QB

Discussion in 'Draft' started by cbman13, Sep 23, 2014.

1. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

I think Winston could be a stud in the NFL...... gunslinger Rothlisberger style. The picks are part of the package but he comes up big in big spots.

That is if he pulls his head out of his ass. If it was my team, I wouldn't feel good handing over that signing bonus

2. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

No offense, but that looks like a target.

3. NYJets17

NYJets17 Well-Known Member

He will make the Bucs into a playoff team instantly.

4. Carpetbagger

Carpetbagger Well-Known Member

The reason amongst many for not taking Winston seems to be character questions, but I'm more concerned over the number of interceptions that he has thrown this year. If he is throwing 4 ints against Florida, what is he going to do against all the defenses in the NFL?

Turbocharged23 and sackexchange like this.
  5. NYJets17

Look some of the throws he's made have been qurstionable but I will say it's less than half of them. Two of his main targets are true freshman receivers and 1 who has barely ever seen the field. When Rashad Greene is getting doubled, he has to pass it to one of them and 9/10 they do something incredibly stupid. Whether it's they stop running the route or go the wrong way, they cause a lot of the problems themselves. But Jameis gets some of the blame too, he tries to make the big play way too much instead of hitting the open guy for the small gain. I love that characteristic about him but people who don't actually watch his games won't understand. Winston with a good head coach and offensive coordinator will be great in the NFL. If he goes to Tampa, he will be their QB for quite a while.

6. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

Good thing he's white, respectful and law abiding.

_

Jeti likes this.
  7. NYJets17

These QB's scare the shit out of me man

Mariota is great, in college. He has steadily gotten better and is looking like the Heisman winner this year. BUT he has concerns. His mentality in the NFL: Will he learn to not run and get hurt, is the zip on the ball enough? Can he handle an NFL defense?

Winston, say what you want about him, I have watched every single game of his college career and this kid has it. Not that Mariota doesn't have it, I would say they boy do. But the discredit Winston receives as a QB is outrageous.
    Concerns: Kids a clown, plain and simple, he does some real dumbshit off the field. Keyword, the KID. He just turned 20 this year. He's got a lot of growing up to do but I get it. It's not our fault. Either he does or he doesnt.
    Another concern, the turnovers, Jameis had some pretty good receivers last year and now he's working with 2 true freshman and Rashad Greene. Greene is in a class of his own, 2nd round pick no doubt. Regardless, he needs to take care of it more. a good coaching staff can fix up what Jameis needs to succeed.

I don't see this as a Draft 1 and 2. scenario.

I see them as 1A and 1B. Both would be great to have on the team.

I don't know who I'd pick tbh, I'm glad I wont be the GM who has to decide (or Idzik because we'll end up with a CB)

8. JStokes

Obviously I'm in the Mariota camp but Winston may (and should) turn out to be an outstanding NFL QB. The off field stuff concern is legit, but if we don't get Mariota I would absolutely take Winston and hold my breath that he matures off the field. We can't wait for next year to get a QB.

_

Poeman likes this.
  9. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

I'm on board with this.

10. tomz

tomz New Member

Winston will be 21 years old when the 2015 draft kicks off. Give him 2 years to mature out. The same 2 years will apply to Mariota, Grayson and Hundley for their game skill.

The problem is if Jets draft a qb in top 5, he will start right away. The various pressure will pour on a selected starter. Find a veteran qb to absorb this kind of pressure and allows a new draftee to learn how to play NFL game.

If Jets are in the "win now" mode, they will need a veteran qb and draft a qb in 2nd or 3rd to groom. If Jets are in the "rebuilding" mode, they push for Mariota or make a trade for Winston.

11. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

I'm no fan of Winston as a person but you have to respect his game. If Harbaugh were our coach I'd have no doubts he would keep Winston in line.

12. JStokes

The fallacy in this argument is that there is no QB in the 2nd or 3rd to "groom". That's just as big a fallacy as taking a "developmental" QB. You can groom and develop a Kellen Clemens/Christian Ponder/Jake Locker all you want and he's never going to become a top 5 QB. Not Hundley, not Grayson, not Petty. Andy Daulton is the ceiling for those guys. Good QB, never great. I prefer not to throw away any picks this year on any QB not named Mariota or Winston on the off chance that we can strike gold. It'd be a fools gold errand.

We are going to end up a 3-13 team most likely.

We're the very definition of "rebuilding".

_

13. tomz

tomz New Member

Jets have plenty cap room so I don't rule "win now" mode out yet.

14. JStokes

All the cap room in the world is not getting us a premier QB.

Do you want to give Hoyer all the money you're going to need to give a franchise QB? Bradford?

You think we're win now with Matt Moore or Austin Davis?

You think Vick or Geno somehow make us a winner next year?

I get that teams go from worst to first often but we're not in that category. We don't have Matt Harvey coming back next year and a year older deGrom and matured Wheeler and potentially Syndegard and Montero waiting in the wings. We're not an up-and-coming team with a bright outlook.

I honestly care little about 2015. I care more about 2016 through 2026.

_

15. tomz

tomz New Member

Sure Jets can win with Bradford or Hoyer at the helm. Get either of them and then bolster OLB, CB and either WR or OL with veterans. Draft OL or WR as top 5. OL and WR hold greater value than qb class for 2015 top 10 prospect. I would not reserve qb spot for top 5 where none of qbs deserve to be taken.

If Jets are still a sitting duck then they can have qb in top 5 and I will see you in 2017.

16. JStokes

Absolutely we could be a perennial 9-7 team, lose in the wild card round and be no closer to winning a championship than we've been for a while.

The 2016 QB class does not have a prospect anywhere near Mariota and Winston.

I'm tired of mediocrity. WR or OT or CB or OLB does not change the franchise.

A QB does. At some point you NEED to roll the dice.

Having a really high pick in a year when there is a potential franchise changing QB sitting there for you does not happen all that often.

_

17. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

They would certainly have to add in behavioral rules to the contract. Similar to Dez Bryant's contract. He's the most pro-ready QB in the draft.

18. Imagesrdecieving

Imagesrdecieving Well-Known Member

Even if we get one of the top QBs I would love to bring in a serviceable vet to bridge the gap. I want to see our offense work 1st before throwing a young QB to the fire. That way there aren't any built in excuses as to why a youngster isn't performing.

19. JStokes

I don't think there is anyone here that disagrees with that strategy.

Let's just hope the FO is as smart as us.

_

20. Carpetbagger

Carpetbagger Well-Known Member

It's really shocking to see some people on this board give excuses for his turnovers against mediocre competition IN COLLEGE, especially after Sanchez and Geno throwing picks like crazy for the last 6 years. If Winston can't take care of the ball against the ACC, how could he possible do it in the NFL? IDK about you, but I literally can't stomach having qbs who literally throw away game after game.