POSSIBLE Snowstorm Sunday

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by jaywayne12, Dec 16, 2009.

1. GeshJet

GeshJet Active Member

Hey GreenHornet-weather guy. Am I going to be able to drive there from DC or am I screwed? I'm supposed to leave Saturday early afternoon and stay at a hotel near the stadium Saturday night with my son. I spent a ton on great seats and paid for the room. I'll be an unhappy camper if I have to miss this for snow. Give me some good news.

2. pats-hater

pats-hater Active Member

Lol. U will be on 95 which means plows and salting big time. You'll make it. We already have 13 inches of snow this year (still on the ground) and we should get slammed Saturday again. I'll be taking back roads through Western Mass and NY state.

I'll be there with my son as always and I expect you to do the same. We need screaming fans in their seats not at home whining about the itty bitty snow storm.

3. Chrisp22

Chrisp22 Active Member

Hardcore weather fans huh? Hope you put Sam Champion to shame.

4. jasperk99

jasperk99 New Member

delete

#84 jasperk99, Dec 17, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2015
  5. jaywayne12

jaywayne12 Well-Known Member

Incredible. I cant believe it. Updated 0z nam shot out the same numbers..in fact...new jersey numbers somehow climbed? I hear what you are saying about the nam...they do tend to overdue qpf numbers with a warm bias but it did nail the December 5th ministorm before any other model did. Thats what has caught my eye...and the GFS is out to lunch.

You are correct...tomorrow will be a huge day to lock down a track. Actually...the EURO comes out at 130 tonite...and if thats a hit, back to back....I would cash the chips in that this thing is going to happen.

I hear what you are saying about the NAO...one met on Eastern was concerned all week about the PV...and how this storm is splitting the Polar V? I get a little lost with that...but he said that concern...his last concern...is no longer...so potential blizzard..here we come.

Now...Jet related...I dont know. I cant see...if these models are correct...I cant see how in the world the Raven game or the Jet game will be played..if...IF this were to happen. State of Emergency up and down 95? I know many will think Im way out there with that one....but....its happened before.

6. jaywayne12

Im sure GH will answer you later too. Thats tough timing my friend. There are many theories on starting times...but right around the time you are leaving is the time it should be getting going down there. So you will be racing either ahead...with...or in the middle of a storm..and that cant be nailed down probably till the morning of Saturday.

As far as the tickets go...see my above post.

Listen..this is weather stuff..and weather stuff doesnt always go the way models say it will. 99% of the time..when storms hit..NFL games are played. Just that these models are projecting 16-24 inches of snow with winds gusting around 40.

Can it end up being a 8 inch storm? Sure. If I were you...I would just keep in touch with your local weather on starting times..then leave accordingly.

7. jaywayne12

My family stills busts my balls all the time....friends too. Screw them...weather...especially events like this..are incredible to track.

Ok...Here is a site I started to follow years ago. My advise is this..go there..sign up...and shut the f up and listen. A bunch of weather nerds..wannabees..and some pro mets discussing models and upcoming storms. You will love it. You will notice novices like you and me occasionally piping in with their 2 cents. They will be ignored or nicely shunned aside...lol...

http://forums.accuweather.com/

Choose the area...USA...then choose the storm they are following..this is the Dec 19th/20th storm. Its very slow right now...too many nerds. Good luck..and say goodbye to your family and friends.

8. jaywayne12

Still uncertainty...but its locking in more and more...oh..and MODS...if you want to move this thread..your call. I only put it here because it will have a lot to do with the Jet game regardless.

A STRONG COASTAL LOW PRESSURE SYSTEM IS DEVELOPING OVER THE
    NORTHWEST GULF OF MEXICO. THIS STORM SYSTEM IS FORECAST TO TRACK
    TO THE NORTHEAST NEAR CAPE HATERRAS ON SATURDAY...AND THEN MOVE TO THE
    NORTHEAST. THE LATEST FORECAST SUGGESTS THAT THE TRACK OF THIS
    STORM IS MOVING FURTHER TO THE WEST AND CLOSER TO THE FORECAST
    AREA. THERE IS AN INCREASED PROBABILITY OF MEASURABLE SNOW OVER
    LONG ISLAND...SOUTHERN CONNECTICUT AND THE NEW YORK CITY
    METROPOLITAN AREA LATER IN THE DAY ON SATURDAY LASTING INTO
    SUNDAY.

