QB options for next year

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by 73klecko, Jan 3, 2017.

1. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

And that's the main Red Flag about a deal like this. If BB were willing to trade within the division, you've got to suspect that he's looking to dump a problem on a rival.

Also, I think Garoppolo's success is due more to the Pats system and coaching than his abilities. Take him out of that, and it would be like a fish out of water IMO.

2. PickSix

PickSix Well-Known Member

Unless the team has no fear of trading within the division, i.e. Drew Bledsoe and his $100 million contract

3. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

True dat.

4. ColoradoContrails

As I said, "Dumping a problem - a 100 million dollar contract - on the other team".

5. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Will have to disagree with you here because Garrapollo has talent having broken all of T Romos college records

I was high on him too when the Jets interviewed him. He was in the same draft class as Carr Mettenburg Bridgewater (all decent servicdeable QBs) but that putz Idzik went for Pryor!!!

Another Jets castoff scooped up by Belli

I am throwing the TV out the window if we take ANOTHER defense guy at 6

6. ColoradoContrails

Well I stand by my belief that the Satan in Foxboro would never allow a decent player to land on the Jets, so wonder what's wrong with him. But I DO agree with your last statement.

NYJetsO12 and James Hasty like this.
  7. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

Has anyone heard the Alex Smith rumor. I heard Connor Hughes from the Star Ledger linked us and Craig Carton mentioned it this morning as well. I know Morton was in San Fran when he was there. I'm starting to connect the dots that this could be true. He is 32. Not sure of his contract but for a year or two and give Hackenburg more time to develop it might not be a bad option. Wanted to see if others heard this rumor and their thoughts.

My biggest issue with this though is that we will win 8 games and not get a top pick which we need. My other thought is that Hackenburg needs to play to get the experience and for us to really know if he is our future. With Smith he will not play so we won't know. I'm not on board with this unless Mac and Bowels feel Hackenburg is not our future.

8. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Ugh, this is exactly what the jets do, sign someone who may be good enough to make the playoffs with a stacked team around him but forget to stack the team. he will will us to 7-9, 6-10 and we will be on the outside looking when its time to draft a qb

hwismer and ColoradoContrails like this.
  9. ColoradoContrails

Aside from the points you made in your last paragraph, which I agree with, he'll cost a lot of money against the cap, and that means Bowles will have to play him.

But if Macc and Bowles don't think Hack is the answer then they better try and grab whoever they think can be their FQB, Watson or Mahomes IMO, and either cut Hackenberg, or continue to carry him and hope he somehow develops.

10. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

There's no way I want Smith or any older, expensive QB, but I suspect they will sign someone with experience, be it Smith, Taylor, Glennon, McCown, Foles or someone else. Morton is going to demand an experienced starting QB, and you can't blame him. He wants to succeed and keep his new job. Bowles wants to keep his, so I'm sure he will totally support Morton in this.

I, on the other hand, don't see either Bowles or Morton being here after 2017, so I don't care about the W-L record. Unless Bowles surprises this year and is a different, much better HC, I want the Jets sole purpose in 2017 to be the development of young players and finding out who can help them going forward, and their draft position to be the best it possibly can, so I'd be happy with an 0-16 record as long as young players develop, they figure out who can help them going forward, and the team looks prepared each week and plays hard and smart, but I know it won't happen. I know that Bowles is going to be trying to keep his job by winning as many games as possible. I also think that developing young players is not in Bowles or most of his CS's skill set.

Right now, I'm expecting more of the same "competitive rebuild" BS, and if Mac cuts several of our older vets, for him to sign several expensive, older vets to replace them. Then Bowles, Mac and company will all be fired during the next offseason, and we'll be starting from scratch yet again.

hwismer and ColoradoContrails like this.
  11. PulseJet

PulseJet Well-Known Member

According to Jason La Canfora, the Texans plan to give Tom Savageevery opportunity” to win the starting job this summer, even though they’re stuck with Brock Osweiler‘s salary for another year.

Tom Savage has three games under his belt. Less than Petty. He didnt throw a TD (or INT for that matter) And the Texans are paying Osweiler an ass-ton to play next year. So for them to come out in support of Savage is a real knock on Osweiler.

