QB Options Not On Roster

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by #1 Jets Fan, Oct 29, 2012.

1. BigGorilla

BigGorilla New Member

Bring back Vinny !!!

2. fltflo

fltflo Active Member

How about seeing what we have already, dress and play McElroy what the hell did we draft him for if not to, at the very least see what he can do in live NFL action behind the starting line. It just amazes me in all the QB talk his name never gets mentioned. The kid knows the offense and honestly can he be any worst then Mark ?
    Plus all the talk about his weak arm, can he throw the ball any worst then Tebow ?
    So you have a QB smarter then our starter with a better throwing action then our backup, and they don't even dress him and most fans don't included him in the QB discussion. Time to suit this kid up and see what he is made of before he is thrown out with the bath water.

3. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

Vick is a shell of his former self. That's what happens when you take as many direct hits as he has. The Jets offensive line looks like the iron curtain compared to the pitiful Eagles O line. They are literally trying to get Vick killed. We need a young veteran QB. Take a flyer on Matt Moore or another decent 2nd stringer on somebody's roster.

4. skeleton_frames

Exactly, the lack of an elite QB in this draft combined with the huge cash Jets owe Sanchez next year and the fact that they have an out after 2013 season points toward a 2 season reload. Make GM change this off season, hopefully take elite defender or trade back. Let Sanchez start again next year and likely have another high pick in 2014.

5. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I'd look to take the best player available in the 1st round but I'd trade back a bit to make the fit right if the player sitting on the Jet's pick was a QB, CB or DL.

Why trade back if it is a QB? Because the talent isn't there next year at the QB position to justify a mid to high 1st pick on one of those guys. It's a position of need for the Jets but taking a guy who is a better bet than Sanchez at this point but unlikely to be really good is a limiting move. Wishful thinking at the QB position produces things like Blaine Gabbert and Christian Ponder.

Why not CB or DL? The roster says those spots are the last places that need reinforcement right now. Adding another good CB or DL would just reinforce one of the Jets few strengths while leaving other areas in deep trouble.

Ideally the Jets have a dynamic pass rusher at LB sitting there waiting for them on their pick. A guy that everybody agrees has strong potential as a two-way player but particularly strong upside as a pass-rusher at the NFL level.

Yeah, that's another pick on the defensive side but it's a keystone pick and something the Jets are missing to activate all the value they have spent on the DL and in the defensive backfield.

Assuming that DeMarcus Ware-clone is not there waiting for them the priorities probably need to be RT, RB, WR, S or a trade back to get the Jets in position to take several good prospects in the first few rounds to flesh out the roster for the rebuild.

One more note. Just imagine what the Jets look like right now if in 2011 there was a guy just hanging there at the top of the 3rd round tantalizing them because they'd fallen in love with him during the talent evaluation process. Imagine that they'd traded their 3rd, 4th and 5th round picks to move up and acquire him because he wasn't going to last until their 3rd round pick.

Say goodbye to Kenrick Ellis, Bilal Powell and Jeremy Kerley in that scenario.

That's how the Jets got Shonn Greene. Who did they give up by doing that and what has that done to their roster since then?

#205 Br4d, Nov 18, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2012
  6. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

i agree, you just cant throw away picks on probably not going to make it qbs. its just a terrible way to go about it. i dont know the stats but i bet the qb position makes it far less in rounds 3 and 4 than any of the other positions. and you can have so so guys at many many positions, qb is just not one of them.

7. Br4d

There are currently two QB's starting in the NFL who came out of the 3rd and 4th rounds: Matt Schaub and Russell Wilson.

Starting QB's by Round:

1st - Ryan Tannehill, Mark Sanchez, Joe Flacco, Ben Roethlisberger, Brandon Wheeden, Andrew Luck, Jake Locker, Blaine Gabbert, Peyton Manning, Philip Rivers, Carson Palmer, Eli Manning, Michael Vick, Robert Griffin III, Jay Cutler, Aaron Rodgers, Christian Ponder, Matthew Stafford, Matt Ryan, Josh Freeman, Cam Newton, Alex Smith, Sam Bradford.

Top 4 picks of the 2nd - Andy Dalton, Drew Brees, Kevin Kolb

All other 2nd - None.

3rd - Matt Schaub, Russell Wilson

4th - None.

5th - None.

6th - Tom Brady, Matt Cassel

7th - Ryan Fitzpatrick

UDFA - Tony Romo

26 of the 32 starting QB's in the NFL were picked by the 4th pick of the 2nd round.

Every starting QB taken outside the 4th pick of the 2nd round was an afterthought by his team, taken although they already had somebody else they thought would hold the job. QB's don't get taken after the early 2nd round with any expectation that they will ever start at QB in the NFL. It's pure effort, determination and a whopping dose of luck that gets them on the field. Tom Brady never starts a game for the Patriots if Drew Bledsoe doesn't get KO'd by Mo Lewis.

