QB options for next year

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by 73klecko, Jan 3, 2017.

1. Jay Bizniss

Jay Bizniss Well-Known Member

If Cutler comes here, I will not watch.

tomdeb likes this.
  2. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

Everything depends on what Bowles and Maccagnan's mission is for the coming year. I find it very difficult to accept that the mission (from Woody) is to give Petty/Hackenberg, two big question marks, a chance to earn the QB spot. That would most likely mean another losing season and I just don't think Woody went through all that trouble consulting Wolfe and Casserly to bring Bowles and Mac here for two out of three losing seasons. So if these guys jobs are on the line this year, getting a veteran QB to lead the offense will be a priority. That QB could very well be Cutler. I'm not a Cutler fan by any stretch, but I could see him being brought in, if for no other reason, than to reestablish some credibility on offense and get the Jets back on the winning track.

3. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The Jets haven't been on the winning track for 6 years at this point. You can't snap your fingers and say "Win!" and have it happen in the NFL.

None of the QB's the Jets could bring in are going to come without major questions attached. The offensive talent blows chunks at this point and last year the defense was pretty poor also. Both sides of the ball need a major talent infusion just to be competitive in 2017 and getting a bunch of 28 to 30 year olds in to do that not only has no guarantees attached to it but it will make 2018 pretty stinky also.

The one thing the Jets have not understood during Woody Johnson's ownership is that 30 is ancient in the NFL. So bringing a bunch of high-priced 28 year old free agents just means you'll have a bunch of overpaid geezers in a year or two.

It's really time to break the pattern and build a better tomorrow instead of constantly eating a hamburger today and paying for it on Tuesday.

4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I agree with your reasoning regarding Woody, but that doesn't mean that Morton would want Cutler to come here. He might have to work with him, but not like it. I think he will campaign against Cutler if Bowles wants him.

We all know that Woody is an effing moron. He would have no clue that bringing in Cutler would be the worst possibly move the Jets could make. They need to see what they have in Petty and Hack. If Petty and/or Hack aren't the answer at QB, then they need to take a QB in the draft in 2018. To do that, they need the best draft position they can get. Cutler would have them win just enough to screw that up, but he wouldn't get them to the playoffs this season.

If Woody forces them to bring in Cutler, then I hope that all sorts of evil befalls him. I'm really sick and tired of that moron.

5. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

here are the 3 guys I'd like us to hone in on.

Glennon
    McCarron
    Tyrod (if he becomes available)

6. nicg4360

nicg4360 Well-Known Member

This might sound crazy but I would not be opposed to bringing in a younger guy like Glennon on a two year deal if he comes at a reasonable price (not likely). Then still draft Watson. 4 qbs go into camp. Winner starts. loser between Hack and Petty is cut. We then have a good future of QB's that have potential to be a solid starter. Its so up in the air who knows.

7. Br4d

This worked for the Seahawks but they had a load of talent on the defensive side of the ball also and they had Marshawn Lynch beasting it up in the run game.

They signed Matt Flynn to a pricey (for a backup) free agent contract and then drafted Russell Wilson and had both of them compete with a couple of other guys for the job. They wound up eating Flynn's contract when Wilson won the job.

However, again, they had a lot of talent on the defensive side of the ball and Lynch and Wilson got a reasonable rookie bubble to work in his first year. The Jets don't have those pieces of the puzzle in place right now.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  8. Peebag

Peebag Well-Known Member

I'd take Jay Cutler in a heartbeat - as long as it was for vet minimum.

9. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

We need Cook or Fournette

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  10. Br4d

The Jets can definitely take the RB as a primary piece of the offense but then they have to somehow resist the urge to run them 320 times next year in a losing cause. Ideally you get the stud back as one of the last pieces because unless you're very lucky they're going to break down under a heavy workload. You really want them as part of a balanced attack, not as the go-to guy because nothing else works right.

11. nicg4360

nicg4360 Well-Known Member

Fournette and Powell in the backfield seems like a pretty formidable pairing.

12. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Why is it you Post away and no one gets it??

A rebuild is the OL and the DL FIXED FIRST then your RB QB TE

This whole board salivates at Mahomes and Watson at 6 but with old/injured Mangold, rookie Shell, and squishy Clady and Giacommini wheres the protection coming from??

Where are the holes for Fournette to run through? Remember guys this is the NFL not college anymore

Whatever QB the Jets trot out there they will be dead meat by the third game of the reg Season

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  13. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

The difference is that Wilson was drafted in the 3rd round. Easy for the Seahawks to go with Wilson and still keep Flynn on roster. Watson will be a 1st round pick and command a lot of money. If Glennon comes here on a Matt Flynn-like contract, the Jets will have two QB's with big contracts.

Disagree about the Jets not having the pieces. Jet defense is still good, not great but good. Offense lacks a consistent QB, WRs are good with promising subs, RB, with emergence of Powell, is more than adequate, TE is still a need, OL not the greatest, but I don't think they are as bad as many think. Performance of QB has a lot to do with how the OL is perceived. Thought OL was excellent in last game against Buffalo.

14. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

That is operating in a vacuum and not real time conditions. with whats available right now its not likely they can retool the entire o line with blue chippers.

