QB

Discussion in 'Draft' started by cbman13, Sep 23, 2014.

1. Axel3419

Axel3419 Well-Known Member

Who exactly are you thinking about this year? Who is a sure thing?

2. 1968jetsfan

1968jetsfan Well-Known Member

Qualified sure thing, the only two things that are sure things anywhere in life are Death and Taxes.
    But as far as being about as sure thing as anything gets in the NFL when talking the transition to the pros?
    Just keeping it to top 10 picks, or likely top 10 picks.
    Shaq Tompson, Amari Cooper, Vic Beasley, Cedric Ogbuehi, Andrus Peat, Brandon Scherff, Randy Gregory, Leonard Williams.

Those would be the players who are top 10 talent wise but in my opinion least likely to bust.

3. 1968jetsfan

Don't get me wrong, I think both QB's are first round talents, but in my book they both have too many risks (albeit different risks) to take top 5, or maybe even top 10.
    You have a top 5 or top 10 pick you have to take it on someone who's almost a sure thing.

Axel3419 likes this.
  4. Axel3419

Axel3419 Well-Known Member

I agree with you, but ultimately I think the chance of finding a franchise Qb creates an exception. If our scouts/front office/GM truly believes that either Mariota or Winston have the talent to be our future franchise Qb, and if our future coach is ready and willing to craft an offense around that Qb, using a top 5 or top 10 pick is a no brainer.

Of course there's a chance that you get a Ryan Leaf, but if the Jets believe that we have our future franchise guy in our grasp, it's definitely wroth choosing a Qb over a sure thing LT.

If we don't believe in them to such a high level, I 100% agree with you.

5. 1968jetsfan

My main thing is the Jets O-line is so bad that if you draft a QB with a high risk factor that it's likely that he'll be driven out of town before he really has a chance due to poor O-line play. In that scenario I'd be more comfortable with Winston because he's already a pocket passer, but of course he has off field issues that gives him a high bust factor. Mariotta on the other hand needs to work on his pocket mechanics, much like Geno in that regard, and doing that behind a bad offensive line just won't happen, at least not quickly.

I mean the NFL is a QB driven league but in the top 5-10 you just have to go with sure things that can make your team better for a decade. That's just my opinion of course, I love QB's and you need a QB in this day and age but there are several QB's in this draft that aren't as big of talents but are of about equal risk and just a little lower on the talent scale that should be available in the 2nd-4th round that you can safely sit for a year while you rebuild the O-line.

Turbocharged23 likes this.
  6. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The Jets problems right now are:

1. OL is aging and not that good.
    2. No QB.
    3. LB's are aging.
    4. DB's are iffy with injuries and age.

So you fix 1 or 2 before anything else unless somebody just blows you away talent and value wise in the 1st round. The biggest problems the Jets have had in recent years are their inability to find/develop a QB and the fact that they're really likely to see whoever the next man up is on the OL fall down on the job and fail to help the team. If D'Brick got hurt next season or stepped down again the Jets could have Drew Brees at QB and the odds are the season would go straight down the tubes.

Turbocharged23 likes this.
  7. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Yeah, the state of the offensive line is very shaky at best. Hopefully we can make a run at Mike Iupati via FA, and target a tackle early in the draft to replace Brent and eventually take over Brick's spot. I think the Jets can roll with Brick at LT for at least another year. The QB situation, the more I watch these spread offense QBs, the less I want them. Kaepernick was AWFUL throwing from the pocket last year and was shaky in regards to scrambling. Wilson was great because he runs to set up the throw - still he's had a mediocre season as well.

We need a pocket passer that can make plays down the field and has that awareness, in terms of that Winston would be the best one available, but his attitude makes him a huge red flag in my book. Best case is to trade down with someone that really wants Winston or Mariota and try and pry away some picks for this draft and next.

Br4d likes this.
  8. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

I don't think there's any chance he'll be a Ryan Leaf. That guy was a whack job right off the bat, folks knew he was a douche before he was drafted.

If he busts, it'll be because he's ineffective as a QB, not because he's a bad crazy guy.

_

The Uniform Bomber likes this.
  9. JStokes

Two players to watch today at 3:30.

Brett Hundley UCLA and Garrett Grayson Colorado State.

I'll be flipping back and forth.

_

10. TouchyFeely

TouchyFeely Well-Known Member

Grayson is looking good this year. If we dont go QB R1, I want Grayson in the second or third.

11. JStokes

I'm interested in seeing him. Haven't seen a lot of him. I just feel like I'd like to get a QB taller than 6-2.

_

12. 1968jetsfan

Didn't see the game but it appears Hogan had a good game, I really wish he could shine up to his talent level....great name for an offense "Hogan's Heroes." But he just never can seem to put things together in accordance with his other factors....

13. JStokes

So I watched Grayson yesterday, second game I've seen him and I have to admit I'm not overly impressed.

First of all, he's a little guy. I didn't see him take a snap from under center (considering some folks here think that's a major red flag) and I don't see a big time arm.

And he wasn't nearly the best player on the field. That WR Higgins is pretty damn good.

I guess what I'm saying is, if you're thinking about a QB, even in the later rounds, I still want him to be the best player on the field. And this was against Air Force.

Not spending a late round pick on him as a developmental guy because I don't see a top end QB at the end of that development.

_

14. BrooklynJet97

BrooklynJet97 Active Member

Neither QB in Hundley and Grayson decided to show up on the big stage for their team. UCLA is gonna fall hard from #8 after that loss and Grayson lost the opportunity at the MW title. These are the games these guys need to light up the stat sheet. Grayson was missing out routes and overthrowing, compling below 50% of his passes against Air Force and it was a big disappointment. I dont want either guy. I didnt talk about Hundley becuase i wasn't focused on the blowout they were getting.

#5 Baylor vs Texas Tech: Bryce Petty should light the Raiders up and move his stock up to at least #3 on the QB boards.

74 likes this.
  15. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Winston is such a headache - sometimes he looks like the best QB in the nation, then he makes awful decisions and throws 2 picks in the first QTR

16. Geno Da Meano_

Geno Da Meano_ Active Member

This season he's shown similarities to Geno as far as his interceptions go. Not because he's thrown a lot more than expected, but mainly due to the fact that he tries to force the ball into a tight window or goes for something that's just not there. Needs to get out of that habit and learn to throw it away more often.

17. b.reyes16

b.reyes16 Well-Known Member

Winston looks absolutely terrible right now. Florida has a top of the line defense, but holy hell is this bad. FSU should be down by 20 right now.

I don't see Winston as a first rounder. Not anymore and if he runs into any more off the field troubles, he may even go undrafted if he comes out. An incredible talent no doubt, but he's got some things he really needs to work on. If really like to see him stick in college for at least next season. He has some serious maturing to do.

18. NYJets17

NYJets17 Well-Known Member

Y'all have every right to pick Jameis apart after this one, I'm shocked, ive never seen him play like this. Look for a strong second half however

19. Dom

Dom Well-Known Member

lol he wont go undrafted. not even close

20. b.reyes16

b.reyes16 Well-Known Member

I don't think it'd be unheard of. He's really declined this year and he's got a ton of controversy surrounding him. He's an incredible talent, one of the best I've seen, but his image may be a bit too much for teams to handle. Right now, he's playing himself out of the first round. I think he'll go second or third if he comes out. It'd be best for him to stay in school. At the beginning of the year, I didn't think there was any chance he'd get out of the top 10, but he's trending sharply downward.