QB options for next year

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by 73klecko, Jan 3, 2017.

1. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Why not Tony Homo? Dude is old anyway. He gives us a year or 2 cushion to bridge the gap in case these young QBs are or aren't the answer. 2 year deal, backloaded more in the second in case its only a 1 year experiment (basically the deal they should've given Fitz). and roll with Tony Homo. If he gets hurt? oh darn, you play the young QBs you were/are probably going to play anyway.....

Glennon is going to try for an Osweiler contract.. then you have a young questionable QB with an albatross contract along with two young questionable QBs. Doesn't sound like a good idea. McClown, he sucks. Fitz, he sucks. If you are gonna sign an old vet for more than he's worth you might as well get a good one in Tony Homo.

slimjasi likes this.
  2. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

no, the worst that happens is that you miss out of a HOF talent because you reached for a perceived need.

you picked hack, mac ... let the kid play

i dont even have to look it up to know that sanchez did not complete 64 percent of his passes

no fucking way

3. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Generally I agree with you on this.

We don't know who the QB will be in the 2018 draft but it's fairly likely one will be there. At this point Josh Rosen would be higher than Sam Darnold on my list but neither of them is anything like a leadpipe cinch to be #1 pick territory or even a real NFL prospect.

Rosen missed his sophomore season with an injury after starting as a freshman. Darnold wasn't even primarily recruited as a QB by USC. The defensive staff there wanted him to play LB! He was a WR and LB in high school who played some QB his sophomore year when the QB was out with an injury. He missed his junior year with an injury and then broke out as a QB his senior year. The thing to read into all of that is that he has only played QB for 2 years in high school and college between them.

The real question is which year the QB's are there in the draft. 2018 is a pretty good bet but 2019 might be a better one. Both Rosen and Darnold will be seniors in 2018 and if they're going for the 3 years as a starter, graduated credential 2019 is the year they'll both come out.

TonyFtLaud, NCJetsfan and NYJetsO12 like this.
  4. PulseJet

PulseJet Well-Known Member

No way he did for the Jets. More like 55%.

But surprisingly Sanchez did have that completion percentage for the Eagles. 64% in 9 games played in 2014.

5. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

Kind of like Fitz Redux

6. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Tony Romo would cost a bloody fortune, would have to be guaranteed the starting job, and wouldn't stay healthy for 2 minutes. Ultimately, it would hurt the team more than it would help. Even if he could stay healthy, at best the team would probably be on 7-9 or 8-8. All that would accomplish would be screwing our draft position to try to get our QB of the future or LT, and maybe helping Bowles keep his job for another year or two. IMO Romo is THE worst possibly option at QB.

7. BrowningNagle

I dont think he would cost a bloody fortune. I think that's a miscalculation. Reading the tea leaves I don't see really strong interest - and the knock, him being old and injury prone is going to be there for everyone to consider.

I imagine Romo is going to cost the same as a veteran stopgap will cost. Glennon on the other hand, that's a guy who is going to get overpaid. With Romo, you are looking at a 1 or 2 year deal no matter what. Glennon is going to get the killer 5-6 year Osweiler type contract.

slimjasi likes this.
  8. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

Bingo. This is my take, as well. Believe it or not, IF we are going to go the veteran QB route, Romo makes more sense than almost everyone else out there.

The problem: As you hinted at, I doubt he has any interest in coming here? Why would he?

9. BrowningNagle

true, who knows his interest. I think you could sell him though

10. nicg4360

nicg4360 Well-Known Member

If I were Romo I'd chose life. He's not gonna get that behind our offensive line. Hell Romo got banged up badly behind the Dallas line....No chance he will want to come close and he likely has no interest in a rebuild this late in his career.

11. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I'm guessing your assumption is that Romo gets released?

12. BrowningNagle

Yes that's operating under that assumption

13. Br4d

Romo's not getting released. He's $19.6M in dead money and only $5.1M in cap savings.

The Cowboys aren't going to just let him go when he's costing them that much on the cap no matter where he is next season. If they trade him (for anything) he's only going to hit their cap for $10.7M in 2017.

Also, as much as they like Prescott for the future if they release Romo and Prescott gets hurt they'll look like idiots. Jerry Jones isn't into looking like an idiot. If the Cowboys can get some value for Romo and also some cap relief they'll do it but if they can't get much cap relief anyway they're going to hold onto him.

14. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Plus Jerrah loves him some Romo.

Romo won't make Hall of Fame without a VLT...

Not a Cowboy fan by any means...But T Romo sits pretty easy with me. He's in an awkward spot and handled it well.

The Jets could do a lot worse.

15. abyzmul

Thanks for saving me the typing. The only way he is released is if they either panic to sign a high end defensive FA or there aren't enough teams with shitty QB situations and gigantic cap space to trade to.

He's not going to be a free agent.

Br4d likes this.
  16. Br4d

I think he's going to wind up in Denver. Elway is saying no but I think that's a bargaining position to trade from when the market settles on Romo's approximate trade value. The Broncos are one of the few teams for whom Romo's upside outweighs his downside. They're in the pipe 5 by 5 right now towards another ring and Elway knows it. He also knows Lynch could use another year on the sideline before he has to play and none of the other guys is going to get him a VLT.

So Elway says, "nope - won't trade for him, only would consider him as a free agent" which is a totally bullshit position because Romo will be more expensive against the Broncos cap than the $14M he would count this year if they made the trade.

3rd rounder from Denver to the Cowboys is my guess.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  17. abyzmul

I don't think it'll be that glamorous. The Broncos don't want to eat that salary and they want a real answer and not a bandaid.

The higher end teams that Romo wants to go to will vocally eliminate themselves early in the FA/trade period.

Then the Cowboys will move to the second tier teams that have a handful of cap space but want to give away crappy players in return.

I think the Cowboys Romo situation will end up being Romo accepting a surprising trade to a fairly shitty team and somehow Romo will receive an unannounced fee like Brady usually does while the receiving team gets an unannounced fee for covering cap damages the Cowboys probably would have.

It's going to be a fishy looking deal no matter where he goes.

18. BrowningNagle

Wow I didn't know that

19. Br4d

I think the only way the deal winds up looking fishy is if Brady gets injured/retires/etc during the off-season and Romo goes to the Pats. Then it's going to smell like the dumpster out back of a Chinatown seafood place.

20. John Lombardo

John Lombardo Active Member

Hoyer or Romo I guess... Romo is probably the best 1 year option from a skills perspective.

I also want Romo because one of my best friends is a Cowboys fan, and me and my buddies would torture him with Romo memes that we would make... Let's keep that tradition going.