QB Options Not On Roster

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by #1 Jets Fan, Oct 29, 2012.

1. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The Jets would be better off drafting a QB in the 1st round than making a trade for somebody else's 3rd round pick a year ago.

There's a reason everybody let Cousins slip to the 3rd round last year and as soon as the euphoria around not having Sanchez as the QB any more evaporated we'd all realize why Cousins wasn't a high pick last year.

If the Jets are ever going to develop a strong QB who can lead them to consistent contention they're either going to get wildly lucky, like the Pats, or they're going to take a QB in the draft by the 36 pick and get a bit lucky then also. That's the way it's done in the NFL. Pretending anything else is going to work is silly.

BTW, Matt Schaub is NOT the reason the Texans are a strong team right now. Before they built the great defense and the strong running game he was a good QB leading them to 8-8 or so every year. Don't forget that part.

Just turning Sanchez into a good QB doesn't do squat for getting the Jets a Super Bowl trophy. They need to go find a great QB or they're going to be in nearly the same position they are in now - with the QB not able to carry the rest of the team to the promised land.

#361 Br4d, Dec 17, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2012
  2. Br4d

The Redskins drafted Cousins to be a backup QB to RGIII. That's where 90% of the QB's taken in the 3rd round wind up, as career backups or worse.

3. NotSatoshiNakamoto

The Jets had the most difficult schedule IN THE LEAGUE up to a few weeks ago. Now they're finally evening out. People trying to say we've got it easy schedule wise are dead wrong.

Rex has made the playoffs 2 out of 3 years and has an opportunity to make the playoffs in 3 out of his 4 years as a head coach. That's not bad, especially considering he lost his best offensive and defensive players (among many others) for the season to injury this year.

4. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

They were in it until week 17 last year too. The Jets blew it obviously.

Don't know what's going to happen coming up, but I still feel confident with Rex that the Jets will always be right there...

They just really need to figure out how the hell to turn the offense into something worthwhile.

5. Br4d

That would be spending high draft picks on that side of the ball until they had enough talent to field a good to great offense.

1977 #1 T Marvin Powell. #2 WR Wesley Walker
    1978 #1 G Chris Ward, #3 TE Mickey Shuler
    1980 #1 WR Lam Jones (you miss some picks but you keep trying), #2 WR Ralph Clayton (ditto)
    1981 #1 RB Freeman McNeil, #2 RB Marion Barber

1981 Jets Offense is 9th in points scored.

1982 #2 T Reggie McElroy

1982 Jets Offense is 3rd in points scored.

1983 #1 QB Ken O'Brien, #2 RB Johnny Hector, #3 WR Jo-jo Townsell

1983 Jets Offense is 19th in points scored.

1984 #2 C Jim Sweeney, #2 TE Glenn Dennison

1984 Jets Offense is 15th in points scored.

1985 #1 WR Al Toon

1985 Jets Offense is 7th in points scored.

1986 #1 G Mike Haight, #2 T Doug Williams

1986 Jets Offense is 11th in points scored.

You get out what you put in. The Jets have invested few high picks on the offensive side of the ball recently. So the offense sucks. The scary thing is you get a lag effect also, since you only get to see a draft in full bloom 2 or 3 years down the road. So the Jets suckitude on offense may well continue for several years based on all the #1 picks on defense recently.

6. xxedge72x

A good start would be getting a dynamic play maker and some better OL help...

7. gunner99

gunner99 New Member

sign a backup

there are 31 backup QB's in the league. We need to sign one of them to take over as our QB going forward. When you look around the league and see guys like the 49ers, redskins, etc have as a backup you wonder what the hell are the jets doing. There are close to 50 QBs better then the two we have. I just dont know what the hell rex is thinking? hasselbeck? flynn? A. Smith? Vick? anyone please!!! end this nightmare with the party boy sancheese who never works hard....

8. Br4d

A really good start would be getting away from the idea that a move here or there might fix the problem and instead taking a systemic approach to making the Jets offense good enough to compete with the Patriots on a regular basis.

Tom Brady is going to go away sooner or later and then hopefully the Pats come back to earth. He might well play another three or four years though and I think it would be nice if the Jets planned to actually be able to put up points like the Pats at some point during that span.

Positions the Jets are not good enough to compete with the Pats at right now: QB, RB, WR, TE, and likely at several positions on the line moving forward. That's kind of like the entire offense being second-tier compared to the standard required to win the AFC East. The results this year just kind of hammer that in.

Going and getting a few 28 year old free agents on offense doesn't fix the problem it just covers it up for a year or two of less than Patriot play until the players go over 30 and then the offense looks sickly again.

There really is no substitute for building a football team. The franchises that do this prosper long-term. The ones that don't are mostly also-rans with an occasional moment in the sun. But not a big one.

9. xxedge72x

Agreed completely.

Still, the Jets need to start somewhere so that we're not simply waiting for five years for that offense to come along. You need to prioritize needs vs what's available.