15. NCJetsfan

I'm sorry, but there's no other way for me to put it...This is just a bad idea imo. With 4 QBs in OTAs and camp, none of them will get enough reps to learn and progress as he should or learn the offense as well as he should. You might was well just hand the job to Glennon because with his prior starting experience, he would have the edge. There should be a competition, but we need each QB to get as many reps as he can so he can develop and learn the new system.

In that sense even 3 QBs is really too many, but we have to have 3, because we need a veteran backup/spot starter. 4 QBs is simply out of the question. All it would accomplish would be to insure that none of the 3 younger QBs develop as they might. It would spread the QB Coach and OC too thin. They'll have a hard enough time trying to work with 3 QBs. Four would spread them even thinner.

We already have a bit of a problem in that Petty is better suited to a spread-type offense and Hack to a more traditional NFL-type offense. Glennon is better suited to a more traditional NFL-type offense, whereas Watson or Mahomes would be better suited to a spread. IMO our offense needs to be a system that focuses on the strength of the QBs and doing that well and have one focus, be it either spread or more traditional-type NFL offense. That would be nigh on impossible or at least more difficult with both spread and traditional type QBs. Morton may not even make a final choice on that system until a starter is declared in TC, although it is likely he will go with some variation of the WCO. It would be best for Morton, the QBs who are here, the offense and the team if that could be decided now. If Morton already knows that it will be the WCO, then the QBs we keep or acquire need to be good fits for that system

I would think that Hack is here regardless, so that system needs to be a more traditional-type NFL offense. I'm not sure that Hack will be a good fit in a WCO. Petty is probably better suited to a spread-type offense, or at least that's what he has played and is more comfortable in that type system. It could leave him as the odd man out. I like Petty, but unless he already has or can quickly adapt to the more traditional-type NFL offense, he probably should be traded, Glennon signed, and then the Jets draft another QB from a more traditional NFL-type offense (be it a WCO or whatever) in a lower round.

#455 NCJetsfan, Feb 15, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2017
    TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  16. NCJetsfan

Why? To have a little better year in 2017, even though it would cost us dearly going into the future? Sorry, but that makes zero sense. It's being impatient and unrealistic about the Jets' chances, needs and what they need to do to get better and truly become a playoff contender.

17. Traditionally speaking...you are absolutely right. You start along the lines & venture out from there. But sheesh...it just seems like we've been chasing that mindset since Woody's arrival.What we usually end up w. is a 1-2 year window where we are indeed sound in the trenches...but end up lacking big play ability out on the perimeter b/c we're always prioritizing other pieces or waiting till a later round.

At some point the cycle needs to be broken. Great DL's have largely been neutralized by the quick passing game..and OL's outside of Dallas have become largely feast or famine. You now win & lose games outside on the perimeter. This franchise has reached a point where they need someone who can make a play on his own w. the ball in his hands be it as a WR/TE or as a ball carrier.You can no longer be competeitive in this league w. subpar skill...I don't believe line play is the be all end all any longer.

ColoradoContrails and NCJetsfan like this.
  18. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

This franchise has reached a point where they need massive talent infusions at every position that isn't 3-4 DE. What other position doesn't need a massive upgrade? I am all about trading down in this draft, if anybody is willing to trade up, because this team needs a bunch of starters and a bunch of depth.

19. NCJetsfan

As KurtTheJetsFan so ably pointed out, that isn't always the case, and the Jets need to try something different.

It also won't work because this isn't the draft to rebuild the OL. What are they supposed to do just tread water and not try to improve until there is a draft in which they can rebuild the OL? Carpenter is very good at LG. Winters has improved. His position could be upgraded, but with all the other needs the Jets have, it would be silly to replace him because the difference between Winters and the new RG would be less than it would be between a new OLB and Mauldin, or a new FS and Gilchrist, or a new TE and the scrubs we've had at the position, or a new CB and Revis or a new RB and Forte or, if Mangold is gone, a new C and Johnson. I think they'll probably look to address C in the draft or FA, even if Mangold will be back. We need competition for Shell other than Qvale. Ijalana needs to be our backup LT. We need a new starter at LT beside Clady, but the chances of finding one in the draft who can start immediately are slim and the chances of getting one in FA probably aren't much better, as I doubt any of those who are available will want to sign with the Jets.

Giacomini will be gone (or at least should be), and hopefully Clady will be too, but he may be our only option at LT other than Ijalana. It is what it is.

Why on earth does the DL need fixing? That's ridiculous! They're the best unit on the team. The only reason it would need "fixing" is if they make a permanent switch to the 4-3 full time, and I don't see that happening while Bowles is here.

The LB Corps needs fixing, as does the secondary and the TE position.

I totally understand your frustration with the OL. I want to see it fixed too. IMO Mac should have drafted an LT last year instead of Lee or Hack. He didn't so we just have to hope it gets fixed sooner, rather than later.

#459 NCJetsfan, Feb 15, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2017
    ColoradoContrails and NYJetsO12 like this.
  20. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Except this just isn't true. In today's NFL it starts with a great QB and if you don't have one then every resource should go into finding one.