QB Possibilities (players already in the NFL)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Mambo9, Jan 19, 2013.

?

Who would you prefer to have competing for the Jets starting QB job in 2013?

1. Matt Flynn

25.9%
  2. Kevin Kolb

2.7%
  3. Colt McCoy

4.1%
  4. Alex Smith

23.2%
  5. Michael Vick

6.5%
  6. Nick Foles

7.2%
  7. Trent Edwards

0.3%
  8. Kellen Clemens

2.7%
  9. Someone else please...

27.3%
  1. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

Moore is making about $2.5 million this year. Jax still owes Gabbert a few mil in guaranteed money and they need their cap money to address the rest of the team. They probably start Gabbert another year. Cleveland still has Weeden's contract to deal with as 3 years of his contract is guaranteed. KC has the number one pick and most likely going QB. So not as much comp as you may think.

Moore will probably command somewhere in the range of $3-$4 mil/year. If the Jets are smart they give him a one year deal at $3-$4 mil with an option for year 2.

Moore, as with any pro QB, wants a shot at a starting job so he'd probably jump on a Jets offer in this price range.

2. Bill Belichdouche

Bill Belichdouche Well-Known Member

There is no way anyone should want Alex Smith

He is literally Mark Sanchez

3. Rex's Sweater Vest

Rex's Sweater Vest Active Member

I don't understand the love for Alex Smith; there is a reason the 49ers have put him on the bench, he can only get you so far.. just like Mark Sanchez.

If we want to tak things to the next level we need to either get someone young with a lot of potential like Matt Flynn, or as I voted I'd like to see what Vick can do in a year or two starting here. Vick would never be a long term solution, but I firmly believe this team can quickly rebound and be back to 2009-2010 form.

The AFC is extremely weak at this point in time, next year it really is anyone's conference as far as I'm concerned. There is no team that scares me or stands out as truly dominant; The AFC west is a mess except for Denver, the AFC south doesn't have a single team that I think is elite, I considered the Texans paper tigers. The AFC north isn't that strong, the steelers and ravens are on the decline in spite of their recent run, their windows are closing (Pittsburgh's window probably has closed already) and the Bengals are one of those good teams that are an automatic first round exit, nothing to be afraid of. Denver though a formidable team with Manning is on the clock, Manning won't last that long and isn't exactly intimidating in a playoff setting as his recent failures seem to confirm.

For these reasons I would support bringing in Vick to at least see how things go. If we get our defense back to how it was in 09 or 10, and actually have a viable offense to compliment it we can easily be in the conversation of a dangerous playoff team next year and the year after.

4. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

The problem with Vick is that he just doesn't stay healthy. Looking at each of the past three seasons he has started: 12, 13, and 10 games, respectively. That is simply a major cause for pause and concern. Durability is the first thing you need from your starting quarterback. And this is before we even get into the fact that he turned into a turnover machine this year. Obviously, any quarterback we bring in is going to have some uncertainty associated with him, otherwise he wouldn't be readily available. As a result, we are going to have to take a chance on SOMEBODY . . .I'm just not sure Vick is the right guy.

5. slimjasi

He's Sanchez minus the plethora of game-changing turnovers. Sanchez probably has more physical talent than Smith but Smith makes consistently better decisions and fewer boneheaded mistakes.

6. Rex's Sweater Vest

Rex's Sweater Vest Active Member

I agree with a lot of what you said Slim, but I'm by no means suggesting that Vick is the solution or the guy going forward. I just don't know if ANYONE available right now is the solution going forward, and if this is the case, and there are no guaranteed long term solutions available to us then I say just reach out to Vick until that solution becomes available is clear.

All I know is the future of this franchise when it comes to the QB position is not currently on the roster. I don't want to draft a QB that isn't a lock to be a good nfl starter, and moreover I don't trust our offensive coaches to mold any raw talent at QB altho Mornhinweg might be better there than Cav or Sparano might have been.

To me the dream scenario would be to have Vick now, and then draft Johnny Manziel down the road, two similar types of players, dual threat to pass and run. Of course that we would either mean we'd have to pull off a massive trade or be so terrible as to get a very early pick if not the #1 pick.

I'm interested in Matt Flynn, but I don't know how much of this guy is just hype or reality, he had a great game against Detroit, but he was also beat out by a rookie for the starting job so I don't know what to think with him even though I'd certainly take Flynn over Sancez.