THERE IS STILL UNCERTAINTY REGARDING THE EXACT STORM TRACK WHICH
    WILL HAVE A LARGE IMPACT ON THE EVENTUAL OUTCOME OF THE STORM.
    SMALL DEVIATIONS IN STORM TRACK CAN LEAD TO SIGNIFICANT
    DIFFERENCES IN FORECAST SNOWFALL. IF THE CERTAINTY FOR A
    SIGNIFICANT SNOWFALL ACCUMULATION INCREASES... WINTER STORM
    WATCHES MAY BECOME NECESSARY.

SOURCE:http://forecast.weather.gov/showsig...1=Wayne+NJ&product1=Hazardous+Weather+Outlook

#88 jaywayne12, Dec 17, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2009
  9. BadgerOnLSD

BadgerOnLSD Banned

I doubt they'll move it, it's very relevant to the game.

10. jaywayne12

Im not going to bore all of you...but GH will know what Im talking about. You have about 6 major models that predict storms. 5 are on board, in different strengths. One is not. The one model is called the GFS model (a USA model..sorry to say).

At 1am tonite..the Euro model (European..duh) comes out. It only comes out twice a day. If that model shows what the other 4 models have already shown (it already showed a mega storm earlier today and it one of the top respected models)....there is a 80% chance that this would be a historical snowstorm. Regardless..there will be a snowstorm if it shows it.

If that happens..and I will post it in about one hour..tomorrow when you wake up from baltimore to boston..you will be hearing about a major major snowstorm. The timing is all over the place. Some say it will start Saturday morning and end Saturday night/Sunday morning. Some say later Saturday...and would end well after the Jet game/Ravens game start.

I will try to have both info for you.

Oh and Badge..I agree..it is very relevant to the game on Sunday.

Oh..and one more thing for snowhaters..sorry to say. We are entering a pattern that hasnt been seen around here in years.

On future models its showing a mega storm around Christmas..and a huge storm 4 days after that.

#90 jaywayne12, Dec 18, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2009
  11. jaywayne12

12. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

fuck.

I love snow but I don't need a blizzard after Xmas. Many, many plans will be canceled.

Are we talking multiple feet of snow? 2-4 ft?

13. jaywayne12

Tough to say ND. They have been predicting this Christmas snowstorm for two weeks but then this weekend surprise..you never know. 2/4 feet? I doubt it. Too far off.

Update on that model I was talking about. It says no to a major storm this weekend...just a good old fashion little snowstorm.

So its 4 models that say yes...2 say no to a major storm. Will have more info tomorrow.

14. MarionBarber31

MarionBarber31 New Member

oh no, you've created a monster! I feel like I just took a first hit of crack or something. That forum site is addictive! Thanks (I think)

5:30 AM...I gotta get some sleep before work!

15. DaftGreen

DaftGreen Member

Sunday should be a real shit show. Nothing like snow on Sunday to add to the long haul from Eastern LI.

16. 17a_tailgater

17a_tailgater Active Member

shit i have to drive from staten island. my usual 24 minute ride could be like 35!!!!!!!!!
    man i better prepare

17. GreenHornet

GreenHornet New Member

The storm will hit you first and be potentially more significant down your way. Your best chance will be to leave tonight. Once you get to the NY area and find any kind of hotel, I think you will be OK. There is still a bit of uncertainty as to how much snow we will get in the NYC area. I do feel pretty comfortable saying we will get close to 4-6 inches, but due to some of the complexity of the storm and the exact track the totals could go much higher or down a bit. I don't mean to be non-specific, but right at this moment it is somewhat difficult to come up with an exact figure on snow fall amounts. I will know much more later today.

I think your main plan should be get out of DC ASAP and come north; if you wait until Saturday to leave the drive will be miserable and I highly recommend that if you do that you use a 4 wheel drive vehicle with good tires.

#97 GreenHornet, Dec 18, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2009
  18. DeathByJets

DeathByJets Well-Known Member

I live in the DC area too. Seems to me that if you can get out of DC early Friday evening and stay somewhere cheap in NJ, you will be better off. Saturday is going to be an absolute mess heading north. If you absolutely can't leave until Saturday, get up early and get out of the area before the worst hits DC (12pm-2PM). I've driven to NY during a nor'eatser (in '95 or '96) and it was NOT fun. Good luck.

19. GeshJet

GeshJet Active Member

Thanks everyone. If anyone can update me by the end of the workday it would be much appreciated. I may try to go tonight. My son has a high school swim meet that ends at 10:00 or so, and I'd need to go after that.

20. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

some of those folks on the accuweather.com forums are as bipolar as we are.....

jil