QB Options Not On Roster

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by #1 Jets Fan, Oct 29, 2012.

1. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

Same here. Flynn is owed $3M next season less than Sanchez, but if teh Jets paid that difference and sweetend the deal they may trade QB for QB reuniting Sanchez and Carroll.

Sending the Jets Flynn as the next great hope.

2. 74

74 Well-Known Member

Flynn is fools gold. Grade A backup material.

Rivers is in an accelerating downward spiral from bad to horrible.

Romo will be in River's land soon (evidence: dez is the only one making plays on that team anymore) but no way in hell that's a viable option anyway.

Stanzi may be the next Tom Brady. Probably not. But I'd give that a shot over vick and rivers and all the washed up players who's names we keep hearing.

#622 74, Dec 30, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2012
  3. 74

74 Well-Known Member

aw man, got merged... that sucks..

4. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

Or you could have a passer rating of 120 with Sanchez.....

Anyway, I would like to see Matt Moore come in along with a rookie QB (Nassib maybe) and have a QB competition between Sanchez, Moore, Nassib, and McElroy with one player being released.

I don't want Alex Smith though. Alex Smith has benefited from the system and the players around him.

5. PearsonJones

PearsonJones New Member

Is Brett Farve rethinking his retirement again?

6. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

if Rivers can be had at a decent price I say why not? Not that I think SD will give up on him.

7. MikeSLTJ23

MikeSLTJ23 Well-Known Member

Draft a QB every other year until we get lucky.

Go into next season with a camp battle between McElroy, I'd say Matt Moore, and take a flier on someone like Bray or Nassib in the draft.

8. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

As long as it's a 6th round flier.

9. MikeSLTJ23

MikeSLTJ23 Well-Known Member

Draft picks are cheap now with the rookie caps. It's not like we get most of them right anyway. There's no harm in trying it until we hit one.

My other idea, and I don't know what kind of pick it would cost (if they'd even entertain it), but I would love to trade for Brock Osweiler. A project pick last season in the 2nd round, he's got all the tools, and a year behind the must studious QB in NFL history is always a great bonus. However, it may not even be an option. That's just who I would like to take a chance on if it were.

10. NewYorkEveryThing

Either give up our 2nd + for cousins. Or we can draft a 2nd or 3rd rounder

The jets are gonna have to find a QB on the cheap.

I like cousins better because he has some playing time under the belt.

I will take Flynn if seattle takes dirty and a pick.

11. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

They're not cheap though in terms of value added to the roster. A 2nd round pick is probably 25% or more of the free value an NFL team gets each year. A 3rd round pick is maybe 20%. You have to hit on those guys because when they bust out or become a backup you have really hurt the value on the team.

So if you take a flier using your 2nd or 3rd round pick you basically better hit on that flier or you're in trouble. One of the reasons the Jets are in so much trouble right now is that they took a flier on Vlad Ducasse in 2010. Another reason is that they consolidated a lot of value into Shonn Greene in 2009. Those decisions took a lot of value off the roster.

Another decision that nobody would argue with too much was the decision to trade up for David Harris in 2007. If you look at the roster though the Jets got a good player out of that not a star and they lost on potential depth picks in the process.

Usually you can get a good player just by exercising a 2nd round pick. Trading up and consolidating value to find a good player is nearly as bad as sitting in place and taking an average one. It's much worse than sitting in place and taking a good player.

12. Axel3419

Axel3419 Well-Known Member

Trading up to get Hill is another good example. We won't know how good Hill is for another year or so, but either way we lost a decent amount of value in the picks that we traded away. We lost a 5th round and a 7th, I believe, and although we usually don't strike gold in later rounds, we could have found someone worth starting....like Alfred Morris...

13. Jetsandcanes

Jetsandcanes Active Member

Romo

Any chance Woody makes a run at him?

Tony needs a change of scenery badly

14. RobertTheJr

RobertTheJr Member

Romo can barely handle the Dallas media.

15. mute

mute Well-Known Member

I just dont get Romo. Why does he flop in big games?

16. ArmandJ

ArmandJ Well-Known Member

Uh...no.

He'll win the small games...but he will fucking kill you with a boneheaded INT in a big game..

17. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

I honestly think it's to late for Romo at this point, I wouldn't touch him. When Mark Sanchez has more playoff wins then you do after 12 years (1 win) you have problems on your hands. It's one of those things in Dallas every year they think this is the year Romo steps up and every year they lose the game to get to the playoffs. The giants knocked them out last year and the redskins this year... Is this a trend?? Beat Dallas in a take all game and go to the Superbowl??

18. RobertTheJr

RobertTheJr Member

And let's be honest, he can't win with Miles Austin, Dez Bryant, Jason Witten, and DeMarco Murray. He is not winning here.

19. TexNYJ

TexNYJ New Member

Because he is stupid. I'm not trying to be mean, I really mean that he is in daily life not a smart individual. He's like fucking Opie from the Andy Griffith show

20. Jetsandcanes

Jetsandcanes Active Member

Ya not saying he would be the answer but dam it'd be nice to see a qb who is able to make some plays.

I don't see anyway possible we can start next season with Sanchez, he had one of the worse seasons I've ever seen a qb have on ANY level