Potential GM Candidates (Update: Idzik Officially Hired)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Murrell2878, Dec 31, 2012.

1. CurbYourEnthusiasm

CurbYourEnthusiasm Well-Known Member

You wrote 'guyS' meaning plural. So we didn't get our first choice? From what Cimini wrote, he wanted Jax all along and used the Jets as leverage. Good for him.

Missing out on one guy is hardly an indictment of a failed GM search.

Other than Caldwell, no one has ANY idea who our top choices are.

2. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I don't think anybody in the media has an inside line to the Jets at this point. One of the things that has come out of the last couple of years of reporting is that the Jets have very few media sources that they trust for obvious reasons.

When I read Peter King these days I always take it with a grain of salt. There's truth there but there's also an agenda. I trust his take on the Pats more than the Jets, even though the Pats are a notoriously hard organization to read accurately.

3. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

I believe Caldwell has only 1 year of exp as Director of Pro Personnel. He's as much a risk as anyone else.

I want high level football accumen and preferably experience in a broad range of football operations.
    Also someone tough enough to disagree with Woody and Rex.

Popp is currently my favorite candidate. He literally has nothing left to prove in the CFL, as he's done everything you can do in that league.
    Even stepped in mid season as HC 2 different times.
    That shows me football accumen, accomplished experience, and toughness.

Also shows thinking outside the box....other than well the Steelers have won a lot of games, lets get Khan. How many teams hired head coaches based on that theory for it to not work out?

4. CurbYourEnthusiasm

CurbYourEnthusiasm Well-Known Member

RT @MikeMcCartney7 I've spoken with too many personnel guys who would relish the Jets GM job. I'm not buying recent reports nobody wants it.

5. gsulli5861

gsulli5861 New Member

Do we know what the Jags offer was? Maybe they offered another million in salary. To me this comes down to Caldwell not wanting to deal with New York. There is no expectation in Jacksonville. Have you looked at that roster? The Jet's have a lot of work to do but they have no one on that team

6. Realistic Jets Fan

so based on a "report" from Dickwad Cimini based solely on a "report" from Peter King, Jim Caldwell was the Jets first choice....

very reliable, but I'll give you a B+ for providing one questionable link to substantiate the Jets losing out on ALL their GUYS

now how about Telesco and Dorsey -- your other ALL THEIR GUYS guys...

able to search that web and find anything to support that one?

7. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

B4. What are your preferences and best options at this point? I kind of wonder why Tom Gable is not getting a second interview. Could it also be someone whose name is not coming up in most media reports? I'm hoping that whomever it is brings with him 4 things
    1- A strong knowledge of personnel talent
    2- a long term vision and winning mentally for this football team
    3-someone with enough on the ball to stand up to Rex when the situation demands it
    4- the wisdom to know you do not mortagage the future for near term goals

A bonus factor would be to forever remove Johnson from personnel decisions

8. Ben Had

Ben Had Active Member

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/jets_gm_search_nears_end_nrSv2HaSQ88FKGZGSuQXvN

9. ajax

ajax Well-Known Member

With all the drama behind the scenes and with the media, I'd love to read a book about this whole process a few years from now. This has been more exciting than what the Jets have been putting out on the field.

===
    As for GM candidates, how many years do you think Jets should put on contract for incoming GM? If it's three years, I'm seeing lots of candidates thinking twice because it'll take two years to flush away these bad contracts.

#649 ajax, Jan 14, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2013
  10. NotSatoshiNakamoto

11. Br4d

Cohen is still in the mix because he knows the Jets situation better than anybody else they are interviewing and because Woody already hired him once and so the comfort factor in making him the hire is greater than with outside candidates.

He's not a clear favorite because the Jets have a lot of issues to work out and having fresh eyes on them would really help in that process.

12. Br4d

I don't know who is still in the mix at this point aside from Scott Cohen. I'd prefer a hire from another strong organization to a guy from inside. The Jets have developed patterns and practices over the years with talent acquisition and contracts that I'd like to see get blown out of the building for good. No promotion from within is likely to accomplish that result.

13. NotSatoshiNakamoto

I'm starting to believe that my nightmare scenario of Cohen/Cameron has a very real chance of coming to fruition.

14. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Please No!!!!!
    lol, that would be like no change at all. might as well throw Sanchez in that mix, and this time next year Woody will be wondering why we only won 6 games again.

15. Br4d

6 games is a bit optimistic I think.

The cap casualties are going to remove two starting linebackers, one of the best safeties in the NFL last season, the RG who is in decline anyway, the LG who started the most games the last 3 seasons, the starting TE and the #1 RB.

I'd say the Jets are looking like 4-12 right now.

16. NotSatoshiNakamoto

I think we're going to suck next year regardless, unless we get real lucky and hit with a top QB prospect who "gets it" right away and some other offensive play makers. I'm just hoping to see the ship start to go the right direction next year.

17. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

thats all i can ask for too. i wouldnt even be concerned with wins and losses as long as we beat the dolphins twice and there is a foundation being built i will be happy. and that the team makes itself look a bit more professional instead of feeding into the garbage it has the past few years.

18. skeleton_frames

Yeah, yeah.

When do they get to meet the President?:rofl:

19. TheCoolerGlennFoley

TheCoolerGlennFoley Well-Known Member

20. BleednGreen247

most of those players are trash and will be upgraded regardless

we must keep landry though