Predict the two first round picks

Discussion in 'Draft' started by JetFan20, Apr 23, 2021.

1. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

I prefer Jenkins over AVT also...

NCJetsfan and patleahy like this.
  2. patleahy

patleahy Well-Known Member

Me too. Mr. Jet80, I have to ask just out of curiosity, since I respect your football knowledge so much and haven't seen your opinion yet (if I missed it, I apologize).....where do you stand in the Fields v. Wilson debate? Do you prefer either QB at #2???

3. major33

major33 Well-Known Member

No beef, just never really been a fan. Recently I heard the word stat padder attributed to him. That's probably about accurate in the way I see him. Just meh. And they've been a weird team from year to year, even game to game since he took over. Maybe if Atlanta had better management during his tenure I would have liked him more. I did like him coming out of college but quickly soured on him in the NFL.

4. major33

Ugh. Again with the Fields. I don't want to see either him or Ryan on the Jets. Also, if I'm not mistaken, but I do believe Ryan's contract carries a massive cap hit this year and next.

Zach Wilson barring injury will be the starting QB for game 1 in September.

5. mrjet80

I would have to go with Wilson. I’ve read articles about him - he seems to have that go get ‘em drive along with the arm strength. For example I liked Darnold and think he will do well ( to a degree ) in Charlotte but I think deep down he doesn’t have that ‘take the bull by the horns’ persona.

With Fields it’s the Ohio State thing....he has shown flashes but looked rather rough in that loss in the championship. I’m not as sure of him being able to translate to the pros as Wilson would be. That’s just my opinion of course - Wilson certainly could flop also and I do worry about his physical well being with the prior shoulder surgery.....

The Jets have to get it right one of these days with the QB. O’Brien and Pennington both could have won Super Bowls if not for injuries detailing their careers and guys like Sanchez and Darnold were ruined by the front office and coaching geniuses .....

6. major33

We're linked to Jenkins because there is a chance he will be around at 23. It seems like AVT could be long gone by then. So it would be logical we would be in love with Jenkins because out of the elite 5, he may be the last one standing.

7. patleahy

I know this thread is predict the two first round picks, but what do you guys think about Wyatt Davis with pick # 34? PennyandtheJets made a pretty persuasive case for selecting davis in his Jets mock draft video, but in the comments section, there seemed to be a pretty divided opinion on Davis.

8. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

I wouldn't feel great about taking WD with our early second rounder. I think he has upside, I think he can potentially turn Into a strong starter. Right now though. I think he will be turnstile In the NFL. I wouldn't take him without trading back. I think there Is a good chance he Is still there In the third round. I would take a swing there.

He wasn't great for OSU. He did his job for the most part, but he was exposed a decent amount. I think he needs a lot of work honestly. His leverage Isn't good, balance Is all over the place, his technique needs work. Yeah.

Anyway. I personally would not take Davis In the second.

9. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

I read that his ceiling went from first round pick to possible back up player. Is that a legit statement? I couldn’t believe it, I remember this board being all over Davis.

#109 Red Menace, Apr 25, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2021
    IIMeanDeanII likes this.
  10. JetFan20

JetFan20 Well-Known Member

Joe Douglas has an contract that guarantees him around $18MM. He’s not saving pennies to open up a bakery. Drafting a QB is absolutely the safest play. Even if Wilson is a comparable prospect to Darnold it gives the Jets another chance at building something during the rookie contract window.

jilozzo and REVISion like this.
  11. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

No, Joe Douglas will never go broke. But he took his shot at GM with the Jets and like it or not the moment he drafts QB at 2 a clock starts somewhere to count down the window of success.

So this draft pick is the difference between a long and successful career at GM or heading up the personnel department of another team for another guy that is better at that job.

Br4d and ouchy like this.
  12. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

It's certainly not my preference to do this, but if the Jets wanted to trade back to get some more prime draft capital, and get a top rated rookie QB, and get a vet QB to give the rookie time to come up to speed I could see this possibility.

I didn't want to invest a lot of thought into something I doubt will happen, but if JD liked Lance or Mond, Davis, Trask, he could even trade the #4 pick for even more assets and still get all the above.

13. BakerMaker

BakerMaker Well-Known Member

2) QB Zach Wilson
    23) CB Greg Newsome
    Creed Humphrey in a trade down.

york61 and matt robinson 17 like this.
  14. patleahy

BakerMaker, what do you think of Wilson-Jenkins-Wyatt Baker with our first 3 picks?

15. mrjet80

It sure seems like that and that injury he got in the championship game didn’t help matters.

Red Menace likes this.
  16. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

Yes. That Is a legit concern for me as well. I do believe he can be a strong starter with a lot of work. I think come out of school, he will be a backup for sure. He might be closer than I think, but, again, he was a liability a lot the last couple seasons for OSU. He had his moments, for sure, overall. Nah. I'd pass.

Red Menace likes this.
  17. foxtrot

foxtrot New Member

Pitts and Trask. Both after tradedowns.

18. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Wow. That surprises me a little. He was very good in 2019, but as good this past season, but wasn't he dealing with an injury this past season?

Thanks for the info on what he needs to work on. The media and draft sites are all over the place on him, so it was hard to tell.

19. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

This sounds like a Joe Douglas draft.

People rag on Trask a lot but he is on the Roethlisberger/Flacco/Dilfer value spectrum and that's a hell of a place to be given that all 3 won Super Bowls. And yeah I get that Trent Dilfer was a failed pick.

TwoHeadedMonster and foxtrot like this.
  20. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

This certainly could be the case, but not necessarily. For instance, if he nails his drafts, continues to add quality players in FA, and Saleh proves to be a great HC & La Fleur a great OC, I think he could survive even Wilson busting, but I don't see that happening. I think Wilson's floor is a solid starter in the NFL as long as JD fixes the OL and upgrades the weapons around him. Now, if JD were to go defensive heavy in this draft to please Saleh and Ulbrich, and didn't get one of Jenkins, Humphrey, AVT, didn't add a RB or TE in this draft, then that could set back Wilson's development, especially if he's constantly on the run for his life or gets injured, and that could change things. I think as long as JD takes care of business and follows up his pick of Wilson with two OL in the first 3 rounds, adds a TE and RB in the draft, and a slot WR who is also a PR, then I think all will be fine.