7. slimjasi

I agree. I mean, Vick would by no means be a disaster and I'm at the point where I would rather see anyone (really, anyone) start opening day other than Sanchez. Matt Flynn is an unknown (and I agree that it is a concern that he got beat out by a rookie after signing that lucrative contract) and everyone else on that list other than Vick is either decidedly mediocre or worse. Thus, I would have to agree that Vick has the most upside/physical potential out of everyone on that list. To be honest, we are in a really tough spot . . . we essentially need to luck out and pick the right unproven/flawed qb in order to make big strides next year.

And yeah, sign me up for your dream scenario.

8. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

We can expect the way Mark has been getting killed behind our O-Line to continue, so whoever we bring in better be SERIOUSLY durable.

9. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

10. slimjasi

We Definitely need to improve our pass protection.

11. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

Someone else because we have El Stinko. Give Tebow, McElroy or a draft pick a competition. OR just put El Stinko in there so we can get Teddy Bridgewater next year.

12. 85inthehall

85inthehall Well-Known Member

Guys who will not be coming - Vick, Smith, Flynn (money, money, why would they trade him for Sanchez?)

It will be a backup - Henne, Moore, Henson, Campbell

Sanchez will get to compete. If he can be effective like in 2011 without as many mistakes - say 15 turnovers max - all of the sudden he is an option to keep or trade.

13. VanderbiltJets

VanderbiltJets Active Member

^This guy beat me to it.

All I'm going to contribute here is to say that until someone explains exactly how the Jets could possibly afford another QB monetarily (much less giving up draft picks in return) for next season?

Because really the only way this cap (and QB) situation could possibly get any worse would be if the Jets brought in another QB with at least a decent-to-big cap number and under contract through at least 2014 (Flynn, Kolb, and Alex Smith assuming his contract is guaranteed in '14).

Add Vick to the list because, given his attitude towards the end of the season, I doubt he comes to the Jets without receiving an extension.

14. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

And of the four, the only one better than Nacho, is arguably Vick.

15. slimjasi

This is definitely the most likely scenario, however, there is still a ton of uncertainty regarding how this front office will attack our glaring weakness at quarterback. Everything is on the table.

16. Bill Belichdouche

Bill Belichdouche Well-Known Member

Probably because smith has an infinitely better supporting cast

17. ProfJets

ProfJets Well-Known Member

I don't want Kolb either, but in the interest of fairness I'm pretty sure he did beat out John Skelton; he just got hurt afterwards.

18. slimjasi

no question about it. (FYI, I DO NOT want Alex Smith) But he's also been far less turnover prone over the course of his entire career (not just since the niners have gotten good). For example, since 2006, Alex Smith has not thrown more than 12 interceptions in a single season (Compare that to Sanchez who has thrown at least 13 picks in all 4 of his seasons). Look at Alex Smith's last several seasons:

2009: 18TD, 12INT (81.5 QB rating)

2010: 14TD, 10INT (82.1 QB rating)

2011: 17TD, 5INT (90.7 QB rating)

2012: 13TD, 5INT (104.1 QB rating) (got benched with the highest QB rating of his career)

My point is NOT that I want Alex Smith (I think he's a dink and dunk artist who doesn't take any chances and doesn't make enough plays down the field to win the biggest games). All I am saying is that, as a player, he's essentially the exact opposite of Sanchez, in that he is fundamentally NOT mistake prone (at the expense of not making enough plays down the field)

#58 slimjasi, Jan 19, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2013
  19. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

IMHO, on that list, Vick is absolutely the worst choice. Injury prone, over the hill, not too smart protecting himself or the football, able to make horrible decisions on the red zone on any given game. Not a WCO type QB
    Flynn and Smith better, savvier than Sanchez but not worth the money/impact to the cap
    Cobb could compete with Sanchez and take his job in a heart bet, Rex non withstanding.

20. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

You are taking Smith's stats in years 5 through 8.

Take a look at Smith's first 4 seasons and he was far worse than Sanchez.

He had 19 TD and 31 Int. His interception % was 3.875 and TD % was 2.375

Sanchez has a lower INT % - 3.7. But Sanchez has been far more productive in his first 4 seasons than Smith ever was. He has thrown for 68 TDs and run for 12 more - 80 TDs.

Smith threw for 19 TDs and ran for 2 in his first 4 seasons. Sanchez has a TD % of 3.6 compared to Smith's awful 2.375.

Smith is just an older, less productive version of Sanchez who got coached up the past two seasons and still was replaced by a QB with no experience and upside in the middle of a season while on a team that is a SB contender. What more do you need to hear???

Add in that he will cost a fortune and he is not worth is. I think Smith will be a major bust next year wherever he lands when he no longer has one of the NFLs best OLs, running game, and defense. At his best, he is a game manager. At his worst - he is ineffective. Aren't we done with game managers?