PSL News just announced

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by sect105, Jan 22, 2009.

1. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

I am a bit fearful that in his head long quest to grab our money Woody will switch his position & make the UD also subject to PSLs

2. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

PHASE 5
    Get Miss Upton to sit on your face.

PHASE 6
    Enjoy your 50YL, 1st Row Upper Deck Seats.

3. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

I don't care how much $ you have, the concept of paying a large sum of money for the right to be locked into buiying another high priced product seems ridiculous to me.

even more so considering it's a SHARED stadium with both teams chipping in....

#143 stinkyB, Jan 28, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2009
  4. Section 227. Row 5

Nothing is outside of the realm of possibility. If someone had told me a year ago that the Jets were going to auction off PSLs on eBay at different prices I would have said, "Yeah, right."

I think Woody is going to have some egg on his face unless he gets even more innovative with the PSL sales. They will all have to be sold or otherwise, you have a situation where the stadium is not "sold out."

This sets up the possible nightmare that the games cannot be broadcast live on TV, which is going to piss off a whole bunch of people and create a negative media nightmare the likes of which will make the "Heidi Game" fiasco look like childsplay, not to mention how ridiculous Woody will look, especially after the Giants sell out and thier games are televised.

He's not about to let that happen, so all bet are off the table with regard to moving this worthless merchandise. They will pull out all the stops to get this shit sold, which means some guys will pay $4000 and some guys in the row in front of them will have paid $2100. Ridiculous.

5. JetsFan2004

JetsFan2004 Member

This isn't a new concept. Jets season ticket holders have been selling the rights to own their seats to other 3rd parties for years. There are listings on ebay right now for it, and numerous other football teams do it.

6. Section 227. Row 5

It's the ticket prices that bother me the most.

Even if I could justify the PSL number (or let's say they cut them in half, even), that still does not let you off the hook for whatever they feel like charging in the future.

In fact, it gets you on the hook. They've now got that hammer to use. I know from 23 years of hefty price increases in my section that they will have absolutely no reservation about hiking those prices into oblivion.

Like I say, if we're eliminating torture as a national policy, somebody better talk to Woody, because waterboarding is nothing compared to what the Jets are going to do to their loyal PSL "fanbase" after they've been idiotic enough to commit to them.

7. JetsFan2004

JetsFan2004 Member

Yeah, I've definetely thought about this too. And I personally think this is exactly how they will sell a lot of the PSLs. But, in my opinion, for the best seats down low (say rows 1 -10) the PSL will be what it is now and sell for $5K (in the instance of where I'de like to sit). This is where i feel it is worth the premium that i will be paying. So i won't be upset if a person, say, 15 rows behind me only pays $2K. I feel i have a better seat than them (of course, this is just in my opinion as everyone has a different idea of what is a good seat).

Of course, like you said, if the person next to me pays $500 bucks, I may reconsider whether I'd be upset, but that's another discussion.

I do believe, though that the Jets will have to discount some of the PSLs, but i still feel they will sell.

8. Section 227. Row 5

Yes, I agree. They will all sell. They cannot allow a situation where the stadium is not completely "sold out." So yeah, some guy may spend only $2000 in your section.

But what most people aren't taking into consideration is that what the Jets and Giants are REALLY selling is the future ability to gouge the livin' shit out of the guys that bought into this ridiculous trap (at whatever price).

What I am saying is, 5 years from now, the price they sold the original PSLs for is small potatoes compared to what they'll be able to do with the pricing. The whole idea of getting the PSLs sold AT ANY PRICE is still a sound economic policy and a very good idea (from the Jets' business point of view) because this opens the door for the cornholing procedure to take place later on. They're smart enough to realize that it isn't so much the PSL price they're getting right now, it's the almost unbelievable prospect that they'll now have such a captive audience they can do just about whatever they want to with the ticket price. What a future profit center!

