QB options for next year

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by 73klecko, Jan 3, 2017.

1. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

I don't know what to tell you...I watched most of his big games in college and he was really damn good They won a shitload while he was there and he was clutch

I guess he's just undersized and can't hang against NFL defenses but I don't know how you can say he wasn't good at UGA

2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

We don't have to agree.

IMO UGA won so many games while he was there because they had Gurley and Nick Chubb and lots of great players around him on those teams. They should have won a lot more. They didn't imo because of Murray. He threw a lot of incompletions and interceptions. His decision making was not good and if I remember correctly, neither was his accuracy. I don't remember the specifics, I just remember I didn't like him at all. UGA games were on here every week and I saw most of their games. I think it was Murray who played the biggest part in Mark Richt getting fired as HC.

3. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

His Jr year they came within a yard to beating Bama in the SEC Championship and he got hurt in his senior year...have no clue how you could say he was the reason Richt was fired when Richt coached for 2 more seasons after Murray was gone!

He is still the SEC all time leader in passing yards and TDs and put up some great numbers

I'm not saying he's going to be any good but he was in college

4. CountTheRings

CountTheRings New Member

How about a trade fellas? Jimmy Garoppolo for a second and third rounder??

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  5. nicg4360

nicg4360 Well-Known Member

Only way bellichek would do that would be if Garappolo was a total bust. If he was franchise QB material not gonna happen.

PickSix likes this.
  6. nicg4360

With our new OC and the style of offense New Orleans runs I could see either Cutler or Glennon make their way here.

7. Billsfan1212

Billsfan1212 Active Member

Ssssoooo, now that we dont have to TOTALLY hate each other bc its the off season... we have VERY similar discussions over on Bills boards. Some folks want a qb in the draft (take ur pick, its a bit like 13 when its a crap shoot), some want another guy to hold it down and let our version of Hack develop (Jones) and draft another guy next year... but the difference is some also want tyrod kept and work jones or a furture qb in when they have developed and the time is right.
    However, not many want the Bills to sign TT to be 'the guy'. Sure, some people in the bizz throw out stats saying hes a winner and most people admit hes the best weve had sunce Bledsoe, but any one IN Buffalo watching games and not just looking at stats think he is the long term answer. Can you win with him? Sure... but unless ur cool w 8 wins hes a guy who has to have EVERYTHING else go right as hes just a compliment... not the reason games are won. So... why would you as Jets fabs want him?? Dont fool yourself into new blood is making a mistake and casting him off and going in a new direction. Heck, as a Jets fan u shld hope he stays in Buff. If we dont want him, why would you?? Both cities are qb starved..if he was the answer, he wouldnt be potntly avbl.. just sayin..

hwismer and MoWilkBeast like this.
  8. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Spe
    Speaking as a Jets fan, I have to agree with you. That's why I don't want the Jets to pick him up. You'e right - he's a mediocre QB. Can he get you to the playoffs? MAYBE. But, he won't win you a SB. He's sucker bait. Like so many QB-starved teams, we jump at anyone who MIGHT be an improvement, giving up any real chance of finding a true FQB. I hope the Jets hold fast and don't fall for that sucker bet, like Taylor, or Romo, or any of the other stop-gaps. I hope they can somehow get Watson, but failing that, they invest in Petty/Hack and see if they're the answer, and if not, draft another QB next year, until they finally hit.

Billsfan1212 likes this.
  9. Billsfan1212

TRUER words have never been spoken, and THAT is also why I hope the Bills move on. National people think its crazy... but they also dont watch every snap of every game. Sure, he helps a lot with his legs. Sure, he makes some great plays on the fly (2 bombs in the thursday night game for example) BUT for every ONE of those, there 4 or 5 wtf plays that once the all 22 pops up we see him missing a guy WIDE OPEN where he throws it away or runs out of bounds.
    The coaches have stuck up for him saying it wasnt his read, or it was on the other side of the field etc but fqs find that open guy. Heck, in our mon night Sea game we had the ball and had to drive for a td to win. The token 4th qtr comeback was there. He needed a TD to show everyone he could make that step, and in the end he needed another 10 yrds passing to break 300 for THE 1ST TIME (He eventually got it, but needed OT in the loss to Mia). When push came to shove, the drive stalled around the 15 and he got neither milestone. The next day when all 22 came out the 3rd from last and 2nd to last plays showed a man wide open in the end zone and a man wide open at the 5 and he missed both. Its maddening, it really is. So all i can say is be careful what you wish for. You might think the grass is greener, but theres a reason they are 2nd guessing hitching their wagon to a guy for at least 2 yrs at a rate that isnt even that bad for starting qbs.
    As a fan of a team that has just settled for decent bc its the best weve had in a while - I applaud SOMEONE at OBD for realizing the goal just isnt the playoffs. TT may get ya there if EVERYTHING else goes right and he just isnt the one to screw it up but that never happens and thats only playoffs.. not the SB.
    Id happily trade more INTs for someone with Fitzys gunslinger mentality (NOT FITZ however as FINALLY we can all agree, like Rex, he is NOT the answer) that wont have to have a career game to break 300 yrds passing. IMO, us keeping him or you guys getting him is very short sighted. I know theres tampering and all, but his agent will have an idea of whats out there. People in Buff think he will restructure. I doubt he will, simply bc SOME team will take a flyer and pay him what Buff was going to if not more.
    Its just a more exciting version of 1970s offenses. Maybe he will find success somewhere where he wont have to be the man, and like Fitz when he left- I hope he does. But, whatever team he is on, they will simply be spinning their wheels until their true fqb comes along.

