Pundit grades for our picks

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by MexJetinBcn, Apr 24, 2010.

1. MexJetinBcn

MexJetinBcn New Member

Walter Football's Matt McGuire

Day 1-2

New York Jets: I love Kyle Wilson to the Jets. New York will shut down every receiving corps in the NFL and Rex Ryan will dial up some fun blitzes. This was a pick that Jets fans might look back at as being a key reason as to why they won a Super Bowl. Ducasse can play either guard spot as well as some right tackle, but he comes with intelligence concerns.

Grade: B

Day 3
    New York Jets: The Jets got three impact players with Kyle Wilson, Vladimir Ducasse and John Conner, my top fullback and top 100 prospect in the 2010 NFL Draft. Jets fans - this guy will remind you of Lorenzo Neal with the way he blocks. I'm not a Joe McKnight fan, but I did have a fifth-round grade on him so the fourth round isn't a big stretch. I just don't like trading away Leon Washington.

Grade: B

2. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

B seems to be the overwhelming norm from these guys.

3. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

I love how all the experts are pointing out that trading Leon was a bad move yet none of them factor in that he broke his leg over 6 months ago and he still can't run on it. He might not even be ready for training camp.

I'm not crazy about the Connor pick because we already have Richardson who is still very good. I would have preferred waiting until Richardson was officially not on the roster for us to replace him. I'm not preaching the we didn't address the DL because I think Rex knows his defense better then anybody on this board, if he thinks it's good I'm taking his word for it.

4. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Clark Judge (granted "expert" is a VERY loose term here.... at least he's better than Prisco! :wink: )

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/...ability?tag=coverlist_active;coverlist_footer

5. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

Dave Hutchinson gives the Jets the best grade in the AFC East (today's Sunday Star-Ledger):

http://www.nj.com/sports/nfldraft/in..._only_six.html

AFC EAST

Jets
    - Coach Rex Ryan got his cornerback in Piscataway native Kyle Wilson to solidify the back end of his blitz-happy scheme. But who’s going to rush the quarterback? Thirty-five-year-old Jason Taylor? Jets reinforce aging O-line with UMass’ Vladimir Ducasse, who could replace Alan Faneca, and trade up to grab RB Joe McKnight to replace the departed Leon Washington (Seattle). Grade: B-

Bills – News Bills GM Buddy Nix pulled a fast one by selecting Clemson RB C.J. Spiller at No. 9 overall but the joke is on him. RBs Fred Jackson and Marshawn Lynch are the strength of the team. Buffalo’s O-line is a disaster area. After taking Spiller, Bills continue to ignore offensive line by going defense with next two picks. Looks like a long season for new coach Chan Gailey. Grade: F

Dolphins – Traded down and nabbed Penn St. DE/DT Jared Odrick, a perfect fit for their 3-4 scheme and a shot of youth for their aging defensive line. Also picked up Utah OLB Koa Misi to energize a pass rush that lost DE Jason Taylor and LB Joey Porter. Ole Miss G John Jerry is solid. Grade: C+

Patriots – Bill Belichick got quantity but did he get quality? We like Rutgers CB Devin McCourty, but TE Rob Gronkowski missed all of last season following back surgery and LB Brandon Spikes is so slow he was timed with a sun dial in the 40-yard dash. WR Taylor Price might be a gem. Pats select three Florida Gators. Grade: C+

Holy cow... he gives the Bills an F!

6. Abovetherim

Abovetherim New Member

I just read a two page article in one of the pre draft magazines about Ducasse. He has an interesting story. Ducasse moved from Haiti to the United States when he was twelve years old.

During his first two years of high school he only played basketball. During Ducasse's junior year he started to feel comfortable with his new surroundings so he started to play football. I find it amazing how gifted of an athlete this guy is. He started to play a game that he had no knowledge of and still made it to the pros. When Ducasse began to play football he only knew one thing about the professional game, he knew who Jerry Rice was. His cousin or one of his friends gave him a Jerry Rice football card, that was the only thing he knew.

