ProFootball Weekly 2009 Preview... Jets dead last

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Petrozza, Jun 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

It was basiaclly your way of saying another HC won w/ a backup QB so why couldn't Herm? As if the situations of those teams was similar to the 2003 or 2005 Jets.

2. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

Yeah, that was my point. Edwards lost his quarterback to injury and he could not overcome it, whereas some other head coaches have overcome it. Many have not overcome it. But again, some have.

If you would like to start getting into comparisons, then maybe I'll go there. The thing is, I had not gone there yet.

3. nyjcanada

nyjcanada Active Member

this thread has sure gone through some emotional rides.

4. nyjunc

You do go there b/c you brought up Ferregamo in '79 and Morrall in '72. Those situations were in different eras and nothing like our situations in 2003 and 2005.

There are a million examples of teams that survived w/ a backup QB including us in 2004 and KC '06 but in '03 we had alot more going against us than just the QB being out and in '05 we played our 4th string QB most of the season among many other injury issues we had.

5. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

I love how a thread about the 2009 Jets leads to references of QBs in 1972. LOL

6. The Uniform Bomber

The Uniform Bomber Spivey's Agent

When you think about it, adults are the ones who curse.

Do you know any parents who let their kids curse?

7. nyjunc

Parents don't let their kids do alot of things that they ulitmately wind up doing. It sets a poor example on here w/ the kids on this board. We aren't negotiating to disarm nuclear weapons, we really shouldn't be getting so upset that we have to curse at each other.

8. The Uniform Bomber

^ Yes, we need to educate all of the kids on TGG that if they witness a robbery, they need to report it.

Kids: If you see something, say something!

9. nyjunc

Nah, just walk right by and do nothing.

I feel a duty to help educate folks on the board and if I can help educate young fans it's that much better. W/ all the nonsense that is spewed on here and other boards younger fans are getting misinformation and I feel a responsibility to get correct info out to them. If the older fans want to absorb that info then that is great and I appreciate when others share info w/ me that I may not have known or forgotten.

10. rmagedon

rmagedon Active Member

[​IMG]
    THANKS SUPERJUNC! Can I have your autograph?!

11. BLITZKRIEG

BLITZKRIEG New Member

I don't put much stock into magazine rankings. They have no more knowledge than any of us do in my opinion. Regardless, based on strength of scheduling, I think we'll see a close race to the finish in the AFC East this year...

New England Patriots - 10-6
    Miami Dolphins - 9-7
    New York Jets - 8-8
    Buffalo Bills - 6-10

B~K

12. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

You have consistently argued that Herm made the playoffs with a healthy Pennington but you argue here that Chad and Herm would have had a lossing stretch in 5 games had Herm started him in 02. The fact is if Vinny wins 2 games Chad doesn't get off the bench. Herm had no intention of playing Chad in 02 at all. Herm was a dope for not starting Chad in 02 and it probably cost us maybe a bye and a real opportunity with a built to win now team. What you are really crediting Herm for is essentially giving up on the season and giving Chad some work to prepare him for the next year. The team cought lightning in a bottle and got lucky when Dave Wanstadt screwed the pooch in NE. If Vinny plays mediocre early on the Jets are a 5 to 6 win team in 02 based on Herms design.

Herm got lucky and once his luck ran out and the Jets were dependent on him being a really good HC, he shit the bed both with the Jets and the Chiefs.

In a league where there are 5 or more job openings every year the fact that Herm wasn't in the mix last year says volumes about what the league thinks of Herm as a HC. Mangini got a job in 10 minutes.

Your entire argument is that when Herm had a healthy Chad he won. The fact is Herm made the HC decision to leave a healthy Chad on the bench for an over the hill QB with an offense designed for a healthy Chad.

You also completely discount that Herm threw out that same O that with a healthy Chad won and installed at his option a down field passing game with an unhealthy Chad and a weak armed back up in Feilder and the results were a complete dissaster.

#872 winstonbiggs, Jul 7, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2009
  13. Jet Blue

Jet Blue New Member

Honestly, Parcells or no Parcells... I LAUGH at the Miami Dolphins.

I predict a sweep... Last year with chad freaking Pennington was a complete pipe dream miracle.

as Rex would say .... BRING IT ON.

I think the Dolphins are at the bottom if the AFC east and some of there fans that are out of a 10 your stuper will be knocked back to reality....

The Jets have their issues as well and HEALTH is a key to either teams success (Just like last year made it even close)... But, both teams being equal in that area, BRING IT ON!!!!!

14. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Now you're just playing games, junc. Are you trying to outdo raiderjoe or something?

15. The Uniform Bomber

Haha, you are so self-absorbed. I was responding to your comment about cursing, which you are well aware of (unless you can't read). So you respond to that by bragging about your 'knowledge.' Typical.

Please spare the kids of your tutelage. The last thing we need is more fans with Pennington's schwanz in their mouths, saying, "Hmm, .500 and a second round loss is okay because that's only happened a handful of times in NY Jets history."

The kids deserve better, Junc. And you know it.

16. nyjunc

I believe 3/5 of our OL were playing hurt, Dave Szott was out until December and Curtis had gotten hurt in week 1. That would have been a disastrous situation for an inexperienced QB.

Who cares if he had intentions or not? he did and we thrived b/c of it.

Herm didn't give up on the season and he made sure his players didn't quit which is hard to do.

Yep he got lucky making 3 postseasons in 5 years, how come in the other 44 years w/o Herm the Jets/Titans have only been lucky 9 other times?

Herm just got fired and as fired late so how did he even have a chance to get another job? he likely wouldn't have had he been fired early but you guys thought he'd never get another job after the Jets and not only did he get a job but a team gave us a draft pick for him.

That over the hill QB led us to 10 wins the year before and a playoff spot. he deserved first crack at the job.

The '05 O was a disaster b/c we had ONE OL start and end the season in the same position and we had a 4th string QB play most of the year.

17. nyjunc

Thank you for your opinion, I value it.

18. The Uniform Bomber

No problemo.

Kill 'em with kindness, SuperJunc.

19. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

The Jets' record with Vinny as the starter with entering 2002 was 31-14 and they were coming off a 10-6 playoff year. No NFL coach benches his QB under those circumstances. To say Chad should have started 2002 from the beginning and we'd have gotten a bye or whatever is pure hindsight, plain and simple. Chad had never been in an NFL game, it just doesn't go down that way in reality.

#879 Italian Seafood, Jul 7, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2009
  20. The Uniform Bomber

Yep, the timing of Herm's firing is why he wasn't offered another HC job. Man, Kansas City really did Herm dirty.

The excuses just keep on coming.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.