So it's not even the price of the PSL that's important anymore, it's the trap you've allowed yourself to be talked into and the fact that you've basically assured yourself that you'll be submitting to an annual Louisville Slugger-sized prostate exam by Woody.

9. sec314

sec314 Well-Known Member

Hey, maybe the one good thing that will come out of this is people with tickets will go to all the games!!!

10. sec314

sec314 Well-Known Member

Its going to look like Devil games

11. sec314

sec314 Well-Known Member

Totally agree. This is going to very interesting. Jet fans have a chance to make history, not just bitch and moan, but actually do something. "FU" to PSL's and have the biggest market in the country blacked out locally.

12. Section 227. Row 5

It might, but I think the market will still determine what the tickets are truly worth.

In other words, I don't believe unused tickets will not be sold. People will still try to bail out and sell on eBay at any price, just to get something for them.

I know it sounds crazy, but there will always be that guy who paid $4 grand in PSLs and another $400 for the ticket price, but he'll sell it for $75 just to get something back.

The market will detrmine what these new tickets are worth, PSLs and all taken into consideration. If the Jets are winning and they're playing the Patriots, the stadium will still get packed. If they're 2-9 and playing Minnesota, you won't be able to give them away.

That's what's so F'ed up about these PSLs. I don't think they'll even be able to be passed along to a secondary buyer should you not be ab le to attend a particular game.

13. KSJets

KSJets New Member

Hey, I can dream :smile:

14. JetsFan2004

JetsFan2004 Member

I go to about 10 Devils games a year, and besides ticket prices being too high for lower level tickets, part of the problem there is a lot of the fans hang out in the bars on the lower level and watch the games from there. It's actually a better view than from their seat, and they have easy access to booze throughout the game.

The Devils are the only thing I have right now so I try to go like once a month.

15. JetsFan2004

JetsFan2004 Member

I also think there will be empty seats because of the corporate component. There aren't many true fans that will be able to afford the highest PSLs and seats (the $400 ones). Corporate seats often go unused. Just look at the lower bowl of the Garden when the Rangers/Knicks play. Lots of empty seats, but they are sold.

16. JetsFan2004

JetsFan2004 Member

Someone tried to do a rally at one of the games earlier this year, and it failed miserabley as noone showed up. I didn't attend it, but if anyone was there and can share why it didn't do well, i'd like to hear.

17. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

I was thinking along the very same lines when I turned in last night. Er, this morning. I think it's back a couple of pages by now as to what I decided to do. I knew even at the time I posted that the GIANTS are charging $1,000 PSL for the Upper Deck, but what's really making me the maddest is that Sect 239 for Jets is the same PSL price as Sect 139 in the new Stadium (I sit in Sect 131 right now). How the F can the Jets see fit to charge the same PSL to essentially sit in the Mezz than if I'm sitting at field level? It was an option I was at first considering given the price of Sect 139.

It's crap. To sit in what is Sect 239 for the GIANTS is 12.5K LESS PER SEAT. You are in a far better position than me. I feel really, really screwed, because sitting in the Upper Deck is a major, major downgrade for me; but at the same time, no way I'm giving them that kind of money all things considered, even if I had money to burn. Agreed; let them come to me with a major discount in May on the slight chance they don't sell out. They can stick it on this day.

18. sec314

sec314 Well-Known Member

Appreciate the Devils. I am an Islander fan

19. sec314

sec314 Well-Known Member

We don't need rallies. We need people to not pay for the PSL's and give up the tickets. Its put up or shut up time

20. JetsFan2004

JetsFan2004 Member

I wasn't saying we need a rally. I was merely asking if anyone remembered it and attended.

A rally would help to get people all on the same page and spread word. Unfortunately, this and other fan websites reach a very small population of the ticket buying fans. That's why there is no way that everyone is going to tell the Jets no to PSLs. That is exactly why I've come to grips with the fact that I am going to pay. Short of a massive ad campaign against PSL's people are going to pay them.