Potential GM Candidates (Update: Idzik Officially Hired)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Murrell2878, Dec 31, 2012.

1. AJW

AJW Well-Known Member

Same here.

2. ArmandJ

ArmandJ Well-Known Member

If only I were psychic. I said in another thread that I had the feeling the media would try something since their pathetic little complaint was rescinded, and boy was I right.

3. Y4NK335

Y4NK335 Member

Per Rotoworld:

Former Browns GM Tom Heckert has canceled his general manager interview with the Jets.

Either Heckert is headed to Kansas City with Andy Reid, or he's seen writing on the wall that the Jets will be hiring Tom Gamble. Heckert is tentatively expected to land a front-office job with the Chiefs, but not necessarily GM.

4. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

Wait I thought Gamble was being interviewed tomorrow so how is there a rumor that he's the favorite

5. Y4NK335

Y4NK335 Member

Here is another article by Florio that is assuming the same:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/04/g-m-dominoes-could-start-falling-soon/

I'm not entirely sure how this is a foregone conclusion, but I'm assuming he is the heavy favorite at this point. Would be very happy with this move.

FWIW, Gamble has known Rex for more than 20 years and has worked with Buddy. Seems that he would have no problem giving Rex a shot

#165 Y4NK335, Jan 5, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2013
  6. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

I mean unless he was #1 on our list and we were #1 on his then good but until then I'll maintain my composure

7. Ben Had

Ben Had Active Member

Have there been any interviews yet?

8. Realistic Jets Fan

Yes

Started yesterday. Gamble today

9. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

Honestly just offer Gamble the job. let him bring in a young guy to groom under him and like Baltimore has with Newsome and DeCosta and we're set for the next 20 years.

However Gamble needs to slowly assemble this team, not a 1 or 2 year fix we need a solid 3-4 year plan to really become a true contender. We need deep drafts and great salary management.

10. 1968jetsfan

1968jetsfan Well-Known Member

If your going to go with a 3-4 year plan then we really need to consider trading Revis, Harris, Cromartie, Holmes, Sanchez, even if we have to eat salary to get picks for some/all of them. 3-4 year plan has Revis, Harris and Cromartie a couple of years on the wrong side of 30. So if the team wanted to go that route the logical thing would be to blow up the team (I keep Brick and Mangold because O-Linemen frequently keep their game in to their mid 30's, barring injury and you really want some vets on the O-Line to groom the young O-linemen and provide on field support.) Those moves would free up a ton of cap space starting in 2014, but the team would suck in 2013...which cosidering that top end of the 2014 draft wouldn't be a bad thing.

Not that Woody would do that, would lose too many PSL sales in 2013/2014, but it would be the logical thing to do.

11. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I agree on almost all of this.

I think keeping Cromartie might be wise though. CB's tend to play a bit later than other players due to the lack of consistent contact they take. Cromartie is particularly adverse to contact and so his injury risk is probably even lower than that. Cromartie has extraordinary incentive to extend his career by playing well because he has created some financial issues for himself down the road that will only grow as his children age.

Oh, and he's a pretty good CB, more than you need as a #1 but not overkill in the way Revis is. That's why he's a $9 million a year guy instead of $12 million. All of the factors above suggest that the Jets might profitably extend him in a year at maybe even a somewhat reduced salary and use him as the piece to build around in the secondary.

The cap is going to look way better in 2015 with Cromartie at $7 million a year as opposed to Revis at $14 million, and the $14 million might be a pipedream given that Revis is approaching unrestricted free agency.

12. 1968jetsfan

You'll get no argument from me, of course anyone can be had if the price is right. Despite all the pluses you mention if I could get a top 10 in the second round or higher for Cromartie I'd probably do it. Even though I said I was adverse to trading Brick and Mangold if someone foolishly offered a top 10 pick for either one I'd probably do it...but noone is going to offer that.

13. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Nick Mangold is an interesting case. If he was really healthy then the Jets keep him and build around him until he finally goes at 35 or 36. The back worries me though.

14. AlToon

AlToon Member

Gamble is the favorite

The buzz on favorites for GM jobs: Keim (AZ); Raye (SD); Gamble (Jets); Caldwell (Jax); Beane/Gettleman (Car); Dorsey (KC) ... CLE uncertain

https://twitter.com/AlbertBreer

15. 1968jetsfan

Yeah I was thinking about that, Centers of Mangold level don't come around often. In fact after thinking about it I think he's the only player over 26 or so that I don't think I'd trade.

16. MurrellMartin

MurrellMartin Well-Known Member

Hopefully whoever it is they'll get the job this week so we can start dismantling the coaching staff and moving forward. 2013 is going to be a waste of a season anyway, but it would be nice to see guys like Sparano and Cavanaugh kicked to the curb.

17. 1968jetsfan

Looking over that list of favorites if KC lands Dorsey after having landed Reid could make the Chiefs a very interesting team to follow. Really the only thing they are from being a good team is a QB.

18. AlToon

AlToon Member

Adam Schein believes Gamble is getting the Jets job.

If its Gamble,he should hire the offensive coordinator.

This man

49ers WR coach John Morton. He is responsible for designing the 49ers passing game.

Impressive resume. He was worked for Jim Harbaugh in two spots. Worked for Pete Carroll. Worked for Sean Payton.

2 years as WR coach with the Niners

Morton spent the previous four years at the University of Southern California as the school’s wide receivers coach. He also held the position of the Trojans passing game coordinator in 2007-08 and 2010, while serving as the school’s offensive coordinator in 2009. Under Morton’s tutelage, WR Damian Williams earned All-Pac-10 first team honors and, along with WR Patrick Turner, was a third round draft pick in the 2009 NFL Draft.

Prior to joining USC, Morton served at the passing game coordinator/offensive assistant with the New Orleans Saints in 2006, helping the Saints earn a berth in the NFC Championship game that season.

Morton worked under Jim Harbaugh at the University of San Diego as the passing game/wide receivers coach in 2005. That year, QB Josh Johnson set school records in completions (260), completion percentage (70.1) and passing yards (3,256), while WR Adam Hannula set a school record in 73 receptions.

From 1997-2004, Morton worked for the Oakland Raiders in several capacities and served alongside Harbaugh for two years (2002-03). He began in the Raiders personnel department and then worked as an offensive assistant, coaching the wide receivers for two years (1998-99). Morton then became the offensive quality control coach in 2000 and again worked with the wide receivers until 2001. He was then elevated to senior offensive assistant/wide receivers coach in 2002, where he coached Jerry Rice, who earned Pro Bowl honors, and Tim Brown on a team that earned a trip to the Super Bowl. Morton was later named the team’s tight ends coach in 2004.

http://www.49ers.com/team/coaches/john-morton/35142cf0-80c3-413e-8e44-cd78fbfdabf5

That's assuming Rex stays. Even if Rex stays. He will be gone.

Morton will be the head coach in waiting.

19. AlToon

AlToon Member

20. AJW

AJW Well-Known Member

Who cares what that hose in the nose thinks. Most annoying voice on TV and radio.