Pre Game rituals

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by gustoonarmy, Sep 2, 2007.

1. FrankTheTank

FrankTheTank New Member

wake up at around 1045, throw on one of my jerseys and watch sunday nfl countdown while reading the daily news and ny post. for the game chips and dip are a must, salsa, guac, onion dip. go crazy and root for the jets, hopefully they win or the week is just off to a terrible start.

2. burf

burf Well-Known Member

I was gonna start a thread about Pre-Game/Game rituals, but saw this oldie but goody. So, back to life it is...
    Back in pre-historic times when I was a kid, my mom would make me a Chef Boyardee pizza from a mix.
    For some reason, I liked it... probably the sauce. One day, years later after I left the nest, I saw that pizza mix in a store. I made it just before a Jets game... they won big. Needless to say, I started making one before every road game (had season tickets at the time). Eventually, I'd make one before, or during halftime, almost every week... we're talking decades... until Gase. I took a few years away from Jetslandistan, but last season started following again. This season, I started my Boyardee fix again, so it's no wonder the team is showing signs of life.
    Any rituals you do on game-day??

Pepsiguy5 and Lon Chaney like this.
  3. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

In what way were they 'lucky'? I'm thinking we might have finally got to the root cause of the Jets' ineptitude over the past decade-plus!

New boxers, new era!

I don't have any pre-game rituals. I used to wear my Ken O'Brien shirt and then my Wayne Chrebet shirt, but I watched some heartbreakers with those on. I had no pregame routine when I watched the Monday night game against the Dolphins in 2000, or the Packers game in 2002 or the playoff wins in 2009 and 2010. So I guess my pre-game ritual is to do nothing special at all.

I do like to have a beer while I'm watching a live game, so maybe that's it – a Miller Genuine Draft (because I can't get High Life in the UK FFS!)

EDIT: I now see the original post was years ago, so the new boxers only worked for a while!

EDIT 2: And now I see I already made a joke about your 'lucky' boxers. Oh dear...

MoWilkBeast and K'OB like this.
  4. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

At least your sense of humour has remained the same though :D

MoWilkBeast and ukjetsfan like this.
  5. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

Before kids, probably a beer and a joint.

After kids. Drive around for 20 min so they fall asleep in the car, transfer to bed and get to watch the game distraction free (potentially) for most of it.

6. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

That is strangely comforting!

K'OB likes this.
  7. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

I'm sorry, but a chef boyardee pizza? I shit my pants just reading that.

The Waterboy likes this.
  8. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Did you indulge yet?

9. K'OB

Lon Chaney likes this.
  10. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

I try to watch all the 1 or 4 pm Sunday gages with my father. He's elderly now so it's a nice way for is to still bond.

We always have beer and chips with dip pregame then order from the pizza place for gametime - we switch it up but mostly pinwheels calzones or rolls.

Then i usually start slugging jamo to start the second half

burf and ouchy like this.
  11. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Send them boxers to @4jetfans so he can toss them in his mini bonfire!

12. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

I bet too much money.

That's my ritual... :confused:

13. StealthDefense

StealthDefense Active Member

Use to watch my brother in law with the games. He was the one who introduced me to the Jets in 89 (he use to post here many years ago. (Papichango)

When he passed away I stopped watching for a long time. Now my ritual is to watch the game alone, a glass of tequila on ice with a twist of lime in hand. I don't like to watch w I th other fans as I enjoy just watching things develop. Trying to call plays and flags before the ref announces.

Occasionally I text with a good friend who is a football fan who just happens to root for the Giants.

Acad23, Pepsiguy5 and Savatage like this.
  14. burf

burf Well-Known Member

Sorry for your accident. As I said, for some reason I like them... and this is coming from someone who once owned a Pizza shop, juices & eats healthy food. Superstitious rituals are usually bizarre, & obviously mine fits that.

Lon Chaney likes this.
  15. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

My son attended a Jets game about 20 years ago and bought me an authentic Jets cap. I wore it one Sunday and the Jets won. I said to myself "Wow, a lucky hat, I must wear this cap every game." The next game, I wore the cap and the Jets lost....so much for that. When the Jets signed Damon Harrison, I was a big fan of his so I bought a Jets t-shirt with his number and name on the back. I wore the t-shirt on the next game day and the Jets won. I said to myself "Wow, a lucky shirt, I must wear this shirt every game." The next game, I wore the shirt and the Jets lost.....so much for that. A few years later, my wife bought me a Jets sweat shirt. I wore it the next Sunday and the Jets won. I said to myself "Wow, a lucky sweat shirt, I must wear this sweat shirt every game." The next game, I wore the sweat shirt and the Jets lost. I'm running out of clothes to wear, but I like the idea of Jets underpants. Will try next.

NY Jets68 and burf like this.
  16. burf

burf Well-Known Member

K'OB likes this.
  17. K'OB

The true moral of this take is, you should only go to alternate games after making a purchaseand we might win the in-between games