Potential QBs In The Draft

Discussion in 'Draft' started by JetFanInPA, Dec 19, 2012.

1. SettlerDawg

SettlerDawg Well-Known Member

Will be top 5, if not the #1 overall pick. He's athletic, tall, accurate, and poised in the pocket. I haven't seen much of him since WVU went onto their losing streak, but my assessment of him is that he needs to read plays and make decisions faster. Has a good attitude, and it doesn't seem like he'll come into the NFL and become lazy after he gets his contract. Probably would of gone before Tannehill if he was in last year's draft. No chance the Jets get him unless they trade up.

2. BamaZeus

BamaZeus Member

Nassib intrigues me, though I haven't seen much of him. No way we take another USC QB right now, even in the 2nd or 3rd round if Barkley falls that far.

Landry Jones seems to have the physical tools, but also wilts under pressure: in other words, he's Sanchez with a better arm and no escapability, which behind our OL would be disastrous. Pass.

Tyler Wilson appears to be the best pure gunslinger out of all of them, but I think he'll be gone long before we're ready to take a QB.

Since we're allegedly a ground and pound team, how does everyone feel about taking a read-option style QB in the style of Jordan Lynch or Johnny Manziel? You could still effectively run downhill with that kind of offense, with the added element of a more mobile QB. Sanchez and McElroy both are decent scramblers, but you don't want them running QB keepers, unless at the goal line.

To me, it's a kind of weak year for QBs in the draft, and I'm definitely not excited about signing Vick or Alex Smith.

That said, I'd rather keep McElroy as the clear backup. I keep Sanchez because of the cap hit and pray that a new QB guru coach can simplify things for him and get his head cleared. And I take someone like Nassib in the 3rd/4th round and hope that he develops into a starter. I think overpaying/overdrafting for a QB in this class would be a mistake, given all the other holes we have to fill.

The only other way this can happen is if you somehow dump Sanchez and his salary, and bring in a veteran like Hasselbeck for one year, while praying that we draft Bridgewater, Derek Carr, or Tajh Boyd in 2014.

3. NoodleArm

NoodleArm Well-Known Member

I don't watch too much 'Cuse myself, and I'm trying to figure out what people see in Nasib. Here are the videos that I've watched so far:

NW: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKJiruGcgFw
    USC: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhgDOOq3hDY
    Rutgers: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfM3SpGv1IM

From what I can see, Nassib is a guy who wants to play very fast. He appears comfortable using his arm strength to gun passes between the hash marks. He's definitely got a cannon and can launch the ball with velocity, regardless of whether on the run or in the pocket. Whether it's dictated by his abilities or by play design, Nassib consistently looks to receivers between the numbers. He doesn't seem to lead his receivers very well -- likely due to a natural tendency to rely on arm strength. (Note: this may be because of the lack of receiver talent.) But Nassib can lead his receivers, particularly when he puts some air under the ball on his sideline throws. As seen in the Rutgers game, Nassib seemed to force a plays, resulting in turnovers. (Note: this may be because he was trying to carry the team on his back.)

I'm not a scout, so I don't really know what I'm supposed to be looking for. He appears to have a strong arm, but questionable decision-making, at least at this point.

TL;DR: I'd drop a fourth rounder for this guy, probably a third.

But I still think that Smith is the only certain thing in this draft.

4. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

I want Geno Smith again then again I want to rebuild the O-Line like rebuilt the D-Line and work out that way

Next year there's a ton of pass rushers and skill players this is the year to build our foundation like we did in 2006

5. mj2sexay

mj2sexay Active Member

This, although I think Nassib is going to get overdrafted and Manziel isn't coming out this year, and when he does come out will have a cemented spot at the top of the draft. Height isn't the issue it used to be when people see guys like Brees and Wilson succeeding despite their height.

I like the general point though. Bring in Norval or another established QB guru, see what they can get out of a competition between Sanchez and a veteran stopgap like a Matt Moore rather then chasing Smith or (ugh) Vick, and if next year really is that much of a disaster then they've set themselves up for a top pick to grab any of the qb's that come out next year (Carr, Bridgewater perhaps even Johnny Football if he comes out early). Don't let the bowl game against SMU fool you, Carr can play although I detest his propensity to throw off his back foot.