Every now and then you hear about these type of stories. Ducasse's story is identical to Osi Umenyiora of the Giants. Osi was born in London, shortly after his family moved to Nigeria then to Alabama when he was in high school. I read in an article a year ago that Osi started playing high school football his junior or senior year of high school.

Ducasse has a great story behind him and will most likely be a important part of the Oline this year.

#46 Abovetherim, Apr 25, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2010
  7. Wolfe Tone

Wolfe Tone New Member

I am hoping McKnight will be a better pro than a college player, could happen, stranger things have happened

8. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

I don't follow college ball that closely so for me to give my opinion on our picks would be uninformed but i'm just a little worried that the chemistry on this team is going to be what MAY kill us.
    I understand the logic of getting younger, no doubt we needed too at certain positions, but sometimes continuity is key.
    Yes, get younger but don't just cut ties with key veterans who are leaders in the lockerroom and still sevicable at positions that we have been crying needed dept.
    Why pay $5 million to show Faneca the door?
    I don't think it was a smart decision letting this guy walk for a couple of reasons.I think the veterans in the lockerroom are starting to grumble that this team is making too many moves and cutting ties with the leadership on this team.
    I love picking up the O-lineman but i think Faneca should have been kept 1 more year for depth.I understand the pass protection on his side was an achilles heel but he was a pretty good run blocker.
    Rhodes i LOVE sending him packing, but Thomas Jones still seems to me to be a more productive player then LT.I hope i'm wrong.
    I am so scared at how excited i am about this team. I am scared that we may have overhauled the roster a litte too much.
    Again, just my opinion, but i'm kinda worried to be honest.

9. Trifco

Trifco New Member

I'm only concerned because of Faneca; I'd love they have kept him cause he'd be a great insurance in case Slauson and Ducasse (both unproven) don't turn out to be what the CS and us are expecting...
    ...but he'd be the most expensive backup ever (besides you know who); so I'm willing to take risks (specially since this is not a "now and never" year, this team is being build to last for several years, so those risks are welcome)

Excited about both cornerbacks and Conner.
    Wondering/expecting Ducasse and McKnight turn out right.

#49 Trifco, Apr 25, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2010
  10. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

we got an A according to this guy
    http://www.luckylester.com/2010/04/new-york-jets-2010-nfl-draft-review-grade/

New York Jets: 2010 NFL Draft Review & Grade

April 25, 2010 by luckylester

New York Jets: What an off-season for the Jets. Kyle Wilson was my top rated corner, and they picked him up with the 29th overall pick. He should team with Revis and Cromartie to make the best corner trio I’ve seen in a long time. Vladimir Ducasse gives the Jets a big huge man to play guard, and allowed them to dump Alan Faneca’s 8 million dollar salary. They traded a 5th round pick for Santonio Holmes and added Joe McKnight’s big play ability in the draft, as well as LT’s talents (though less than they used to be, still solid in my opinion) through Free Agency. They sure added a lot of assets by giving up late round draft picks, but still made the most out of their few selections over the weekend. The draft alone might not look amazing, but judging on their entire off-season, I’m plenty impressed. A

11. MexJetinBcn

MexJetinBcn New Member

Yeah, sometimes we forget that we got Santonio for a fifth, that should count as a draft pick as well (and a bloody good one)

12. MexJetinBcn

MexJetinBcn New Member

Walter Football overall ranking for us (not a surprise)

The best teams shouldn't be able to get the best players. That's not how this process is supposed to work. But don't tell that to the Jets - with two of their picks, they acquired the consensus No. 2 cornerback prospect in this class and Santonio Holmes via a trade.

New York had just three other selections, but it made the most of them. Vladimir Ducasse is expected to step in right away for the overrated and expensive Alan Faneca, who was released on Saturday. John Conner projects as a terrific blocking fullback. And Joe McKnight, a great weapon for Brian Schottenheimer, will replace Leon Washington, who was shipped away to Seattle. McKnight isn't projected to be better than Washington, but keep in mind that Washington was coming off a nasty leg injury and was asking for a contract extension. McKnight is a cheaper and healthier solution.

