QB Options Not On Roster

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by #1 Jets Fan, Oct 29, 2012.

1. NYJetsMetsCTHuskies

NYJetsMetsCTHuskies Active Member

That's bullshit... The Jets won't start someone just because of their contract. Their ass gets release or they hold the clipboard.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

2. deathstar

deathstar Well-Known Member

Matt Moore is a free agent...

3. ajax

ajax Well-Known Member

The Jets & nearly every professional sports team out there factors in salary when determining starters. Salary also determines how many opportunities a player gets to "prove himself".

Next season things might change because it's Sanchez last year on contract. However, if he had 2 or 3 guaranteed years, he'd definitely be starting every game next season too.

4. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

Yes and reaching in the draft or overpaying a journeyman QB just so Sanchez won't start is a huge waste resources. If there's nobody there, don't force it.

5. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

I would take Moore over Sanchez everyday of the week.

And ftr there is certainly no rule, not even an overwhelming business consideration, that means just because Sanchez has a guaranteed year next year that he is a lock, and should be, to be the starting Qb. The Jets quite simply are not required to flush next season down the toilet because of Sanchez's contract. Which is precisely what they would be doing if they just hand it over to Sanchez without even attempting some other approach. Any viable approach.

I still think the Jets need to see what they have in McElroy, even if solely to see if he should be the #2 next year. After that my top pick would be Kyle Orton to hold the fort, then Matt Moore, perhaps Flynn if he's available, and Smith, too. I would tend to shy away from Vick because he seems to fragile. And shares with Sanchez a major fault, which is turning it over too much. I do think he is the better Qb of the two, however.

After this weekend we may even add Kolb to that list.

6. Moonshine

Moonshine New Member

I live in Philly, I go to school to here, I've seen every game.... Vick can still play at an extremely high level.

Let me tell you what happened.

Jason Peters (Possibly best LG in NFL, if u dont know) gets hurt before TC. Season ender.

Eagles sign Demetress Bell from Buffalo. Okay. Problem is Howard Mudd runs a very complex zone blocking scheme.. The one he used to Indy. Bell can't pick it up, he looks confused and terrible in preseason.

The line going into the season: King Dunlap (viciously terrible, Evan Mathis (very old), Jason Kelce (Amazing, second coming of Jeff Saturday. However he is only a second year guy), Danny Watkins (2011 first round pick. Really really struggling. Kind of the Ying to Vernon Ghost's Yang), and Todd Herremans (good lineman, sturdy, not great but... Good. Only problem is he's playing out of position. He is a tackle. But still he does okay at guard.)

Alright you've got a line basically with only two players that should be starting, and even they have some small issues.

Wouldnt you know it Vick gets twice in the preseason. Misses the month of August in its entirety.

So he comes in rusty and gets hit every given play. Linebackers basically have an freeway to Mike's black ass.

If it's not bad enough, Herremans, Kelce, AND Watkins all get hurt. So does King Dunlap and backup center Dallas Reynolds. Okay Dunlap and Reynolds suck, Watkins borderline sucks, but now they dont even have an nfl O-line. Most teams have one legit backup guard and one legit backup tackle. With both tackles, two centers, and a guard out.... Dude. You're screwed.

Philly's line went from really bad to historically the worst line in the NFL. Literally every guy except maybe, maybeeeee Bell would be cut from the Jets roster and not even kept on PS.

Vick gets hit every single play. If I weren't typing on my phone, I'd look up the numbers but its insane. I dont think anybody in the past decade has been hit as much as Mike.And this is a guy known for escapability.

You'd be chucking balls at blurry targets too.

Knowing they're screwed his teammates quit on him. Avant gets hurt, JMac comes up with a new phantom injury every week, numerous catchable balls get tipped and turn into picks.

With all this going on Vick still orchestrates game winning drives against Cleveland, NYG, Baltimore, and Pitt. All top ten defenses.

IMHO Vick is a better choice than Sanchez or anybody on the draft.

7. kevmvp

kevmvp Well-Known Member

Michael Vick is living off of an 8 game stretch he had in 2010. Outside of those 8 games he basically is what he was in Atlanta. A below average passer who gets hurt a lot.

8. NotSatoshiNakamoto

He also turns the ball over at about the same rate Sanchez does. So where's the upgrade there?

9. Bellows1

Bellows1 Well-Known Member

Not to mention his price tag.

10. The_Darksider

The_Darksider Well-Known Member

Can you lend me your glasses? I'd like to see that too.

11. The_Darksider

The_Darksider Well-Known Member

"BACK"? Even in '09 we didn't have a defense at the Niner's level. We never had a pass rush. Secondary was better but that's it. The linebackers and defensive line crush what we had.

12. Brunell's Debt

Brunell's Debt New Member

People are going to hate this suggestion, but I think that the Jets should look into signing Rex Grossman as a backup this offseason.

He's certainly not a long term solution, but he's a better playmaker than he's given credit for and he would provide a legitimate training camp challenge for Sanchez. Most importantly, he'd sign a one year deal for peanuts -- allowing the Jets to completely reset at the position after next year.

13. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Why so we can watch a different number suck?

14. Brunell's Debt

Brunell's Debt New Member

Personally I don't see a real upgrade available in the draft or free agent market this offseason (and Sanchez's contract makes cutting him a bad option anyway) -- so I think the best solution is finding a veteran who can push Sanchez, and kick the can down the road for a season.

It's not a sexy move, but the Jets don't have a lot of good options.

15. wewantsapp

wewantsapp Well-Known Member

I'd be on board with Matt Moore.

16. wewantsapp

wewantsapp Well-Known Member

Come on. At his best, Grossman is not better than Sanchez. In addition, he doesnt offer the slightest possibility of any kind of longer term solution, - meaning its not like we have a chance of getting lucky like Arizona did with Kurt Warner after many thought he was washed up after leaving the Giants.

17. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

A real nightmare scenario that occurred to me while reading Serby's list of the possible QB options for next year: the Raiders offer the Jets Carson Palmer for a 1, 2 and Sanchez.

The Raiders are 3-10 with Palmer at QB and clearly rebuilding at this point. He's having an ok season assuming you don't look at the # of wins as a primary stat for him.

The Jets think about the offer for a couple of days and then take their 1 pick and Sanchez to the 49ers looking for Alex Smith.

We wind up with the Neil O'Donnell situation all over again, with a game managing QB trying to manage an impossible situation on offense and failing.

18. FOURTHANDLONG

FOURTHANDLONG Active Member

Sanchez will be starting and our Franchise will be set back another three years. This is a disgrace!

19. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

Me to im on board with almost anyone at this point though, But Moore has shown he can make plays win games and be confident doing so

20. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Matt Moore >>> Sanchez.