QB options for next year

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by 73klecko, Jan 3, 2017.

1. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

He does have leverage in this situation for sure. Regardless, I would prefer the Jets focus on Hackenberg and Petty. I feel as if chasing a high priced veteran like say Romo or Cutler would just be delaying the inevitable.

NCJetsfan and PulseJet like this.
  2. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

I'm willing to stake vmoney or real money that none of that happens..
    He's another Cassel, Hoyer, Mallett.... I don't think Br*dy would amount to much outside of that team either.

Jimmy G would be a trainwreck on the Jets, for both him and this team.

3. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I think the Jets should consider trading for Aaron Rodgers. He is pretty good. Seriously though, I don't know the answer. You assume Petty and Hackenberg will be back as the #2 and #3. Maybe you sign a Hoyer but he is worse than Fitzpatrick. Maybe you draft a QB, but if so, you have to cut Petty. I think it is too early to give up on him. Signing a Romo or a Cutler is the wrong move, but I could see it happening. Truly the best case scenario is that Hackenberg takes a huge jump and starts. If he truly is a bust, then it could be a long 2017 for the Jets.

MoWilkBeast and Jonathan_Vilma like this.
  4. rickjet

rickjet Well-Known Member

I understand your point, but Houston didn't draft their QB (Brock was FA), last year Arizona made playoffs previous 2 seasons w/ Palmer,
    Favre wasn't drafted by GB (traded for), Romo was un-drafted FA, Texans went to playoffs with 3 FAs (Schaub, Garcia, Delhomme)
    Arizona w Kurt Warner, Favre took Vikings to playoffs, point being there are numerous examples of QBs obtained via Free-Agency, but you are correct that consistent winners draft/develop their own QBs......but most stud QBs are drafted in 1st round (as well as multiple busts)...unless
    there is a solid pick, I say Jets go free-agency.....

westiedog1 likes this.
  5. LeonNYJ

LeonNYJ Well-Known Member

Top 32 in passing yards
    Average draft position = 65
    Drafted in the first round = 17 (53.13%)

Top 16 in passing yards
    Average draft position = 21
    Drafted in the first round = 11 (68.75%)

Top 10 in passing yards
    Average draft position = 26
    Drafted in the first round = 7 (70%)

#23-32 in passing yards
    Average draft position = 139 (two undrafted counted as last pick)
    Drafted in the first round = 2 (20%)

Of course Brady not playing the 1st four games puts him down lower on the list, same with Roethlisberger missing a bunch of games.

6. rickjet

rickjet Well-Known Member

Since Chad Pennington was chosen #17 in 2000 draft (he was last good QB pick I believe we had, here are picks...

2016 Hackenberg #51

2015 Petty #103

2014 Boyd #213

2013 Smith #36

2011 McElroy #213

2009 Sanchez #5

2008 Ainge #162

2006 Clemons #49

2003 Bollinger #200

Wow...not good:eek::eek:

7. truthbtold

truthbtold Well-Known Member

Bryce Petty showed me enough. I'm hoping he'll be starting for us Week 1 next season.

I just watched every throw he made vs Indy, SF, Miami and NE, and yes -- he made some bad ones. And he also made some very good throws. For the most part, he moved the team well, despite having no blocking in front of him and a crew of receivers who drop passes all over the field, and NEVER fight for a contested ball.

He came in down 31-3 against the Colts and had to pass every single down. He moved the team and got us into the endzone ... which we didn't come close to doing before that. He definitely missed some open deep balls, and there were four atrocious drops by our WR's. The next week, he played well and showed heart pulling out the SF game, even though the OL was Swiss cheese all game. The following week he took the opening drive against the Dolphins and went right down the field for a TD. The next possession he moved right down the field again to the 15 yard line ... and then we thought it was a good idea not to block Wake, and he got blasted for a sack / fumble. At that point in the game he was 7 of 9 for 93 yards and a TD in the first quarter. Two possessions later he moved right down the field again, but threw a bad pick when Wake dropped back into coverage. A rookie mistake. In the third quarter there were three atrocious, drive killing drops, and then the O line finally got him killed ... but he hung in there while getting sandwiched and completed a 27 yard pass to Anderson. The next week he looked bad for two possessions against NE in the rain. Three pass attempts against the best coach in the league. I'm not sure what we're supposed to take from that.

I don't know what people were expecting to see, but THIS is usually what you get from a guy playing less than four games in the league. Especially on a BAD team. I saw enough good play from him to beleive he can play well if we build him a decent line, and our receivers learn to hold onto the goddamn ball. The kid shows guts. He has the reputation of being a hard worker, and he has the arm to make all the throws. Why not give him a chance to learn and develop? I think it's ridiculous to give up on him after seeing a total of fourteen quarters. I want to see what he can do after one more training camp.

8. pdxdrew

pdxdrew Well-Known Member

I'd give Bryce and Hackenberg the job, if you have to bring in a FA to compete but don't waste a draft pick on somebody. We are in full rebuilding mode.

9. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

For the Bryce / Hack crowd, are you seriously going into the season with only two QBs?

westiedog1 likes this.
  10. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Not with this OL. Maybe they will need 16 QBs so one QB can get killed every week.