That being said, I'd really love for once to hear this kind of comment from the Jets. I am sick of the constant media talk about Cousins, Garropolo, Kaepernick, Glennon, Romo, and every other vet pipe dream, or for that matter Trubisky, Watson or any other draft pick that will be as unprepared to start as Petty and Hack were.

I'd really like the Jets to kill all this BS and say "We are working with our valued QB prospects Bryce Petty and Christian Hackenberg and will give both of them every opportunity to be the starter next year." At the very least, it shows the Jets value these guys more than training camp fodder. From interviews, I get the sense that Petty and Hack are as much in the dark about their status on the team and whether they will even be active for games as the rest of us. Is that the right way to develop a QB? Why would the Jets allow the NY media to continue to crap all over these valuable assets?

They are 2nd and 4th round prospects. They have value. All the talk of alternatives just devalues their worth in the league. Maybe some team loved Petty last year and has been keeping tabs on him. Maybe they would give the Jets a 2nd or 3rd RD pick for him. I can certainly see that happening. But not if the Jets continue to show these guys arent in their plans.

12. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

Whatever be they case if they keep Petty and Hack, they will have to bring in a 3rd, more experienced player to allow for a buffer/learning curve for the two, imo. For them to make the same bonehead mistake of carrying 4 QB's, that would be just plain stupid as all heck. Which is why I feel the chances are remote they'll draft one in the 1st 4 rounds. Taking a QB in 2017 is a risk. A late round pick won't break the bank.

13. PulseJet

That's my point. You said "if they keep Petty and Hack." Why the hell is that even a question? Even if the Jets were planning on paying Cousins $30 mil a year, they should be talking UP both Of these guys. "We love these guys, we think they will be future stars in the NFL." I know that's not Macs way but I thought he was a trader.. Talk up your assets. What is the downside to doing that?

14. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

Ok, when making an 'if' proposition that's not to say that the 2 will not make to training camp. I'm sure the two will be in camp to compete. I'm thinking beyond that to the 1st game of the season. The have to suit up 3 QB's.

When you here rumblings that a certain player can't throw the ball into the ocean, what the hell can you take from that? There are no sure bets as far as QB's go on this team, as of 2017.

15. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Not that I think much of Hack, because I don't, but that quote you call "rumblings" happened the day before the Jets shitcanned their QB coach along with 4 other assistants.

You don't really need to do a lot of dot-connecting to figure out where that quote came from and why.

hwismer and HomeoftheJets like this.
  16. PulseJet

And after those comments, Mac should have put their in-house media into overdrive pumping both QB's up. Even if it's bullshit. They did a bit of that, but the press reports are still about the Jets not having a QB on the roster. They may not have a good one, but I don't see either Petty or Hack being worse than Geno or Fitz, and certainly as good as some of the retreads the media is attaching to the Jets.

17. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Are you serious? Come on. That would be transparent as hell to anyone with a brain, and also bush league.

The next day when Bowles fired the coaches, he answered the ocean quotation and then moved on. I'm hot and cold on the guy but that's exactly how they should have handled it.

Acting like panicky bitches by "putting their in-house media into overdrive"?!?

What the fuck does that even mean?

18. Biffins

Biffins Member

At the moment there's a bidding war starting for Jimmy G. The teams that have expressed interest so far are Browns, 49ers and Bears and there are rumours that Texans and Cardinals are considering as well. I don't think Jets are going to get involved in the discussion. The price will likely be steep. Most people agree a 1st rounder and a high second pick, maybe 2nd or 3rd. Could even be 2 1sts.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/h...rs-to-land-garoppolo-romo-in-nfls-qb-shuffle/

19. ColoradoContrails

I would hope the Jets steer far away from that circus. This has the smell of a "Drew Bledsoe" all over it.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  20. PulseJet

Like I said before. It means getting Bowles out there to tell the media that the two QB's are in the mix and will be given every opportunity to win the starting job next year. Right now the consensus view is the Jets have no QB. Even if the Jets FO thinks that they wasted two high draft picks and intend to bring a Romo in, it doesn't help Mac's bargaining leverage. That's all I'm saying. They are playing it wrong.

A lot of players are giving interviews during Super Bowl week. Maybe an interview with Petty to get his thoughts on last season and see how his surgery and recovery are going? It's been radio silence since Christmas. He was the starting QB of the Jets for the final quarter of the season.