QB - Now/Future

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by mezzavo, Nov 24, 2023.

1. The_Darksider

The_Darksider Well-Known Member

If it's one thing the Jets organization has not had since the Parcells era, it is player discipline. Every single coach the Jets have hired has been a players coach. From Herm Edwards to Rex Ryan to our current staff, tons of penalties, no one fears for their job. I didn't know that about Bienemy, but if that's what he's like, especially being on his 4th cup of coffee by 7 AM and getting on these guys, then I absolutely love the thought.

But this is the Jets, they aren't that smart. It will never happen.

teamgreen likes this.
  2. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Zach's future in NY will be how he plays these next four games. (Maybe Saleh's as well) Let's see if Zach can follow-up this performance.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  3. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

it is a team game but the QB position is just so much more important that every other position - if you don't have a good QB to build around you are not going to have consistent success which you need in order to win a SB as the chances of doing as Rams and having everything fall into place for 1 year are so slight it isn't worth trying to emulate (even though that is what the Jets seem to be trying to do).

4. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

No way. With practically a 0% chance at the playoffs, the next 4 games are meaningless.

Wilson already had an ideal opportunity to secure his future in NY. They turned the Bills over 4 times and returned a punt for him so he could start 1-0 and atop the division. But Wilson blew it and got benched again.

They are just playing out the string now and he's playing for himself/his trade future

SackRecord99 likes this.
  5. Since1969

Since1969 Well-Known Member

Vince Lombardi once said that his only beef with football was that a team's success depended too much on the QB.

If that was true in the days of three yards and a cloud of dust, think of how much truer it is today.

Jets79 likes this.
  6. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Yeah, obviously I was exaggerating by saying Jones only had half the ability of Zach...it was simply to underscore how much difference coaching makes, turning a QB who might have lesser ability into a much better QB than one who has more ability. And truthfully, I've seen very little of Jones so it was probably a mistake for me to use him, except that I too wanted Daboll who absolutely made Allen successful, and virtually turned Jones around.

So yeah, Jones may be more similar to Zach than I realized, but my main point still stands: Coaching makes or breaks players, especially QBs. And that basic fact is what drives me crazy when everyone wants to simply put Zach's failures on him. Yes, yes, yes, he has a part in them - all players do. But has anyone - coaches, media, teammates - ever mentioned that Zach wasn't busting his ass to improve? Nope, not a one. So, either he's too dumb or lacks the ability to improve no matter how hard he works - as some here claim, or his effort isn't being channeled properly by good coaching and scheme.

If it's the former, blaming him and tearing him down won't make him any better. Moreover, if there IS blame, direct it at Douglas and whoever blew the evaluation of him.

But I subscribe to the second school of thought (obviously, and I believe more realistically). If a player has the ability, and is putting in the effort, and continues to struggle, it's up to the coaches to figure out how to fix him, or worst case, figure out that he really doesn't have the tools or ability and the team can then make a sound decision to move on. Here again, the Jets haven't done this. They finally got rid of MLF who showed no ability or interest in adapting his scheme to Zach's abilities, but neither really has Hackett - with the possible exception of this last game. And of course they still have a defensive minded HC who can provide no help or guidance to his OC, and who may even have been making things worse by drilling into Zach "Don't make mistakes!".

I truly hope Zach can finish the season like he did last game, at least playing confidently and decisively, whether they win or not, and show there's something to salvage. If the Jets decide to move on from him, okay, but if so, I they'd better move on from this CS and get an offensive-minded one in.

7. ColoradoContrails

Yeah, coaches won't be happy until they can get microchips implanted in players brains and they can move them around like video game characters.

8. cval

cval Well-Known Member

We are getting close to that. Qbs used to call their own plays. In college the look to sideline to decipher coverages. Football is a coaches game not a players game.

9. ColoradoContrails

Yep, we can "thank" Tom Landry for launching the era of coaches calling the plays for the QB when he started doing that for Roger Staubach.:mad:

I think they ought to make a rule that coaches can't directly interfere with the game like they have in soccer. Couple it with limiting how many substitutions they can make to stop the "shuttle system" (and any player removed for injury has to sit out until medically cleared or until 10 running minutes has passed). And certainly get rid of the fucking wireless helmet comms!

In short - Let the players play!

cval likes this.
  10. Since1969

Since1969 Well-Known Member

Even before that, Shula tried that in Baltimore when Unitas was the QB. Unitas would ignore him. "If he wants to run that play," Unitas would say in the huddle, "he can come in and run it himself."

Staubach would often audible out of the play that Landry called. Landry tolerated it because the play Staubach called usually worked.

11. ColoradoContrails

I had forgotten about the attempt to "manage" Unitas. LOL!

IIRC, the "rationale" Landry gave in calling plays for Staubach was because he had to serve his military duty and so, Tom was just "helping" reduce the length of his learning curve.

The NFL should've nipped it in the bud back then.

cval likes this.
  12. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

The sooner the better.. Good riddance!!

13. cval

cval Well-Known Member

For those of you complaining I did not pit Sam's second year
    Yrds compl % TD int YPG Rating QBR
    3024 61.9 19 13 232 84.3 45

Looked promising

Fourth Year

Yrds TD INT YPG Rating QBR
    2527 9 13 210 71.9 33.2

It looks like Sam Peaked year 2. I just think the Jets destroyed another young QB. If Sam gets another chance I think he will do well but he was trending downward.

14. The_Darksider

The_Darksider Well-Known Member

Sam has proven to be a middle of the road back up quarterback and nothing more. Whether he was ruined or not, it's irrelevant at this point. We certainly didn't do him any favors, but he has a lot of mechanical issues that may not be repairable.

15. cval

cval Well-Known Member

His mechanics looked a lot better this preseason.

16. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

if purdy ever gets hurt we'll get to see

17. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Maybe our next guy can be a Scientologist.

BrowningNagle likes this.
  18. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

rams were competitive for years and had a good team including a solid QB. obviously QB is the most important positions so they decided to upgrade it by trading for stafford. lions took that trade and stayed with goff and built around him using the extra picks and have turned it around and now better then the rams. The rams got their SB out of it. I think both teams are pretty happy with that trade. Jets built up a good team but couldn't get the QB right so traded for a known elite QB to fill that hole. he just got hurt. if he wasn't even with all the other injuries we are likely in playoff contention right now and the entire sentiment of the board and fans is different.

19. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

Before every game, Saleh should tell Zach he'll be benched if he sucks. Maybe that will bring out the good Zach more often. Maybe that's not the solution, but it seems there are some psychological issues holding him back.

mezzavo likes this.
  20. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

The New York DEIA LGBT+ Jets

abyzmul and mezzavo like this.