I know its scarey thinking 'well, hes our best option bc where does that leave us with out him' ... BUT, without him theres at least a chance youll find your guy. Right now in Buff he is prohibiting the Bills from finding out. And fwiw, i like TT. Hes a silent leader type and they guys seem to like and respect him... but they did Fitz too. Besides, winning solves everything.
    Hes 'good enough', and he may be the best of the options out there, but if ya sign him and pay him you are stuck... meanwhile you see guys come and go who stick other places you miss bc you were going with 'good enough'. No promises youll find ur fqb in the mean time, but at least you are trying!!

#229 Billsfan1212, Jan 30, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2017
    Jets69, abyzmul and NCJetsfan like this.
  10. Billsfan1212

Fingers crossed!!! ;) it would mean boom or bust. Hits on 1/3 deep balls but everything else is outside the hashes, short (his short acry dropped BIG time this yr) and you will forget what a pass over the middle or down the seam even looks like. I wldnt wish that even on a Jets fan!!!! Lol

#230 Billsfan1212, Jan 30, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2017
  11. Billsfan1212

And just a FWIW re:jimmy G...
    If the Pats actly traded him IN DIVISION to the Jets (or Bills for that matter) that would SCARE THE HELL OUT OF ME. BB is as smart as they come. If they really had much faith in him would they trade him to a place where they have to play him 2x a yr?? Id think theyd rather turn down the 1st OR trade him someplace else UNLESS they knew they had nothing to worry about and knew they were robbing us and making us look silly like they are so very good at. FFT...

12. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Some guys have a funny way of reading defenses in that sense. Rather than being able to see the cover 2 and analyze the fact that the skinny post will be open due to the coverage, he seems like a guy that drops back and says oh shit that dude running down the center of the field is wide open and I'm gonna get him the damn ball on a rocket dime.

I think that's what the broadcaster was alluding to. Hopefully that makes sense.

Similar to Favre. I mean obviously they can read defenses to an extent, but sometimes they just see the field better than everyone else without needing a Peyton Manning level of perpetration.

We'll see. He has bad footwork and so-so mechanics at best, but he has an incredible arm, throws well while sliding and moving and throws a beautiful deep ball. Sometimes you can't over teach a player and just need to let them go play ball.

If the coaching staff and front office thinks he can become Favre or Rodgers or any type of great quarterback, then by all means you take him.

Big Cat likes this.
  13. nicg4360

I'm definitely one on the Watson bus but at the same time I look at a guy like Glennon s numbers and he looks pretty good. 30 TD's to 15 interceptions would be just what the doctor ordered and on a weak team no less. Yea he is pretty untested the past couple years but he does have a lot of prior experience and is very young with potential to get better. If he does not ask for osweiller money I think it's a great option. The real benefit is he's not an old QB just about to retire and it allows us to not take a chance at the 6th pick but actually get the true BPA.

14. Billsfan1212

I guess at some point ya just gotta make a decision and go w it... but everything id read says tampa was getting frustrated before Winston. It sucks, bc you can talk urself into any of these options. BUT how often do they actually work out like fitz did for, well, both of us? Its kinda the same with the guys here who want cutler bc he loved our new OC... just meh... he is who he is. Dont get me wrong, either would be a nice stop gap while you are looking for your guy but thats the issue to me... is a cutler (if cut) or glennon or TT going to take a deal thats convient to a team or are they going to want mid fqb $ ajd some term? I think THAT is potentially where your team gets into trouble

NCJetsfan likes this.
  15. ColoradoContrails

"Mechanics" are what you teach guys who don't have the natural ability, in the hope that they can replicate the superior ability of a "natural". Most greats in any sport don't have textbook form, yet somehow they perform at a higher level. Some of these burn out because what they do to their bodies while performing these acts can't be sustained, but some go on forever.

I don't know if Mahomes is the answer, but if he has produced a long body of work of winning and success, I think if he was available in a later round (4th?) he'd be worth a look. One things for sure: We need a FQB, and need to keep trying until we get one.

16. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

We have some solid pass catchers on our squad.

Give me a qb that can smartly screw the top off the defense and I'll be happy.

17. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

It just occurred to me that Macs second round flub Hacktheburg is something like a failed billion dollar government project that never hit the assembly line

James Hasty likes this.
  18. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

jimmy will leave the mothership and not do squat with out the added "benefits" that come with the patriot way

themorey and James Hasty like this.
  19. ColoradoContrails

I wouldn't do that deal. First, giving up two high draft picks when they need to fill so many positions is something they can't afford, unless Garappolo was guaranteed to be The Answer, which he isn't. I doubt BB would allow him to walk away if he thought he was that good, and this has all the makings of a swindle by the Big Cheater. And on top of that, he would cost a ton of cap space, and also block the development of any young QBs. Too much risk; not enough assurances.

Dibben likes this.
  20. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

In addition, teams never trade with other teams within the division.