It's entirely reasonable to say that QB is need #1 but that doesn't necessarily stack up against the talent in this upcoming draft if what people are saying is true. Maybe in this case you go with the second or third need in order to get the best possible player.

As much as we need to spend our resources on offense, how much can you truly complain if the Jets end up using their first round pick on the pass rusher we haven't had since John Abraham?

10. VanderbiltJets

VanderbiltJets Active Member

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/56896/2012-nfl-strength-of-schedule

1) Interesting seeing the Pats in dead last there
    2) Going on last year's records the NYJ were middle-of-the-pack, but given that so many teams on our schedule improved relative to last year (MIA, SEA, IND, STL) I'm not surprised that our SOS is underrated.

http://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/ranking/strength-of-schedule-by-team
    ^According to here the Jets recently dropped (staggeringly) from #2 SOS to #21.

11. VanderbiltJets

No no no no no. Sanchez doesn't suck because he's bad, he sucks because his contract means we're stuck with him. Any QB brought in next year should have little (if any) guaranteed money past 2013 as a prerequisite.

12. Br4d

I can't complain in that situation. I just wouldn't expect the Jets to be a highly competitive team next season with an offense likely in nearly as bad shape as we're in this season. I wouldn't expect the situation to change dramatically for a year or maybe two after that either because the Jets young talent on offense isn't looking like they're going to be able to help the team make a push in the short term.

If what the Jets are trying to do is build a great defense then they're on the path to doing that. They have some missing pieces they need to fill in and they'll likely lose a piece or two more going forward but it's easy to see where the great defense maybe materializes from in a few years.

If what they're trying to do is build a great team? Well in that regard they are failing and I don't think even the great defense that might show up along about 2014 is going to make the Jets into a great team. You need a great offense or a good balanced team to be a contender in today's NFL. The Jets will be shy both of those goals in a few years at the rate they are going and with the plan they appear to be using.

13. VanderbiltJets

Since 2004 (Schaub) the 3rd Round QBs have been pretty bad outside of Mallett and Cousins (which makes a lot of sense)

14. Br4d

The guys before 2004 going back to the beginning of the 7 round draft are pretty bad also. Brian Griese is the best of them and he wasn't a star.

Brian Griese is the only QB taken in the 3rd round in the salary cap era that has won a playoff game.

15. xxedge72x

I don't think the Jets are as bad off as maybe you're suggesting. The difference between the first two years when they made it to the AFCCG and these past two years when we're basically barely missing is offensive playmakers.

When you look at a lot of the teams that have won the Super Bowl recently (the Packers and Saints jump to the front in my mind on this) they both had great offenses combined with poor yet opportunistic defenses. Their defenses both had playmakers who showed up in some very big spots for them during the postseason (Tracy Porter).

I think that theory could work in reverse... I don't necessarily think it's the optimal way forward as the evidence shows that in today's NFL offense usually beats out defense... but there are certain teams out there... the 49ers in particular (and the 09-10 Jets) that show that great defense can be a winning formula when the offense provides opportunistic playmaking.

Just think back to the Texans game where Sanchez/Edwards/Holmes bailed the Jets out on the final drive. It's one thing if that happens once... but the Jets were doing it almost every week it felt like... the cardiac kids. They weren't playing "good" offense. But they were opportunistic and made plays in big spots. We haven't had that since certain guys left... Edwards the main one.

This year in particular is brutal with Holmes and Keller both going down, Hill being SO raw, and the running game not including a slasher ala Darren Sproles (hell Tomlinson) to act as a relief valve for Sanchez. Still... despite all that the Jets are staring the playoffs right in the face again.

Hence... I agree with you that rebuilding the offense is going to take several years... but if the Jets get a couple of playmakers and stick with the formula they'll continue to at least have a shot at the playoffs every year. If you can make the playoffs... anything can happen.

16. duncc5

duncc5 Member

Well said. The problem here is that not only do we have below-average QB play (to put it mildly), but we also have one of the worst supporting casts in the league, even with Tone and Keller healthy. Since Sanchez will probably be back next year, we desperately need a WR and a RB. Hill is way too raw to start opposite of Santonio, McKnight is made of glass, and SG/BP are two of the slowest backs in the league. I also can't see any way we go into next season with Howard as our starting RT... fingers crossed.

17. BrucekilledBoomer

BrucekilledBoomer Active Member

Cousins went in the 4th...and Wilson looks pretty good this year.

18. #1 Jets Fan

#1 Jets Fan Guest

Phillp Rivers?

If we could get Norv Turner? Maybe we could trade Sanchez and Revis for Rivers? As much as I would hate to see Revis go I think we need a QB even more. What u guys think?

19. Danny@ATL

Danny@ATL New Member

Rivers is about the same as Sanchez with more yardage.

20. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

Rivers is down this year but damn I mean come on. Rivers is leaps and bounds better than Sanchez. But for that matter, so am I.

IDK if I'd trade Revis for Rivers but I would certainly entertain the thought with or without Norv.