ProFootball Weekly 2009 Preview... Jets dead last

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Petrozza, Jun 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. feelthepain

feelthepain New Member

I think many Jet fans such as yourself see what you want to see and not whats really there. Of course you want the Dolphins to be the worst team in the division, for many reasons. You making a post like the one I'm quoting is hardly out of the norm for most Jet fans. I wouldn't expect you to give the Dolphins credit for anything.

Whats wonderful and quite amusing about your post is it's nothing more than the opinion of an extremely bias Jet fan. The teams still have to play the games. And last year at this time Jet fans thought exactly the same thing about the Dolphins and the outcome of the 08 season was was nowheres near their opinion.

The Best part about these opinions is the reasoning behind the opinions. "The Dolphins have a tougher schedule, so they won't be able to walk through another season".....well the Jets had nearly as easy a schedule and they didn't do much with it, even though the Jets spent a ton more money in upgrades to imporve. Or how bout this little gem, "The Dolphins won't have the wildcat because everyone knows how to stop it!".

As if that's even a valid argument, I think there is plenty of evidence to show Miami was far more successful out of their base offense than the wildcat, and Miami still has to play defense, which the wildcat is not used on the defensive side of the ball. So that argument is simply ignorant to say the least.

No matter how hard you try, the teams still have the games and your extremely bias opinion has no bearing on the outcome of the 09 season. So really all you're doing is expressing what you hope will happen, not what you know will happen.

#881 feelthepain, Jul 7, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2009
  2. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

Talk about alot of nothing. Really, you said nothing. So someone posts their opinion, and you say how opinions don't have a bearing on the season. Thanks for the brilliant insight.

3. rmagedon

rmagedon Active Member

Can you tell me what your opinions on the Dolphins will be for next year and where/how they'll end up? I'd love to hear it.

4. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

I wonder if he comes here expecting us to say nice things about the Dolphins?

Here's one for you.

DOLPHINS SUCK ASS!!!!!

5. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

So... you're discounting our posts because they are opinion... and then you give your opinion?! The opinion of the most biased Dolphins fan on this board! How long did you hold your breath before you typed all of that crap up?

#885 abyzmul, Jul 7, 2009
  6. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

Vinny was 39 and had a bad year in 01. He never had a full grasp of Hacketts system and Hackett was clearly brought in to install the O for Chad. Vinny played poorly in both 00 and 01 and was clearly a statue and near done.

Chad was drafted to take over and the OC was brought in to install the O for him. He had a full year on the bench in the new system. Herm blew it on this one.

He was even dumber after 04 when he blamed the kicker but decided to install a down field passing O with multiple changes on the OL and a QB coming off shoulder surgery.

Herm walked into a win now team and left it in ruins. The guy was nothing more than an underachiever who left two teams in much worse shape than he got them in.

No NFL coach starts the year with a 39 year old QB when they had a 1st round pick on the bench for two years with an O designed for that QB. If Herm wanted to start Vinny he should have installed a down field OC in 01 not a WCO which Vinny had no clue how to run. You can't have this both ways. Herm is either a dope for putting in a new O when he wanted to go to war with Vinny because Vinny carried us to 10 & 6 or he makes the change to fit the staff and QB he had brought in. He made the same dumb move after 04 in reverse the pattern can't be denied.

#886 winstonbiggs, Jul 7, 2009
  7. feelthepain

feelthepain New Member

Well I don't think they'll be last. Worst case 3rd, best case first. I think Miami answered a lot of questions this offseason and added more talent. Miami is also going tino their second season under the current staff and they have a year of expreince they didn't have last year. There's no need to change the losing mindset that permiated this team after the 07 season. This team is also hungry to succeed. Something IMO the Pats have lost. I think the Pats still have confidence and talent, but their hunger to dominate isn't the same as it was 5-6 years ago.

If I had to guess I think 10 wins is very reasonable and possible. Everyone wnat to look at schedule and makes claims of it's toughness, but no one thought Seattle, Jacksonville and San Diego were all gonna have crappy ass seasons in 08, but they did. So to think the schedule is and will be this huge problem IMO is nothing more then something to talk about and debate. Hoenstly I'm glad it's a tough schedule, I want to see where the Dolphins stand among the rest of the league.

I think Miami is in better position to succeed than the Jets and most definatley the Bills. I think we have just as much talent as the Jet and in some areas more talent. The Bills could be the most talented team in the league and it wouldn't help them get past 500 because of perheaps the worst coaching staff in the league.

I think the Dolphins will compete with the Pats for the division title. I think the Pats defense is a weakness. I think they will score a lot of points, but I think their D will give up a lot of yards and points. Miami has given the Pats the most fits of any team in the division and I think TS is a good enough coach to prevent the Dolphins from looking past anyone.

Like I said I could 10+ wins this year for the Dolphins.

8. feelthepain

feelthepain New Member

Ah yes, the typical no class post. You must be proud.

9. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

don't waste your time w/ him, he is a giant fan- actually he switches and I think he was busy watching Giant games b/c we struggled early that year.

This is a guy that continues to tell me we were loaded w/ talent but always ignores why a team loaded w/ SB caliber talent would have 4 coaches walk out on in just over a years time.

Read the entire post.

10. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

we need a QB forum

11. winstonbiggs

Why did Cowher leave the Steelers? Why did Parcells leave the Giants, the Pats and the Jets only to take jobs elsewhere? Perhaps coaches like all people take jobs based on ownership, benifits and control as oppossed to personal?

