QB options for next year

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by 73klecko, Jan 3, 2017.

1. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

Foles

Yankee6 likes this.
  2. GreenGreek

GreenGreek Well-Known Member

Cutler, on a short, reasonably priced 2 year deal, or at least a deal we can cheaply exit in 2 years is fine. With a new OC & QB coach, it may not be wise to throw Hack or Petty straight into the fire. Additionally, if we can land Cutler cheaply enough, he could be a trade chip if/when a team loses a QB to injury.

3. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

makes 0 sense to bring in any qb over 28-29 years old unless its an old clip board holder like brunell to mentor.

otherwise throw petty/hack to the wolves, lose in the process and get a top pick. if one of them shows they can be a backup keep them and dump the other

this romo cutler stuff is idiotic

4. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Romo, Cutler, Kaepernick - their agents each have an obligation to make 31 phone calls. As soon as someone on the other end says "Good afternoon, New York Jets, how may I help you?" they have had a discussion with people in MacCagnan's office. Let's not get carried away.

5. PulseJet

PulseJet Well-Known Member

I think Cutler will want to come here because his wife is a celebrity and she'll want to spend time in NY. Maybe make a reality show like Deckers wife. If they sign him it will be a bad thing for the franchise and I wont be interested. They wont go anywhere but 0.500 with Cutler.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  6. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

From a football standpoint,signing Cutler makes ZERO sense. So, if the Jets were to sign him it would be the absolute proof that they have NO CLUE about what they're doing, and I will be done with them.

7. GreenGreek

GreenGreek Well-Known Member

I'd counter that if the Jets truly believe in Hack, but feel he needs more time, bringing in an accomplished stopgap is not a bad thing. The biggest reason people fear stepping up to mediocrity is because they believe our QB of the future is at the top of the 2018 draft. However, if Mac believes the QB of the future is on the roster, he has no real incentive to tank. Tanking & starting fresh in 2018 with a rookie QB & likely new coaching staff makes this a very long rebuild. Mac may not last long enough to see the end of that process.

8. I'm not FOR th jets signing Cutler per se....but if he's open to competing for the starting job(He likely has no choice if he wants to keep playing) & comes for under $9 mill on a 1 year deal..I'm not sure why that we lead to such fury.

Whether we like it or not they are gonna sign a veteran. If he's not a clearcut franchise upgrade for the long term...the most important thing is that he's willing to compete..and willing to come cheaply.We hope one of the youngsters proves their worth & beats him out in camp...if not..he was a cheap one year bridge like most expected & we go into 2018 ready to pounce on the signal calling savior.

9. ColoradoContrails

That's a pretty big IF.

Even IF he were willing to "compete", do you really think Bowles will allow the "competition"? Of course not. He's going to name Cutler as te starter "Because he gives us the best chance to win (Meaningless games that keep us from getting a top 3 draft pick as long as he's here)".

I believe Macc is going to sign him, and that will be the end of my time as a Jets fan.

TonyFtLaud and PulseJet like this.
  10. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

If they sign this guy I'M OUT [until he stops starting for the team]

PulseJet likes this.
  11. PulseJet

I dont think the Jets need a bridge. I think the best move is having Petty and Hack compete for the starting spot, get them to split the reps throughout training camp, and only if you think putting them in will stunt the rest of the teams development do you consider signing an older vet QB that can run the offense. So if Cutler can wait until say August, and be willing to come for around $5mil then he is our guy.

FJF likes this.
  12. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

13. NYSackExchange

Wonder what it would take to get Matt Barkley here.. very cheap iam sure.He can compete with petty/hack..He also worked with John Morton in college I believe.

14. Ahh yes my friend...therein lies the rub...

Bowles wants a veteran & will not entertain playing the youngsters unless otherwise mandated. Whether we like it or not..he's here till at least October...you really wanna start grooming or perceived savior under this guy's watch?

Throw Cutler to the wolves on a 1 year deal.. we go 3-13..and the long term scope has not been compromised by a stubborn conservative head coach.

All the more reason to not invest in a QB of the future under his watch...let him have all his defensive draft picks this year thats the draft's strength & we need help there as well...next year he's gone & we finally go full court press on offense...starting w. a solution at QB.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  15. ColoradoContrails

I suggested this a few weeks ago but was shot down. IDK, he was rated highly coming out of college. What happened?

16. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

He absolutely sucks is what happened.

Freddy Mondo and almbleamal like this.
  17. ColoradoContrails

Maybe, but he did have a 4 or 5 good games this year, until the last game when he threw 5 picks - still better than Fitz's sixpack though.:rolleyes:

18. PulseJet

Glennon got $18 mil guaranteed on his 3 year deal. Doesn't seem like a lot to me and is interesting that the Jets didn't pursue harder.

19. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

What was the payout this year and in subsequent years, and total value of the contract? Therein, probably lies the answer. He just isn't very good and isn't worth that kind of money.

20. BleedGreen4ever

BleedGreen4ever Active Member

I have a trade scenario how about Richardson for a fourth and Brock osweiler on a renegotiated deal. Say 7-8 million a year over two years