QB options for Jets (Merged Thread)

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Ben Had, Jan 1, 2013.

1. RutgersJET

RutgersJET Member

Why?? So we can keep him on contract for longer just to make his cap hit smaller for this year? That's a classic Tanny move

2. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

That would be an interesting offer but I don't think you take it unless the pass rusher you're looking for has already been taken when you draft.

Barkevious Mingo + Mark Sanchez for the 25, 2014 1st and Matt Flynn is a great deal for the Jets. Jarvis Jones + Mark Sanchez for the same probably is not.

3. Win4ever

Win4ever New Member

The problem with trading down is, that you pretty much have to give up on a player that you actually like. I doubt other teams are going to be beating down our doors if the players available aren't even that attractive to us in the first place. I say the best chance to trade down would be if Jones or Star drop down. But do you pass on those?

I'm not all that inclined to include Sanchez in any deal, because I think it's a short sighted move. Yeah, he sucks and costs a lot towards the cap. But it's only for one year, and we are not a super bowl contender next year unless we get an All Pro QB. I'd rather let Sanchez rot on the bench for one year, and get him off of that cap. Do all deals involving prospects without him, so we can maximize our value. I think short term gaps like Flynn or Smith will eventually leave us in the dreaded, too bad to a super bowl contender, too good to be a top pick contender area that breeds mediocrity.

If we're trading down from No. 9, I'd rather we try to accumulate as many picks or young players as possible, so they can develop this year, and try to get a QB pick or sign someone next year.

4. laxin

laxin Active Member

I dont think the Seahawks are dumb enough to give up 2 firsts and take on Sanchez's massive contract for the #9.

The biggest reason why I dont think this is possible is because Im pretty sure the Seahawks have said they want to add a backup QB that plays similarly to Russel Wilson... Sanchez does not fit that bill.

5. Sizzlebshu

Sizzlebshu New Member

Thats usually how teams get in cap trouble in the first place, no offense. I mean look at the Steelers cao situation as a result of restructures. They are set to implode.

If you dont find a way to trade Sanchez, you really should just let him play out and start this year and then abuse the cut clause in his contract and get out of this deal.