You're argument is a complete stretch with no basis for reaching any conclussion regarding talent. Maybe Woody isn't as respected as many think?

You continue to respond but others are wasting their time.:rofl:

#891 winstonbiggs, Jul 7, 2009
  12. rmagedon

rmagedon Active Member

The Pats went 18-1 2 years ago and lost in the SB mainly against one of the best DL's in the league. Last year...without their All-Pro, HOF QB, they had the same record as the Dolphins who won the Division.

Care to elaborate on how the Pats have lost the 'hunger to succeed'?

13. nyjunc

Did 4 guys walk out on those teams? I understand after a coach has won and decides he wants a new challenge. BP wanted to leave the Giants for Atlanta after '86 but he was w/ us for just 3 years and dying for another winner as was BB and groh. Yet all walked out on us and BP turned down the job again after Groh walked out on us.

Why would 4 guys walk out on such talent? why did we miss 2 straight postseasons w/ such talent?

14. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

if you take away our opinion, you'll smell onions.

15. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

WB,

I agree with your last paragraph, but I think IS was making a different point, and that was about whether Vinny's record was sufficient to retain him for one more year. Yes, I agree if that was the plan, what Herm did with Hackett and the game plan was inexplicable. But I do recall there being questions raised about whether Chad was ready.

In hindsight I don't think it a fair assumption that the Jets would have done much better in 02 playing Chad the whole season, since once an opponent figured out the best defensive scheme to use against him was to bring up the pass D, his effectiveness fell off. That of course was the Oakland strategy. They may have done better, but...

But you are right about the moves regarding the offensive coaches and the overall structure of the O. That did not make sense.

16. winstonbiggs

Junc has argued over and over that Herm was an excellent coach and his reason is when Chad was healthy Herm got to the playoffs. How can you argue that with Herm running the show and Chad at QB the team would have sucked to open the year if the argument for Herm is he has an outstanding record as HC with Chad at the helm?

I do think we would have done better maybe 2 to 3 games better. Chad had an outstanding year in 02 and he may have been better not worse had he had more reps in TC and preseason and had those games early and I do think we win at least 2 more games that year. Vinny was outright horrible starting out the year. Maybe we get off to a crappy start and Chad gets his feet under him a game or two earlier and we win the KC game, the Raider game or the Bears game?

17. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

I'm not so sure Hackett was brought in specifically for Chad, either, in fact I'd bet he wasn't. That was more about their Kansas City connections from the past, as most coaching hires are, than a 3rd string (at the time) QB who had never been on the field. Turns out it was a good fit, but again Vinny was the undisputed man at the time, I find it hard to believe they brought in an OC for the whole team based on Chad's abilities. That would be like Ryan basing his OC for this year on who best fits Erik Ainge, doubtful at best.

18. winstonbiggs

If you're arguing that Herm brought in Hackett for Vinny it makes about as much sense as bringing in Dinger for Chad. Your argument is brutal for the misconceptions of comparing a 5th round pick in Ainge behind a young QB to a first round pick brought in to be the franchise QB and calling him a third string QB. I do agree however that Herm and Bradway were dumb enough to bring in Hackett for Vinny and Dinger for Chad and Herm was obviously dumb enough to leave Chad on the bench when Vinny had shown a steep decline the previous two years with no indication that he was ever going to get back to his pre achiles injury self.

#898 winstonbiggs, Jul 7, 2009
  19. nyjunc

I have argued Herm is a good coach but that his 2 poor seasons happened when he lost his starter. This man has led teams w/ 3 diff starting QBs to postseason so obviously I don't think it was all Chad.

You do realize that Chad had never started heading into 2002, right? You do realize the amount of injuries we had early on, right? It wouldn't have mattered who the QB was early in the season, we weren't playing poorly b/c of the QB.

20. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I remember most of the questions being raised were in comments by a 2nd year HC who had a boner for veteran players. Herm's main concern about Chad were if I remember correctly that Chad didn't 'just sling it'. He was 'too cerebral'. Hell, Herm praised Tory Freaking Woodbury over Chad in those same interviews. It seems to me that Herm didn't want to start Chad because he approached personnel the same way he approached gameplans. Ultra-conservative.

Edit - I found the article:

http://www.nytimes.com/2002/04/29/sports/pro-football-thinking-quarterback-may-think-too-much.html

''At times he made some nice throws,'' Edwards said. ''And at times he's too analytical.''

''Tory doesn't know enough at quarterback at this point, so every time he goes back he tries to throw it as far as he can,'' Edwards said. ''Sometimes he's throwing rifle shots over the batting cage. When he doesn't see it, he just takes off. The problem with Chad is, he's been a quarterback all his life. He's so analytical. Just drop back and throw the guy the ball. If he throws it 10 feet over the guy's head, who cares? He doesn't want to make a mistake. He worries about making a mistake rather than 'I'm going to make a play.' ''

''Then he'll probably never be great,'' Edwards said. ''But that doesn't mean he can't be a good quarterback. I always tell players, 'Don't play to be good, play to be great.' That will be his problem. All the great ones you've ever seen play, they've got a swagger. They don't go by the numbers. He's got to figure out what he is. He's got a lot of attributes; he's a conscientious guy. He's got the makings of it. But then he's got to do it.''

I can't remember any other comments about Chad from the Jets' CS past this particular presser that Herm had during OTAs.

#900 abyzmul, Jul 7, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.