QB options for next year

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by 73klecko, Jan 3, 2017.

1. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I'd argue that unless the Jets are sure about a prospect this year they should just roll with the guys they gambled on last year and in 2015.

If they're certain somebody is going to be the guy and that guy is there on their pick then sure take that shot, but the 6 pick is so valuable that using it on somebody that they are not 100% certain on is a mistake. The trick there is to find somebody they have a high degree of confidence in, at whatever position, and draft them with the 6.

Alternately diffusing value by trading down increase the chances the Jets can get two quality players out of the 6, a prospect that is non-existent if they exercise the pick but becomes possible once it turns into 2 or more picks in a trade.

PulseJet and NYJetsO12 like this.
  2. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Correct

Someone (Ru j) has postulated the Owner has already told Mac his job is safe despite what happens in 2017

Do that for TB too.(Hint Hint OK to Tank).Woody should even tell him he will take him to all of his gastro appoints and pay for all the prescription Nexium/Previcid for goodness sakes

Next manish Mehta has to float the story the boys in the locker room love Uncle Todd and he is a great teacher etc

Maybe the NYG have it even worse if Brandon M joins with them and goes koo koo for Coco Puffs with OBJ...that will be a great distraction!

Bottom line I don't care ...let Bowles be the scapegoat ,,we get our QB after 2-14 and the sun will shine through the clouds for me

#682 NYJetsO12, Mar 5, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2017
  3. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

I don't think TB should be told that he is safe. Mac is driving and I'd expect his view of TB will be: "this year show me the best job you can with players I select."

Because this is how Jets will (should) run: Mac selects, HC implements. If I'm Mac, I want to use this year to evaluate TB: can he be the HC I need? So I don't want him to tank; I want him to make the best case for keeping him beyond 2017.

Accidentally, it'll mean HC must do everything possible to develop young players. If he succeeds - I got myself a nice young base going into 2018 + coach capable of building up a talent.
    And if someone like Payton becomes available, I'll fire TB regardless of how he performed.

4. NYJetsO12

Yes I like that hierarchy with the GM calling the shots

However TB is NOT capable of coaching (IMO) There is not a shred of proof game by game he knows what he is doing..

How he was even hired is beyond me..let the Team go on a 5 game losing streak in 2015 before putting his foot down, game time decisions etc

I think you get that too because if there is somebody better {SP) you are still canning TB even if he "builds up talent"

We have NO QB to speak of and that issue, separate from coaching, can ONLY be solved with a high draft pick for 2018..hence the very real need to tank in 2017..If Bowles "succeeds" we are stuck at 7-9 or 8-8 even 5-11 might be too many wins ..and the Jets misery continues all over again

So what I am saying is what is your "nice young base going into 2018" ? A bunch of RBs receivers and DBs you drafted? The Jets might not draft a QB in this years draft or they might get a VET in FA In the long run I couldn't care less about Bowles or a FAQB...in fact the worse he does the better

5. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

I just saw an article on BR that Glennon is expected to get somewhere in the neighborhood of $15 million per...No way I'm paying that much for a guy that hasn't played much in the past 2yrs and is still a big question mark in terms of his capabilities.

Ideal scenario, sign Geno to a one year deal and try to grab Mahomes in the 3rd , if by some strange stroke of luck the kid gets that far.

#685 Jersey Joe 67, Mar 6, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2017
    101GangGreen101, FJF and NCJetsfan like this.
  6. NYJetsO12

Agree that MG is overpriced but how can you stomach Geno Smith Evo? in that case MY only consolation will be we have ZERO wins in 2017 and our 2018 QB is right there,,,nightmare over

All the QBs including the Draft right now are meh imo I don't see why this stupid org just let Hack and Petty gain some experience while we rebuild SMH

Go ahead take a flyer on PM on some late round..draft 1 every year

7. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

I guess our core disagreement is on QBs. Looks like you already came to a conclusion, but I'm still holding out. IMO decision on Hack is still open.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  8. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

Agree, only if Geno's price is waaaay low (as in $1.5M max). Otherwise, draft another QB in later round and go with it. Worst case, aka best case, you check out who is a dud while championing 2-3 win record and target THE QB in 2018.

9. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

If the Jets give Glennon a contract with 14+ a year, I want Mac gone. Complete waste of money/ wasted a bunch of picks too.

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  10. Snoopdogg

Snoopdogg Active Member

What? Geno? Noooooo.

And if you really like Mahomes or Webb, draft then earlier than everybody else. Why wait around till the third round? Draft then early, or trade up and draft them.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  11. PulseJet

PulseJet Well-Known Member

Ian Rapoport of NFL Media is reporting that the 49ers and Jets are showing “strong interest” free agent QB Brian Hoyer. Hoyer is an interesting free agent give that he’s likely to generate interest from quarterback-needy teams who aren’t willing to hand out either a big-money deal or are unwilling to part with draft picks in a trade for someone like Jimmy Garoppolo. Both teams have been tossed out as potential options for Mike Glennon. However, it appears as though both teams aren’t willing to pay him as much as he could end up getting from the Bears.

Sounds like the Jets are going after a cheap QB that will provide stability or a floor if the two QB's on roster currently are having difficulties. Sounds fine to me.

12. STARoSCREAM

STARoSCREAM Well-Known Member

I disagree, we can't make the same mistake every freakin' year.

Let Hack sink or swim and stop trying to catch lightning in a bottle. Cut every old player and see which young guys rise to the challenge. Build through the draft an see whats what.

If the young QB's struggle, let them. Finish with a top pick and draft a top QB prospect.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  13. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I basically agree with you, but I don't think it has anything to do with "catching lightning in a bottle;" rather it's about stability and a safety net.

14. PulseJet

PulseJet Well-Known Member

Thats what I think too. Hoyer wouldnt be brought in to start. It would be the better of Petty and Hack and Hoyer would only start if those guys get injured or really shit the bed and are detrimental to the development of other players.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  15. Jay Bizniss

Jay Bizniss Well-Known Member

Why doesn't someone on the board go try out for QB? Honestly can't be any worse than what we have seen over the good part of 40 years. Anyone here play QB in college?

16. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

Am I crazy? I'm feeling we might take Watson at 6. All the reports that are coming out about him I'm starting to think the Jets might not have an option if he is there. Many things can change from now until April 27th but if you asked me today I'm starting to think he will be our week 1 starter. Especially if we miss out on Glennon. Taylor and Hoyer which it looks like we are. Crazy

17. STARoSCREAM

STARoSCREAM Well-Known Member

I have not watched enough of Watson in the NCAA to form an informed opinion, but my biggest concern is Can he read a defense?

i know he thrived against Alabama but can he do that week in and week out? If so, I'd be ok with taking him, his physical tools are already there.

If not, tank, and grab one of the guys from next years draft.

18. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

I agree with you 100%. I haven't seen enough but if he can do it all I'm ok with him. If he can't read a defense then no. I read something today that said he has Peyton Manning's smarts. If that's true and add in his physical ability he'd be worth it for the Jets. Just don't know enough. The Browns aren't taking a qb at 1. San Fran might we'll see what happens with them and Cousins. The Bear no now with Glennon. Jags if they love one wouldn't surprise me but probably not. The Titans are not. If the 49ers do is is Trubilsky or Watson. With us losing on the qbs it has really made for an intersting draft especially if the reports about Watson are true. If they are not sign Hoyer tank and wait for next year.

19. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Hello Customer Service?.........I'd like to exchange this please....

[​IMG] [​IMG]

#699 joe, Mar 8, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2017
  20. BigSnacks54

BigSnacks54 Well-Known Member

Adam Caplan is reporting that Hoyer is looking to join a team where he would be the starter, so he'd be brought into start. So what were looking at is Ryan Fitzpatrick 2.0. This FO is incredibly frustrating; it's year three, why are they still looking for bridge starters?