Possible Roster of Offense w/Watson vs Without

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by ZachMFWilson, Feb 5, 2021.

1. ZachMFWilson

ZachMFWilson Active Member

The new head coach has shown he can get the most defensively out of back up quality players. For this exercise let’s say Joe goes hard on the offensive side of the ball.

In both scenarios we sign a couple proven free agents.

1. We trade Darnold, both this year’s 1sts and our 3rd for Watson

QB Watson (T)
    WR1Robinson (FA)
    WR2 Mimms
    WR3 Crowder
    RT Fant, Edoga
    RG Van Roten, Clark
    C McGovern
    LG Thuney (FA), Clark
    LT Becton, Edoga
    RB Perine, Johnson, Adams
    TE Herndon, Griffin

2. We don’t get a good value to trade down so we stay at #2 and draft the best OL in football. We also have an extra $10mm in capspace so we get the top TE available trying to copy the 49ers offense.

QB Darnold
    WR1Robinson (FA)
    WR2 Mimms
    WR3 Crowder
    RT Fant, Sewell
    RG Sewell (2), Van Roten
    C McGovern
    LG Thuney (FA), Van Roten
    LT Becton, Sewell
    RB Etienne (23rd), Gainwell/Felton (66), Perine,
    TE Herndon, Henry (FA)

One scenario gives us the strongest and deepest OL in the league, a RB room better than 49ers, and a qb no worse than the one who took the 49ers to the Super Bowl. Worst case, we get Rodgers next year.

The other scenario keeps us mediocre.

I’m passing on Watson and relying on the talent we’ve brought in to run the team.

boozer32, azhar80, SOJAZ and 2 others like this.
  2. chad2coles

chad2coles Well-Known Member

interesting take. Darnold has done nothing to lead me to believe he could put up the numbers Garoppolo did in ‘19.

I haven’t see anyone suggest Sewell should play guard and don’t see why George Fant would push him to the inside. I also don’t think you can say he would give the Jets the strongest o-line in football.

the offense with Watson is clearly better.

Worst case scenario we can just get Aaron Rodgers? What?

3. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

What about the scenario where we draft a QB?

4. ZachMFWilson

Garoppolo is a disappointment and the 49ers are looking to move in from him. Point is, the style offense is very qb friendly especially when you protect him and have a strong run game

Lance Zerlein did recently having Sewell go at 10. I’d love a trade back and get an extra 2nd or a 1st next year and draft Rashawn Slater at 10ish but I’m not going to let lack of “value” to change the winning plan.

Sewell has more flexibility. You want as much talent on the field at one time. If our LT, LG, and RG are all top 5 and our C and RT are top 10... while our back up RT is top 5 and backup RG top 10 we would have the best and deepest OL for sure. Who would you say is better?

Rumor has it Rodgers is out after the 2021 season so if Darnold can’t make the most of the team built for him, we can give up 3 first rounders for Rodgers next year.

azhar80 likes this.
  5. ZachMFWilson

That’s a different thread

6. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

7. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

We are too busy drafting two RB's to care about that position :D

#7 K'OB, Feb 5, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2021
    J-Raw24 and HomeoftheJets like this.
  8. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

You would have to take Robinson off and switch it with Godwin or someone else. He's not going from Bortles, Trubiski to Darnold or a rookie. No chance. Also you lose either Becton or Sewell after their rookie deal, neither will take RT $.
    Also spending three first round picks on Rodgers next year would make 0 sense on the brink of retirement.

9. ZachMFWilson

Expensive T on a rookie deal was Dolphins/Tunsil problem a few years ago. A good GM would never see a problem with having too much talent.

The Rogers comment was me flippantly saying “there are a lot of QB options both now and in the near future”

10. nyjetsgreen

nyjetsgreen Active Member

I agree this whole Watson trade would set this team backwards Jets have holes everywhere those 3 first rounders a 3rd rounder are needed serious stock this team with some elite talent. How many games did Watson win this year with a stripped team? Imagine what happens if the Jets trade the house for this guy. Within 2 years Watson will demand a trade out of NY fans will be screaming to fire Douglas for making the trade. No QB is worth that trade price unless his name is Brady, mahomes or Roger's Watson is good but he isnt to that level. Fans are so desperate for a answer at QB that Watson has been hyped into some legend that has won nothing. Fans need to look at reality realize the Jets are devoid of any real talent only option is Darnold, Fields, or Wilson. Also Red flag on Watson is his attitude any player who demands a say in how the organization is run when he is getting 150 million any fan should be wary.