It's not that there aren't facets of Nassib's game that I don't like btw. But to me this QB class is so mediocre with so many teams having a need at the position that I could see a GM falling in love with him and taking him in round 2. I'd rather see the Jets stay the hell out of it altogether unless like you said they can nab someone later on like a Renfree in the mid-rounds. You watch. Teams are going to be so desperate that I could see someone whether it be Arizona, Buffalo, Cleveland or even the Chiefs (!!!) overdrafting the shit out of Tyler Wilson in the top 10.

#65 mj2sexay, Dec 26, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2012
  6. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Height is an issue if you can't move in the pocket or are smart enough to predict a spot to throw to.

I know for Manz he can create pocket vision but for other QBs it's not easy just because an All-Pro and ROTY can do it.

7. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

This is what happened with Tannehill last year. I think we're going to see three QB's drafted at some point in the 1st round. Geno Smith by the middle of the round. Matt Barkley late teens early twenties. Somebody else by the late 1st.

I don't see the Chiefs biting on Geno Smith early because the guy is not a big time prospect the way automatic top 3 guys usually are. He's solid but there are enough questions that people are going to hesitate to put their careers on the line by drafting him early.

If he does go somewhere in the top 3 I think you might get 5 QB's taken in the 1st and early 2nd. That'd be the panic mode where Barkley goes off the board by 8 and then Wilson by 15 and teams that really want a QB but didn't take him in the first 6 picks are all over the leftovers early in the 2nd and even trading up into the late 1st to grab the 2nd or 3rd guy on their list before he is gone.

8. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

This seems like a great year to accumulate more picks where possible.

Also wouldn't be opposed to trading back into the second for an extra first next year as well as another middle round pick this year.

9. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

So something like our 1st for 2, 3, 5 and future 1st

10. AlToon

AlToon Member

Sean Renfree of Duke. Todd McShay compares him to Matt Schaub. Duke head coach David Cutcliffe developed the Manning brothers.

Rich Cimini was on ESPNEWS. He said there will be a lot of speculation about Jets taking Geno Smith. The Jets could look at a QB later in the draft. Maybe 2nd or 3rd round.

#70 AlToon, Dec 27, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2012
  11. Win4ever

Win4ever New Member

I think Smith can be intriguing if he lasts to our pick, but I doubt it. He just doesn't fit our run and ground program. I'd personally love it, if we actually opened up the offense, but not sure Rex is open to it.

I actually like EJ Manuel somewhat later in the draft. His tools are excellent, and his stats are somewhat ok. He didn't dominate like his tools indicated, but I think he's someone that has a nice potential and won't cost a 1st round, and possibly even a second round pick.

But if we picked Geno with our first, I could justify it, but we would also have to run a more open and spread system, and it would depend on who we hire for the OC job.

12. Sanchize0829

Sanchize0829 Well-Known Member

Duke lost, but Renfree was impressive. He has impressed all year. I like him as a mid round prospect.

Also, if we were to take a WR in the draft eventually, Conner Vernon would be a great pick. I see a lot of Brian Hartline in him.

13. mj2sexay

mj2sexay Active Member

If Bray falls to the second I think he's a guy that should be considered...but our o-line will get him killed. He isn't exactly the most athletic QB to ever take a snap.

14. DMarsh6

DMarsh6 Active Member

How do you all feel about Tyler Wilson? I just have a feeling he'll be a good NFL QB.

15. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

Geno Smith (W.V.) and Ryan Nassib (Syracuse) face off tomorrow at 3:15... Good opportunity to get a look at both of these prospects.

16. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

will Nassib be available in round 4?

17. blackssmagic

blackssmagic Well-Known Member

As crazy as this sounds this is the one bowl game I really focus on....

18. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

1. If Carson Palmer and Mark Sanchez are any indications, you must avoid QBs from USC with that early draft picks, like a plague.

2. I am in line with br4dw4y's thought as well; if you want a new QB to groom, take a shot at 3rd or 6th. Other than that, fill other needs at the roster. Jets already have plenty. Jets must not spend top 3 rounds on QB this year.

19. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Don't take a QB in the 3rd. The NFL is collectively smart and a 3rd round pick is a real asset. Take the QB by the 36 pick or wait until the 6th round. By the 36 pick you're still getting a Grade A prospect, in the 6th round you're buying a lottery ticket cheap.

20. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Indeed it is a sensible idea. But then, there could be the likes of Russell Wilson lurking in the 3rd round as well. It all depends on who is available of course, but if there is a sure-fire draft prospect that you can use to fill a hole, then it is always a good idea to fill that hole than draft a QB - that is my line of thought.