Punter Matt Araiza

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Mehl-56, May 9, 2023.

1. Mehl-56

Mehl-56 Well-Known Member

He was just cleared of any involvement in the SDSU Rape case he was dragged into last year - could be the option we need at Punter. We def need some competition there at the very least.

2. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

3. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

Yea sort of BS and I wonder if he can sue anyone involved here.

I don't really know the specifics, but from what I read he was long gone from the party before the encounter took place... This ruined his career so if he is that innocent he should be able to counter sue.

For the Jets, they signed another punter a month ago so not sure that would work.

dawinner127 likes this.
  4. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

1) girl claimed she was gang raped by a bunch of people at a party
    2) ariaza was at the party and had sex with her (admittedly)
    3) people assumed he was involved and guilty before proven innocent/cancel culture/being an expendable position led to him being released
    4) truth comes out, he banged her, it was consensual, then he left. she, stayed, drank more, then consensually got gang banged by more college students there

it sucks because you want real rape victims to be able to come forward, but this was a case of being a hoe and not wanting to admit it/trying to cash in. I really think we need stricter laws to punish people for blatant false accusations

with that said, he's young and good, i'd take him. it fills a need instantly where right now we have an old 1 year stop gap

5. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I'm good with Morstead.

JetFanInNE, Jojo and dawinner127 like this.
  6. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

This is actually one of the easiest things to figure out what a just punishment is. Just punish them with whatever the falsely accused person would have gotten if they were convicted.

7. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

Moorestead was very good for the Jets last time out. But nothing wrong with competition. MA is a VERY good punter and I wouldn’t be opposed to him coming here.

8. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

He probably has the biggest leg of all time ever coming out of college and he can spot fill in as a place kicker (although not a very good one).

Sign this vindicated accused rapist.

JetBlue and Nyjets4eva like this.
  9. NoodleArm

NoodleArm Well-Known Member

If he's cleared, why not give him a shot? Though, I really, really hope that we're not punting much, if at all, this year.

10. Nyjets4eva

Nyjets4eva Well-Known Member

I don’t see why we wouldn’t look into this

11. GasedAndConfused

morestead is a 1 year stop gap. araiza we could get for the next 3-4 years. imagine losing the 2024 superbowl because morestead retired and we missed out on ariza (i mean won't happen but still)

Borat likes this.
  12. NYGalPal

NYGalPal Well-Known Member

I actually was gonna make a thread on this and ask if the Jets should make a play on him.

"The FBI has put the number of "unfounded" rapes - those determined to be false after investigation - at 8%.

"Figures from the US Bureau of Justice Statistics suggest only 35% of all sexual assaults are even reported to the police."

I'm not team believe all women no matter what, but the truth is the majority of times women don't lie about this stuff. Heck the majority of time women don't even report it. Feels like in this instance the Bills/NFL could have done a better job. Just talking to a couple of partygoers should have given them some suspicion of her claims.

They should press charges on her. He should sue her. If she doesn't have money sue her anyway and collect on her future earnings. All doesn't have to be lost for him. Drafted in 2022 and only 22 years old. The Bills should offer to resign him and as a show of good faith give him retro pay.

mezzavo, NCJetsfan and Pepsiguy5 like this.
  13. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

Reportedly the Bills were aware of the situation but gave in after the public outcry. No Organization want that kind of attention from a punter.

That being said, he was born in SD, went to college in SD, signed with a Football team in Mexico… I don’t see him as choosing NYC for his new team…. He’ll probably want to be on a West Coast team who will have a lot of 3 and outs… I’m thinking Vegas

Lon Chaney likes this.
  14. GasedAndConfused

I'd be more interested in how many involved rich people, athletes, and celebs. I'm willing to bet it's much higher then 8%
    The majority of the ones telling the truth are going after regular people with nothing to gain but justice
    the small % who lie typically do so out of shame (remember the duke lacrosse team one too) or revenge at someone they are mad at

Also there is literally no way to put a percentage on something that is unreported.

Pepsiguy5 and JETFUEL1580 like this.
  15. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

Do you even take sexual assault or prevention training?

16. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

I absolutely don't condone this false accusation. In addition, one of the lessons of the story is to stay away from hoes.

17. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

Awesome, future at the position.

18. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I'm all about following the legal process and I also believe false accusations should be punishable but if you think the Bills were pussies for releasing a PUNTER who was being investigated on rape chargers then this isn't actually about football.

Glad we're trying him out considering his talents but where there's smoke there's fire...

NCJetsfan likes this.
  19. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

So guilty until proven innocent?

IIMeanDeanII, Borat and Ralebird like this.
  20. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Releasing someone doesn't mean they are guilty. It means you don't need the distraction of an ongoing rape investigation involving your punter.

KingRoach likes this.