11. ZachMFWilson

Maybe, maybe not - Name one better

Did you just draft 2 running backs?!
    - I did, I’m doing rosters where the only difference is the Watson trade so offensive players are going to be drafted with the capital not being used

Garoppolo is a game manager, Darnold hasn't shown enough consistency to even be that
    Even in New England, Garoppolo has always been behind a solid OL

That's really the worst case you can think of? The worst I can think of is trading away our draft capital and minimizing the potential of a top OL.

We aren't winning anything with Darnold. We always make the big flashy move in the off-season and we always end up worse off from it. Maybe we try something new?

azhar80 likes this.
  12. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Sewell isn't playing guard. So throw that one right out the window. And you're also not drafting him that high to do so.

Garoppolo sucks. So if that's what we're hoping Sam turns into then we can move on very easily.

TWO draft picks on runningbacks in a system that made Jeff Wilson look like a Pro Bowler dude?

PJ4Ever, FJF, J-Raw24 and 2 others like this.
  13. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Worst case scenario is the Jets get Aaron Rodgers next year? I knew things were looking up for the franchise, but apparently it is going to be amazing! :cool:

14. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

PFF had the Jets as the 29th ranked OL; adding Sewell isn't going to make us number 1. https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-final-2020-offensive-line-rankings

At least draft a receiver instead of another running back.

Not saying Darnold can't reach Garoppolo's level, but he has to show he can complete passes consistently, which he's struggled to do even from a clean pocket.

The offensive line is important, but it isn't as important as the quarterback.

Getting a good QB would be trying something new.

JetsNation06 and Jonathan_Vilma like this.
  15. Jonathan_Vilma

Thuney also won't be a target for this FO and coaching staff. He's a man to man mauler and 29 at the start of the season.

Most Patriots offensive lineman that leave end up sucking too because they aren't coached well enough to continue to hold and get away with it away from Scarnecchia. Nate Solder, Logan Mankins, Ted Karras, etc. Trent Brown is the only one whose been OK and he can't stay healthy.

J-Raw24 likes this.
  16. ZachMFWilson

I added Sewell and Thuney. That’s 40%. A pretty significant number. Plus, with Sewell’s versatility (he’s played guard before for its not complicated) with the 4/6 games a year Becton or Fant are injured Sewell kicks out and Van Roten or Clack come off the bench and play Guard. With a 17 game season, depth is important.

Getting a QB so good, people were saying we should suck for him?

17. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

I agree to pass on Watson, but I want us to trade down twice in round 1. Atlanta and SF both want to trade with us and both want QBs. Trade down to 4 and then 12, draft at 12 and keep 23. With the trade downs pick up at least two more second round choices this year and a couple more firsts for next year. Other teams WILL pay for QBs. Yes, I know, this is unlikely but is what I would attempt were I Douglas.

ZachMFWilson likes this.
  18. ZachMFWilson

Wasn’t Thuney targeted last season? Isn’t that why The Patriots tagged him? The internet says yes. I’m OK with Schriff, Thuney is just the obvious choice... bc we’ve already reportedly targeted him.

chad2coles likes this.
  19. Jonathan_Vilma

He played 20 games at tackle in college. Zero at guard. He played tackle in high school.

Can he play guard? Yeah probably. But it's a lie to say he has (unless he did maybe as a sophomore in high school?).

Either way - it's a massive waste of talent to slot him in at guard and likely not a good fit anyways. He will play tackle for whomever drafts him.

chandler and HomeoftheJets like this.
  20. ZachMFWilson

This would be Ideal but if there are 3/4 top QBs available is someone trading a future 1st to go from 4 to 1?

If the Jets don’t want a QB then picks 2, 3, 5, 6, and 7 aren’t in the market for a QB. Idt 4 would trade up and idk if we’d be willing to go back to 8-9-10 for just a future 1st.