Ps3 fanboy, defend this

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Tight, Jun 8, 2006.

1. Tight

Tight Active Member

200 dollars extra for a blu-ray player, which isn't definite to be the next best thing ??? Im going to buy one, just cause theres some games I cant miss, mgs4,god of war 2etc. but if it wasnt for the select few titles, then it'd be a no brainer.

2. Duk Dodgers

Duk Dodgers Active Member

fyi....god of war 2 is coming out for ps2.....

3. nyjetsrule

nyjetsrule Active Member

but mind you your still going to buy it... so Sony apparently did something right, and unfortunately i think that's what they were counting on with the jacked price, that most people will still buy it because of the great game selection, it's hype as the biggest thing in Video Gaming EVER, and it's the only system coming out this Christmas..... (as far as i know, but not sure of the Wii's release, but who's Buying a Wii anyway?)

4. Duk Dodgers

I would be very fortunate to get a ps3, I could use the profits I get selling it on EBAY to buy a WII to go along with my 360. If the rumors are true they won't have enough 3's to satisfy demand, another reason those parents will go with the WII or 360. Still, I think the ps3 will rule....in japan.....initially.

I remember the shock I felt when I decided I would abandon nintendo and its 'ultra 64' and go with the playstation....and now it looks like everything is going in reverse....i wonder if this is just history repeating itself.

I've got nothing against playstation, hell I plan on buying Metal Gear Substinance next week, but it doesn't take a gaming insider to see the ps3 will not sustain the same level of dominance the ps2 had.

They will lose customers who have faithfully bought both ps and ps2, but it won't be b/c the underdelivered. I think they tried to do way to much....way to soon. Still, there's no denying the power of a brand name (definately sony's saving grace), so the race to first place will be an interesting one.

5. Duk Dodgers

Analysts: Sony from First to Worst?
    DFC's ten reasons to be worried about Sony.
    by Luke Smith, 06/30/2006

159 of 168 users recommend this story.
    Analyst group DFC Intelligence published their latest report on the game industry today. Titled, "Could Sony Go From First to Worst?" the report has the analyst group rethinking the race for the next generation market lead. Admittedly, the DFC, like other analyst groups is just forecasting and conjecturing possible outcomes, but the document's opening paragraph includes this revision:

"Suffice to say events of the past six months have forced us to overhaul our models like never before. It now appears clear that this new generation of console systems is going to result in a big shake-up in the game industry power structure."
    Sony's loss of market share was never in question, even earlier estimates indicated that Sony would lose market share, but still climb back to the top (even as early as 2007 according to Wedbush Morgan Securities), now DFC Intelligence speculates that Sony very well could finish third in the upcoming hardware cycle. In this latest report, DFC is careful to maintain that their latest forecast is not concrete, but rather an amalgam of speculation on a number of factors -- they detail ten points that they've built this forecast around, below.

1. Brand, Current Market Position and Past Consumer Behavior relative to all players in the marketplace.
    2. Current Software including Software Diversity, Third Party Support, Exclusives and Big Hits.
    3. Current Software for the Competition looking at all the above factors.
    4. Expected Upcoming Software looking at all the above factors.
    5. Expected Upcoming Software for the Competition looking at all the above factors.
    6. Current Price
    7. Current Price for the Competition.
    8. Expected Future Price.
    9. Expected Future Price for the Competition.
    10.Hardware, Extra Features, the "Wow Factor," Intangibles and the Ability to Pull a Rabbit Out of a Hat.
    DFC offers this: "Sony has done very little to justify why the system is worth a premium price for consumers that don't care about raw hardware performance and are not hard-core audio/visual consumers. Unfortunately we believe that represents over 90% of the consumers in the marketplace." They directly challenge Sony's ability to justify if the PS3's price will align with the additional features for prospective users.

While the PS3 launch strategy does mirror the PS2's in numerous factors, the inclusion of new technology (via Blu-Ray) in the 2006 console does not seem to be timed with how interested consumers were in upgrading their VHS players to a disc format for movie watching. This time, consumers will pay a premium ($599) for that functionality, where at PlayStation 2's launch, the pricepoint was still in-line with what consumers expected to pay for a next-generation machine, thereby the added functionality felt like a free bonus, instead of something that increases the system's price.

DFC tackles software going forward by diminishing (much like Sony's Jack Tretton did, recently) the importance of Grand Theft Auto. "However, we estimate that less than 20% of PlayStation 2 owners bought a GTA game. ... Without GTA buyers, the PS2 would still have outsold the competition by more than 3 to 1. The secret to the PS2's success was more in the wide range of product offerings: all kinds of sports games, racing games, RPGs, action titles, big name licenses, kid friendly products, RPGs with Disney characters, etc. Japan had Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest, Europe had EyeToy and SingStar. In all markets, the PlayStation2 was a complete entertainment system for the family priced under $300."

The comparison here, is that Sony, with the PS3 is shifting their focus from providing affordable gaming to a potentially huge install base (via PS2 users wanting a PS3) to instead providing a top end game machine geared less toward the average user and more to a high end electronics consumer.

Ultimately the DFC concludes that supply for the PS3 will be so short that regardless of the price point the system will sell -- at least until Holiday 2007, but by then, DFC speculates the price will need to change in order to meet the needs of consumers. Will other analyst groups who previously foresaw Sony finishing first in the upcoming hardware cycle change their estimates? And if they do, how will Sony shareholders respond?

6. Jtuds

Jtuds Active Member

I think you mean THEY'RE in the first quote and THEIR in the second sentence, then THEY'RE again in the fifth sentence. And also, its RETARDED...RETARTED is not a word. The sign that you've played video games too much is then you can speak about game technology better than you can speak your own language.