Possible Strategy - Crazy like a Fox or Just Plain Crazy

Discussion in 'Draft' started by James Hasty, Mar 27, 2018.

1. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Let's say that the Jets have decided that this is the year to get a QB.

With that said, if we had to have a specific QB I don't see why we would have moved to pick # 3.

Let's also say that they have the top three or even four QBs rated almost evenly (no real preference) and moved up to three to insure that they get one of them (and don't really care which one).

Would it make any sense to trade the QB selected at # 3 (Let's say Rosen) for the third QB (Let's say Denver takes Allen at # 5) or fourth QB taken (Let's say the Bills moved up to # 10 and took Mayfield)?

An extra first rounder next year could be the left tackle or deep threat our new QB needs to succeed.

Thoughts?

2. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

We are drafting a QB at 3; time to put the notion that we are trading that pick or player to rest.

3. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

This is another example of a thread created because there is so much excitement that we are drafting a QB, too much time between now and the draft and not enough news to quench our thirst so we manufacture ridiculous scenarios that have zero chance of ever becoming reality.

While nothing is a 100% certain it is about as close to a certainty as one can get that we are drafting a QB with the third pick. Very little will change that no matter how imaginative one gets in dreaming up impossible scenarios.

It is also a certainty that no matter what QB we draft at 3 a very large part of this board will be very upset. But I bet come training camp everyone will be excited.

Br4d, CotcheryFan and NCJetsfan like this.
  4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Why on earth would the Jets do that? If they preferred one of the QBs enough to take him over another, why should they then turn around and trade that QB for the other? If they wanted that other QB, they could have just taken him instead of the one they actually took. For that matter what makes you think the other team would want to trade at that point, much less give up a future #1 to get the Jets to swap QBs?

Draft please hurry up and get here so we can stop seeing these inane "what if" scenarios!!!!

5. GreenGreek

GreenGreek Well-Known Member

I posted this in another thread earlier today..
    While we may have a preference for one or two QBs, it's safe to assume we have at least 3 QBs rated very highly, at least in comparison to recent drafts.

6. James Hasty

There is a large and vocal portion of the board that believes this but some of us are either not convinced or would be unhappy with such a turn of events.

With a month until the draft and several months until we see any more football I think it would be a welcome distraction to discuss possibilities that would help us become competitive sooner than simply giving up all of our picks to move up and take a shaky QB.

7. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

You don't give away 3 2nd round picks so that you can make a fool of yourself on draft night..they will only trade that pick if it is to move up and I can see them making a deal with the Giants (giving up our 1 next year) to make sure they get the QB they want. I don't think the Giants will take a QB anyway so it's a gift for them.

8. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

My thoughts are that this has a 0% chance of happening.

9. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

Why would the Jets draft a potential franchise QB only to trade him right away? If they wanted Mayfield or somebody lower ranked, they could have stayed at the 6.

10. James Hasty

It is about control.

By moving up to # 3 the Jets don't risk all four QBs going off before their selection at # 6.

Someone else will want whoever the Jets take.

The Jets have the luxury of waiting until the fourth QB is taken to see if there is an opportunity to get some picks back while still getting one of the big three or four QBs.

11. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

The only way I could see a trade scenario is if Mac truly has 3 QBs rated equally and both the Browns and Giants draft non QBs at 1 and 2. ( Barkley and Chubb) that could allow a trade back to 4 with the Browns, or to 5 with Denver, still allowing Mac to pick who he wanted at 3 while adding more draft capital then he surrendered to move up.
    I just don't see it happening though. I'm confident that Mac will be drafting a QB at 3.

12. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

I'm leaning very much towards QBs not being the 1st 3 picks. I think the giants will take chubb or barkley, and I also can't rule out Cleveland just taking barkely at 1, and still grabbing a QB at 4. If they took barkely, there is a good chance the giants still take chubb, meaning if the jets take darnold, they still get their choice of rosen or allen. plus barkley. Where if they take darnold 1st overall, the giants could take barkely from them which may be fine depending how much they love nelson or chubb.

This draft is really an "anything can happen" in the top 5 type of draft.

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  13. GreenGreek

GreenGreek Well-Known Member

If we traded up to #3, and all 3 QBs are available when our pick is up, Mac will win executive of the year.

FJF likes this.
  14. TonyFtLaud

Barring any more pre draft day trades , the first round is going to be very entertaining. The "experts" wrote their checks way to early last year and are trying like hell to cover their asses , I have been saying this QB class has been over hyped. There's lots of talent, but not 1 sure fire can't miss guy. They can all easily bust, or become a FQB.

FJF and GasedAndConfused like this.
  15. TonyFtLaud

Again. Lol.
    Look where that got us last time......
    Honestly don't think the trade up would put him past Les Snead or Dorsey (even with Dorsey playing on Brown's dime.) . Both have had a tremendous off season.

16. GasedAndConfused

I'd say darnold has the least possibility of being a bust out of any QB since luck, but after him, I agree it's all a toss up. if you look at how they grade out, the last time a QB graded as high or higher then darnold was luck. He's the best QB prospect to enter the draft since 2012. it's why I have a hard time thinking cleveland would pass on him

17. TonyFtLaud

I'm just not sold on Darnold. Again he has potential but needs alot of work. He may be the most over hyped of all the prospects. Look at his pro day. He missed on quite a few throws , more than any of the other prospects, it rained for the last 15-20 throws but the trainers kept the balls dry, even bringing in different balls. Yet the storyline was how impressive he was, in the rain, with wet, ( wet and heavy) footballs.
    Again, not saying he won't be successful, but won't be surprised if he's not.

18. GasedAndConfused

They dry off balls in the NFL and keep them dry too, but the rain still affects them. Putting too much stock in the combine/pro days, is what leads to guys like vernon gholston getting drafted 6th overall.

19. TonyFtLaud

My point was the hype surrounding him. The experts that proclaimed him the best QB ever last off season appear to be trying to cover for their way to early proclamations.
    I agree about the combine/ pro days. Some guys rise and fall due to measureables that are irrelevant.
    The one thing you can't gauge in shorts and t shirt, is unfortunately the most important. Mental make-up.

GasedAndConfused likes this.
  20. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Fun scenario.

I think they’d be too emotionally wasted to make a subsequent move like this on draft night.

I’m also not buying they have 3 QBs rated the same on their board. I think the Jets traded up to get a QB that’s projected to go lower so we effectively traded up to #1 because no one higher will take said player.