QB

Discussion in 'Draft' started by cbman13, Sep 23, 2014.

1. BakerMaker

BakerMaker Well-Known Member

You lose Brandin Cooks, you are losing such a dynamic player and I think Mannion is missing Cooks out there. I have not been impressed by him either.

E. Golson in the 1st half looked far more poised than Winston. Granted the Irish were winning the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball but I don't get the separation between the two QBs like it is made out to be and I feel Golson is clearly a year away from ever considering the NFL Draft. Even discounting the character concerns, is Winston seriously a franchise QB and someone who can start right away if not very soon? I don't see it, at least for the 2nd part. He's still a project.

EDIT: And as I say that, he commands himself a nice opening 2nd half drive.

#181 BakerMaker, Oct 18, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2014
  2. BakerMaker

That's what I saw in last year's game vs ND

He should not come out for this year's draft. He has poor mechanics that need a lot of refinement before you ever consider taking him so high in the draft. Usually Qbs get burned on their decision to stay the extra year, I think that will benefit Cook.

3. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Not yet, I think he needs another season of college football.

4. BakerMaker

Wanna give Winston credit, had such a fickle game but that 2nd half was massive. Overmatched 1st half, 2nd half he was awesome with his playmaking. Has to be frustrating to watch that, you don't know what your getting with the kid. Still think he has ways to go before the NFL, not just from a maturity off the field matter either.

5. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Say what you want about Jameis but there's no denying that he's a gamer.

6. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I don't think Garoppolo is going to be bad, I just think the odds he's going to be very good are low. This is true for most highly-touted prospects at the NFL level. Maybe Garoppolo will surprise us and turn out to be a great QB but I doubt it.

7. RubenDias

RubenDias Well-Known Member

dude is funny lol

8. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

Why do you not look at the specific player and always default to what the "odds" suggest.

You realize that because something has or has not happened in the past does not insure the same result in the future. Is it a predictor? Sure. But look at the PLAYER. What do you thing of Garappolo as a player, not about what happened in the past with "highly touted" propects.

_

9. sackexchange

sackexchange Well-Known Member

I'm still not convinced that there is a surefire stud at QB in next year's draft. I think it would be very risky to spend a high first round pick on a QB when there are so many other glaring needs. Would much prefer an O-Lineman in round 1 or possibly a corner or WR.

10. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

build the OL up in this draft. if Geno is still having issues next year, we do whatever we can to trade up in the 2016 draft for Hackenberg.

11. BigSnacks54

BigSnacks54 Well-Known Member

Well if we win three games, which I think we will, Idzik's job will probably be in jeopardy after the 2015 2016 season, so there's no way we can bank on trading up for Hackenberg in 2016. If a QB is there you take him, and I don't there's any way in hell Idzik passes on Mariota if he's still available at our pick. After Cedric, who is the next top tier LT?Maybe Brandon Schereff? But I don't he'll be able to play tackle in the NFL with his short arms. I realize posters here don't like Mariota here,but I'd like to see Idzik take him, start Absoui, draft a WR in round 2, and sign a serviceable guard to replace Colon.

12. 74

74 Well-Known Member

Winston is so overrated.

13. 74

74 Well-Known Member

That post that you responded to with the above is just head shake lol worthy. Guess we should just not draft anybody then eh.

14. BigSnacks54

BigSnacks54 Well-Known Member

Star studed Quarterbacks rarely come. It's too early to tell whether 2014 was one, and we usually have a special QB class every five years or so. I think if there's a QB you like, you have to take him. If you keep prioritizing other positions when QB is a glaring need, you'll end up with stop gaps every two years. Also, every prospect has glaring weaknesses, and you have to take that risk. Andrew Lucks do not come very often, and I'm afraid posters here want Idzik or the future Jets GM to wait for the perfect QB before pulling the trigger.. That's just not going to happen.

#194 BigSnacks54, Oct 20, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2014
  15. HAYN

HAYN Well-Known Member

Garopollo is going to be great because the Pats drafted him. C'mon y'all should know this.

16. 74

74 Well-Known Member

No. He'll be good because he's good.

17. JStokes

Nobody had ever drafted a 2nd year QB in the first round ever. That's why Manziel was not ever going to be and in fact did not get drafted in the first round.

Perfect logic.

_

18. JStokes

What MS said.

Yup.

_

19. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

Erving and Peat are both solid.

20. RubenDias

RubenDias Well-Known Member

Brandon sheriff has slightly longer arms then Joe Thomas.