QB options for next year

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by 73klecko, Jan 3, 2017.

1. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I guess you and I are different. I don't think that pandering to a handful of NYJ beat media douchebags should be a priority.

And, before you say it, NO, it is not an effective method to communicate to the ticket buying public, because those same dickhead writers would omit the parts you thought effective and relevant and only "report" the parts that got you angry.

That's what gets them clicks.

They should speak to the fans through their actions, because that is the only honest way we can see how they are doing.

Fucking radio row interviews, that's the dumbest shit I have ever heard. We could listen to Bryce Petty's enthusiasm on Dan Patrick in between two retired players trying to sell their name brand underwear.

I'll continue this in another post.

#261 abyzmul, Feb 3, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2017
  2. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Alex Smith would be just like the Neil O'Donnell pickup in 1996. A mediocre QB who led a very talented team deep in the playoffs but wasn't the reason they were there and wasn't good enough to get them over the hump.

1-15 next year with him is a real possibility if the Jets go that way, even if he doesn't get hurt. If we trade our 1st round pick in 2018 for him and go 1-15 Woody will have to stay in London for the rest of his life.

3. abyzmul

What is the point of pandering to the media?

You almost strike me as one of our dickless douchebag beat writers at this point.

And maybe you are, because I have seen articles blatantly copied from threads on this forum.

I want you to logically explain to me the actual team benefit of the Jets making this big media push about their young quarterbacks.

Tell me what this would accomplish.

4. PulseJet

PulseJet Well-Known Member

Ok that's funny.

You think media and messaging are worthless. Be stoic and let your play do the talking. Fine.

But I think in Hacks case they intended to red shirt him since day one. But because of poor messaging and the ocean comment the kid is already considered a bust. The Jets wouldn't be able to get a 4th round pick for him because of the media treatment. His first pick and the fan base will write him off.

Same thing happened to Petty. He gets thrown behind a sieve of a line and makes typical beginner mistakes and now he is a bust too. Maybe if the Jets said he was thrown out there in a tough situation and he performed as well as they expected it might increase his value some.

hwismer and NCJetsfan like this.
  5. PulseJet

Yeah I'm a beat writer. You got me tough guy...

Its late, I'm going to sleep. I may answer in the morning. Or I may not.

All I will say is the silence about these 2 QB's is deafening. They let the media say for months they have no QB's. That they had no plan at QB from the start and both the QB and GM look like fools. Was the plan to have Fitz start in 2018 or one of these guys to step up? Are they busts? If so, agents of the jag QBs on the market cant wait to take Woodys money. Maybe if agents thought the Jets valued these QB's they might not press their leverage as much. If I'm an agent and I get feelers from Mac my asking price is going up by millions. The Jets have no QB's haven't you heard??

Goodnight jagoff...

6. abyzmul

I want you to logically explain to me the actual team benefit of the Jets making this big media push about their young quarterbacks.

Tell me what this would accomplish.

7. abyzmul

The fact that you can't answer it is answer enough. You're my new bitch.

Sweet dreams.

8. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

If there's one thing I've learned here...

Don't piss Byz off.

9. NoodleArm

NoodleArm Well-Known Member

Deshaun Watson ‘wouldn’t mind’ getting drafted by Jets. http://google.com/newsstand/s/CBIwqd2JmDQ

At the very least, it seems like he'd dislike playing for the Jets less than the Browns? Maybe?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

10. PulseJet

I answered your question. Read it again. Or are you just too dense to understand? To put it more plainly:

1)You build up the 2 QB's so the market thinks your not interested in the FA QB's. Thus lowering the FA market value and improving your negotiating position.

2) Or, you build up the QB's because the plan all along was to develop these guys as Jet starting QB's. All is proceeding per plan. They are not busts. Building up the QB's on roster makes the brain trust sound like they have a plan. They aren't rudderless.

That's two reasons, in plain English, you bitch.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  11. PulseJet

I usually have good exchanges with the guy. Not sure why he turned on me here for stating an opinion he doesn't agree with.

12. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Sure, after leading the league in interceptions over the last ten years why would we want to screw that up by getting a quarterback that does not turn the ball over?

Alex Smith would be a fine stopgap until we find our QB of the future.

13. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Have you considered the possibility that if Smith came here he'd start turning the ball over? His rookie season he had 11 interceptions and 1 TD. His 2nd season, he had 6 of each. His third season he only appeared in 7 games, but had 4 interceptions and 2 TDs. He didn't play his 4th season. His 5th season, playing in 11 games, he had 18 TD, but still had 12 interceptions. In his 6th season, again playing in only 11 games, he had 14 TDs and 10 interceptions. In his 7th season, he finally had 17 TDs and only 5 interceptions. That was in 2011, Jim Harbaugh's 1st season as HC. Since that time, Smith has had good, strong HCs in Harbaugh and Andy Reid. He won't have either of those looking over his shoulder here in NY. He'll have a ton of pressure and will be viewed as a bit of a "savior" for this franchise. I'd be willing to bet that his interception totals would soar again.

14. Br4d

I'm going to guess off the top of my head that Cleveland is somewhere in the CFL territory in terms of where a young player coming out of college really wants to be before he gets snagged by them in the draft.

NoodleArm and NCJetsfan like this.
  15. Br4d

How many picks did Neil O'Donnell throw in 5 years as the Steelers starter?

I'm not going to spoil it for you, go look it up yourself.

Not throwing picks is a good thing but being a good QB is a better thing and neither Neil O'Donnell nor Alex Smith are good QB's. Not pick throwers? Sure, but that's only a small part of the job of leading a good offense in the NFL in any era.

FJF and ColoradoContrails like this.
  16. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

If we're going to go 1-15 with Alex Smith next year, what would we go with Petty or Hack? 0-17?

17. Br4d

1-15?

Alex Smith might have won with the 2009 and 2010 Jets but that talent base is long gone.

jdon and FJF like this.
  18. SouthBayJetsfan4life

SouthBayJetsfan4life Well-Known Member

If these are my choices, trade for Romo and call it a day.

19. SouthBayJetsfan4life

SouthBayJetsfan4life Well-Known Member

I think Mallett would come here and think he could beat these two guys out.

20. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Alex Smith's four year history with the Chiefs

Played 61 of 64 games (all as a starter)
    Chiefs had a record of 41-20 with Alex Smith starting
    1,246 of 1,931 (64.5%) passes completed
    7.0 yards per attempt, 222.4 yards per game, total 13,556 total yards
    76 touchdowns vs 28 interceptions

That sounds pretty good to me.

You want a bad quarterback, here is Geno Smith's four year history with the Jets

Played 33 of 64 games (30 as a starter)
    Jets had a record of 12-18 with Geno Smith starting
    501 of 866 (57.9%) passes completed
    6.9 yards per attempt, 180.7 yards per game, 5,962 total yards
    28 touchdowns vs 36 interceptions

Not as bad as Geno but here is what Mark Sanchez did in four years here

Played 62 of 64 games (all as a starter
    Jets had a record of 33-29 with Mark Sanchez starting
    1,028 of 1,867 (64.3%) of passes completed
    6.5 yards per attempt, 195.0 yards per game, total 12,092 total yards
    68 touchdowns vs 69 interceptions

It has been so long since we had a good quarterback (like Alex Smith) that you guys wouldn't know one if he showed up.

Please explain to me how Alex Smith would not be a huge upgrade for us at the quarterback position.

HomeoftheJets and Acad23 like this.