#207 Br4d, Nov 18, 2012
  8. blackssmagic

blackssmagic Well-Known Member

Listen,

I have been reading your posts for years around here so please dont take this wrong. But look at it this way Mark doesnt play like the #5 pick in the 1st rnd so in all reality if we took Clennon or Nassib late it would be no difference as far as play goes. The big difference is in the money tied up with a 4th rnd pick vs Mark. If Mark will take a pay cut comperable to his play then fuck lets stick with Mark but if he want 10mil then he needs to go....

9. Br4d

Mark Sanchez is guaranteed 8.25 million dollars next year. There is no incentive for him to take a pay cut and certainly not under a "take it or we cut you" scenario.

Could a 3rd or 4th round QB work out for the Jets and take them to a Super Bowl? Sure, Tom Brady has taken the Patriots to 5 now. Is it reasonable to make a pick in that range at QB?

Ask yourself if moving on from one guy to the next, a guy you have to pay anyway, justifies spending a valuable asset like a 3rd or 4th round pick. I'd rather spend that pick on a player who might be a plus for us somewhere else and help the 1st round QB that we wind up with get us to a Super Bowl. A 3rd round G looks a lot better to me than a 3rd round QB at this point.

10. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

Well that's all fine and dandy but there's no guarantee that the 3rd round Guard that we pick works out any better than a 3rd round QB that we pick.

If there's a good QB in the 3rd round then we definitely take him. This is a QB league now more than ever.

Obviously we need a QB this coming offseason. Whether it be through the draft or via FA, it must be addressed. Our current QB is awful and there has to be competition to the incumbent before next year or this team risks alienating people even further.

11. Br4d

2012: Russell Wilson, Nick Foles
    2011: Ryan Mallet
    2010: Colt McCoy
    2009: None
    2008: Kevin O'Connell
    2007: Trent Edwards
    2006: Charlie Whitehurst, Brodie Croyle
    2005: Charlie Frye, Andrew Walter, David Greene
    2004: Matt Schaub

You really want to draft 13 guys to find the one guy that might be a real franchise QB?

2003: Dave Ragone, Chris Simms
    2002: Josh McCown
    2001: None
    2000: Giovanni Carmazzi, Chris Redman

You really think the FO's making these picks thought they were getting scrubs who would likely never start an NFL game?

1999: Brock Huard
    1998: Jonathan Quinn, Brian Griese <<< the last QB drafted in the 3rd round to win a playoff game
    1997: None
    1996: Bobby Hoying
    1995: Stoney Case, Eric Zeier
    1994: None
    1993: Billy Joe Hobert <<< 1st QB drafted in the 3rd round in less than a 9 round draft

Look at that list and tell me it is worth taking a QB in the 3rd round.

12. laxin

laxin Active Member

I completely understand this. Mike Glennon is someone who could go in the early second and he is that prototypical QB- cannon of an arm, 6'6. I know you dont want to draft a short QB and want that big arm and tall QB. Glennon is that... I watched some more of him after I wrote that post and he really impressed me.

He makes some throws that make me just say wow. He doesnt have the best pocket presence and is about as mobile as a tree, but boy can he make every single throw you want. He also doesnt seem like a diva that would be overwhelmed by NY.

His stats arent the greatest, but when watching him throw, you can tell that he is a victim of the talent around him. If you put him in Matt Barkley's place and I have no doubt that he is a top 5 pick.

http://draftbreakdown.com/mike-glennon-vs-north-carolina-2012

You draft him in the early second and build around him.

#212 laxin, Nov 18, 2012
  13. laxin

laxin Active Member

The fact is is that the top of the QB class is weak. Geno Smith is solid and has good upside, but do you want to overdraft someone that you'll have to spend a top 5 pick on that should really be picked in the 10-15 range?

We are in a pretty shitty position this year simply because the class is so weak. I like Mike Glennon and Zac Dysert as two guys who have prototypical arms and size that could selected in that early 2nd round range you are talking about.

Also, if Tanny is still here, all this QB talk is a moot point because he has proven he cannot develop a young QB. It would just be a wasted pick.

14. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

I agree about Nassib. I've seen him make Sanchez-like decisions throwing into blanketed receivers when a guy on the opposite side is wide open.

15. laxin

laxin Active Member

He also has pretty bad accuracy past 20 yards... I like his footwork, release and ability to throw within 20 yards though.

16. Organized Chaos

Organized Chaos Well-Known Member

With the rookie wage scale being what it is, doesnt it also make sense to trade up for a first round QB if the talent is there? Teams that have a rookie QB at a good cap number are probably at a huge advantage over teams like us who tie up large amounts of cap space for below average QBs with contracts under the old Rookie deal.

17. Br4d

It's not expensive in cap space to trade up for a 1st round QB but it is expensive in trade value. You have to be sure you're getting the guy if you make the trade.

18. jcjet

jcjet Member

We take Vick I am no longer a JETS Fan as long as he is on the roster. Sorry what he did to Dogs is unforgivable to me.

19. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

20. Brunell's Debt

Brunell's Debt New Member

Honest question: do you feel the same way about Ray Lewis, or Ben Roethlisberger?