11. pdxdrew

pdxdrew Well-Known Member

Even if this draft was filled with great potential lineman, Macc wouldn't draft them. He believes he can find them later in the draft. And that's worked out well so far. Jarvis Harrison made the Pro Bowl this year.... didn't he?

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  12. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Correct

So at 6 I hope he sticks with Offense and grabs a RB

Put a new OL and the new RB with Powell and BOOM

#52 NYJetsO12, Jan 5, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2017
  13. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

I'd be cool with Champ QBing for the Jets if it ensures zero wins and a new HC and the chance to draft Darnold the following season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

TRUELY DEPRESSING times to be a Jet fan and that is saying a lot!
    We carried 4 QB's on the roster this year, which was unheard of especially since the 4th guy was never going to see the field maybe next year Mac and Bowels can carry 5 or 6 QB's ,I mean all you have to do is eliminate 2 of our TE s that we don't throw to anyways and carrying 6 QB s is doable,,,,,,,,what a joke

15. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

Petty showed some flashes but not worth trusting. Hackenberg is a question mark and I fear will continue our second round bust for the past 30 years with the exception of David Harris. The best bet would be to go with Glennon. He's 27 has 30 td passes to 15 ints. Still young. Give him 3 years 36 or if you have to bump it to 40 average about 12 million a year. It would combine our qb salaries to about 15 million which is reasonable. Glennon showed promise when he started and I think he would bring the leadership and knowledge that Hackenberg and Petty don't have. Plus with Glennon being 27 and if he plays well he could be our franchise qb. To me he has the intangibles. Height arm etc. This could be a dream but I think he would be our best option.

A second option to me would be Tyrod Taylor. He is 27 too. Smart player not many turnovers and can run. I prefer Glennon but be ok with Taylor too.

My only concern is this: We need to develop Petty and Hackenberg. By signing Taylor or Glennon we are saying they are not the answer and we are moving on. That is fine by me but Glennon and Taylor might be middle of the road guys and we are stuck at 7-9 and 8-8 and we never truly rebuild with the top 10 picks we need like the Raiders and Cowboys did. It is a tough dilema and do not know the answer.

16. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

It's ok to sign a vet backup to compete. It would be a mistake to let the guy win the job unless Petty and Hackenberg are just laughable in the pre-season. You have to have 3 QB's on the roster anyway in case your starter gets hurt. Might as well have the 3rd guy be somebody who has experience holding the clipboard and who can set an example for the two young guys on how to do that because realistically that's their future projection after they've helped the Jets get the #1 pick in 2018 or 2019.

It would be total madness to sign a vet QB with the expectation that they will start in 2017. That would be doubling down on what has not worked for the Jets in the past only this time not much else is working either and the crash and burn will be epic most likely.

It's the same path to the #1 pick at some point but the Jets lose more credibility if they go that route because it has failed miserably in the past.

If you're going to bottom out anyway you might as well plan it out, like the Cowboys bottoming out just before they got Aikman or the Colts bottoming out for Luck. At least you look like you have a plan beyond cheating more ticket sales out of an already disgruntled fan base.

The Cowboys didn't try to convince their fans they were going to be contenders. They traded their best player, Herschel Walker, 5 games into the season for a boatload of picks to make it more likely they could guarantee the #1 pick in 1989. They went 1-15 that year anyway and instead alll those picks turned into depth for the championship runs of the early 90's.

The Colts didn't try to convince their fans they were going to be contenders. They started a journeyman QB in Kerry Collins and then pulled him at 0-3 and threw Curtis Painter out on the field for 8 straight losses. By the time they were halfway through that streak the Suck for Luck meme had been born.

The Jets need to figure out what the QB's in 2018 are likely to look like and then make a decision. The best QB's next year are mostly Juniors. That means they will have a choice who they go too. Drafting a bunch of linemen and a TE would be a wise investment this year in getting those Juniors to declare with the Jets on the clock at #1.

If the Jets think the QB draft will be better in 2019. Well draft the linemen and the TE anyway and then suck again in 2018 and get two drafts worth of high picks on that side of the ball.

The Cowboys drafted Michael Irvin in 1988, Troy Aikman, Steve Wisniewskl Daryl Johnston, and Mark Stepnoski in 1989, Emmitt Smith in 1990. That's how you make a commitment to a first-class championship offense.

#56 Br4d, Jan 5, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
  17. LV Coach

LV Coach Well-Known Member

Go with Petty and Hack. Get a journeyman vet to hold the clipboard and try to help teach our QB's some smarts. No way for Romo or Cutler. They are both body bags ready to be carted off after a few hard hits.

MoWilkBeast, NCJetsfan and Br4d like this.
  18. playtowinthegame

playtowinthegame Well-Known Member

Deshaun Watson is an option, and after Mac drafts him, trade Hack to Texans for a 3rd rounder and draft a fattie for the OL.

FJF and westiedog1 like this.
  19. LeonNYJ

LeonNYJ Well-Known Member

The Jets are historically terrible at evaluating talent at QB (and other positions as well). Then again, maybe it's more that they're crappy at developing QBs, I'm not sure which.

20. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

That's very true. But they have been successful drafting at other positions, WR for example. With that history, it's hard to figure why they've been signing so many FA WR's over the last ten years. Not too many of them have been good either.