I wanted the Jets to upgrade their front seven, but I can't really argue with the players they obtained in the 2010 NFL Draft.

Overall 2010 NFL Draft Grade given on 4/26/10: A

Other teams in our division:

Buffalo
    The Bills have no plan. And it's sad, really. This loyal fan base deserves better.

What in the world is Buffalo planning to do at quarterback? Go back to Trent Edwards or Ryan Fitzpatrick? Move forward with the inept Brian Brohm? How can the front office sell this crap to its fans? If I were a Bills fan, I'd protest and not go to any games.

C.J. Spiller is exciting, but you don't spend the No. 9 pick on a running back unless it's a once-in-a-decade prospect like Adrian Peterson. Maurice Jones-Drew, Chris Johnson and Frank Gore are three of the better backs in the NFL, and yet they didn't make the playoffs last year. Why is that? Because the NFL is now a passing league. If this were 1980, I'd give Buffalo a good grade for taking Spiller. Unfortunately, this franchise is living in the past.

Some quality late-round selections save this from being an F, but to completely neglect the quarterback position and the offensive line until Round 5 is completely irresponsible.

Overall 2010 NFL Draft Grade given on 4/26/10: D

Miami
    The selection of Jared Odrick proved confusing at first. With absolutely no need for a 3-4 end, why would Bill Parcells pick one in the first round? As it turns out, incumbent 3-4 end Randy Starks will be moving over to nose tackle, one of Miami's most prominent needs entering the 2010 NFL Draft.

The other huge need was addressed in the second round with a pick obtained when the Dolphins moved down from No. 12 to 28. Koa Misi figures to be a nice complement for Cameron Wake.

Parcells had a few other quality selections, including guard John Jerry and free safety Reshad Jones, a Round 2-3 prospect obtained all the way in the fifth round. With any luck, Jones will be an upgrade over Gibril Wilson, who was terrible last year.

Overall, the Dolphins did a good job addressing their needs with the best talent available. When grading Miami's draft, I also factored in the fact that the team's original second-round pick was used on Brandon Marshall.

New England
    The Patriots don't always come away from a draft with quality players, but they wheel and deal better than anyone. Through their numerous trades, they somehow acquired Carolina's second-round pick in 2011, which means they have two ones and two twos next April. As Adam Schefter tweeted, it's like they have all four railroads in Monopoly.

I think New England did a good job with their actual prospects as well. Devin McCourty doesn't address an immediate need as a starter, but he was the best player available and should contribute as a reserve in 2010.

There were two things Bill Belichick needed to do in this draft: find weapons for Tom Brady and acquire players who can generate some sort of a pass rush. Belichick handled the former with tight ends Rob Gronkowski and Aaron Hernandez, and receiver Taylor Price. Meanwhile, Jermaine Cunningham was a solid selection in Round 2 whom Belichick had a close, personal look at the day after Florida's Pro Day.

My only qualm with New England's draft is its failure to address the 3-4 end position until late. Other than that, the Patriots walked away from the 2010 NFL Draft as winners.

#52 MexJetinBcn, Apr 26, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2010
  13. Vorrecht

Vorrecht Active Member

^ Great analysis by someone I assume isn't even a Jets fan. Better than the guys on Jets Nation...

14. MexJetinBcn

MexJetinBcn New Member

One more, draftdebacled.com, and another nice one.

http://www.draftdebacled.com/DeBlogled.aspx

Winners: The Baltimore Ravens blah blah...

The New York Jets also did a great job in the draft, adding Kyle Wilson in the first round. With Wilson, Dwight Lowery, Antonio Cromartie, and Darelle Revis patrolling the secondary, it will be awfully hard to spread the Jets out and find a mismatch. OL Vladimir Ducasse was one of my favorite prospects of the entire draft, and his talent and versatility will bring an infusion of youth to New York’s skilled but aging line. They also landed Joe McKnight to replace the oft-injured Leon Washington and picked up a competent fullback in John Connor to eventually replace the ageless Tony Richardson. You can’t do a whole lot better with four picks.