QB options for next year

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by 73klecko, Jan 3, 2017.

1. PulseJet

PulseJet Well-Known Member

I tend to agree on the overall talent level of the team. They have alot of pieces, but it looks like the cupboard is bare because the coaching and the preparation has been so bad.

westiedog1 likes this.
  2. PulseJet

I'd hate to lose Petty to commit to Hack or a player to be named later. Petty is young and right now more developed than Hack.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  3. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I agree. I really like Petty. Hopefully, he has progressed to the point where he can take snaps from under center smoothly and confidently.

I just think the Jets need to do what will give them the most consistency and success. If Petty hasn't or can't adjust to taking snaps from under center, then he's probably not going to help us very much. He's also already 25. That needs to be kept in mind.

4. PulseJet

Seattle has a great defense, but didnt go very far in the playoffs and Wilson had a mediocre year because of poor OL play.

Lets face it, you need alot of things to compete. Primarily a great OL, great QB, good RB, great secondary and a few dominant pass rushers. Oh and a special teams that wins the field position battle and a kicker that doesnt cost you games. Its a big list!!

5. PulseJet

Yeah well if he adopts the Brady diet and lifestyle he has another 14 years! I dont think 25 or 22 means anything anymore. Brady just proved that.

6. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

Nick Foles. It is who we should have signed over Sixpatrick last season. He is stop-gap and an option for the competition. He isn't bad and will be very cheap.

Yankee6 likes this.
  7. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

For sure! Can't imagine why a guy who owns the NY Jets would rather stamp visas in England. Realize that Rooney did it in Ireland but at least he had a winning team. Then again, maybe owning the Jets is the reason anyone would need to get out of the country.

8. westiedog1

I like Foles too, but disagree he is a stop gap. He's good enough and young enough to be a franchise QB. I'd say he's better than any Jet QB since Vinny with the exception of Farve, and if we're just counting that one year, I'd throw that in too. He might not be available though. There was talk the Chiefs may let Smith go and keep Foles. I think if the Chiefs decide to keep him they have to pay him something like 1.7M for 2017. It will be interesting to see what happens with him.

9. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Foles had a big split in his 2016/2017 compensation, although the numbers have changed recently on OTC so I don't know how things stand at the moment. The deal was announced at 2 years $12.5M with a $1.25M salary in 2016 but somehow it doesn't work out to that amount on OTC.

westiedog1 likes this.
  10. westiedog1

Yes, I checked and the numbers are closer to yours than mine, although it's hard to figure with all the incentives and roster bonuses thrown in. It's a very strange setup. It only makes sense if the Chiefs jettison Smith and go with Foles in 2017. On the other hand, if they stay with Smith, the Chiefs would be hard pressed to pay that kind of money to a backup, and so Foles may become available. Good news for the Jets IMO.

11. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Foles is not better than a healthy chad pennington was.

12. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...-chiefs-likely-will-pass-on-nick-foles-option

He is stop gap in the sense if Hack or Petty take the reigns from him. I think Foles could start for a few years, who knows. I do know that a fucking illiterate would have signed Foles over Sixpatrick last off-season though.

13. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I see it the same way you do. Foles was signed to be the 2017 QB if the Chiefs punted on Smith after 2016. He had to be signed with that understanding between himself and Andy Reid, who was his head coach in Philly and watched him break out for one season under Chip Kelly after Reid left the building.

I'm betting the conversation in the Chiefs executive suite right now is centering almost completely on whether letting Smith go is a viable plan. Foles suitability as a replacement is undoubtedly 90% of that conversation.

14. themorey

themorey Well-Known Member

15. FJF

oh the melt down on here would be epic.
    and i wouldn't be surprised if this happens.

16. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I suppose many would be upset, but why? He's a better option than all the other FAs out there, given the Jets situation: they don't want o have to pay big money, nor have to guarantee playing time, and he knows the current system, Resigning Geno indicated to me that they're still looking for their FQB and know they don't have him yet. So to me this hints at Macc looking to take a QB at #6 who could be the answer, but if he isn't quite ready to start Day 1, he's got experienced backup behind him that wouldn't necessarily block him from taking over when he is ready.

This is likely wishful thinking on my part, but what else do Jets fans get besides wishes?

17. FJF

he hated,hated,hated here. sometimes irrationally so. so if he is resigned the fire mac chant will be full throat. i was thinking he would be back until gailey was retired. he doesn't know the system now but neither do the other 2 so.
    i think if he returns we are out of the qb market this year and will roll with the 3 and reassess next year. i like watson so that hurts my feelings a little but i won't hate it

18. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

I would hate it. Any QB will need to learn the system and Gene's time here is over. Gotta let him go.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  19. NOVAJET

20. NOVAJET

Hit reply instead of edit... Face palm