Possible Revis spots

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BamaDoc, Jan 24, 2013.

1. RAMBO

RAMBO Member

New coach and management and there is no QB of the future this year but there will be next year and there is no true #1 this year in the draft

2. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

I agree with you in general.

I'm not saying give him away for free. We're still talking a top 40 player.

I'm just saying, that if you are going to move him, destination should be someplace he won't like.....as long as we get compensated.

Out of Conference isn't necessary. I wouldn't ship him to the Giants for the mike Ditka package.

The post article mentioned the Chiefs...for the first overall.

If that were possible, Idzik probably will have a sock that can stand up by itself, by draft day.

My point is...if its a position or two....and you get a little payback....you take it.

I'm not saying sacrificing real value.

3. Hobbes3259

Asses.seats.

Same reason we have Tebow.

4. bigbucks24

bigbucks24 Active Member

Don't see any way that this happens. If they don't get their QB this year and plan on sucking for Johnny football (or whoever), I think they gamble that DR is a free agent and they can sign him for no compensation (to another team). If they lose out, it;s not like they were one player away from contending. I would bet a LOT of money that DR is not going to the Chefs for the #1 pick.

5. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Maybe it's the scent of all of the sweat on your palms from that Lennay phone-sex call you had last night.

6. Hobbes3259

Which is odd, because I post from being on the lanai. Smells like fish out here.

7. abyzmul

While the first overall from a terrible team may be tempting, this year is a bad year to have the first overall pick.

If you can get a solid player and a combination of good picks, not just the first overall, it saves you to painful negotiation that trading down creates, gives you a player that fills a hole, and makes your draft situation much more flexible.

First overall pick tends more to be a curse than a blessing. Better to stock the cabinets with cans than to fill your entire fridge with the biggest turkey ever.

8. Hobbes3259

I agree. I was just pointing out the article and the dumb luck.

I personally, without a need at RB,QB, or DL( maybe) don't think you find value above 10.

The smart move, is almost always to trade down.

#228 Hobbes3259, Jan 26, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2013
  9. Hobbes3259

It's interesting to note that Belli likes to pick in the 20s.

10. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

Isn't that because they win so they rarely if ever under Brady pick outside the top 20?

11. The Uniform Bomber

The Uniform Bomber Spivey's Agent

Revis for Chris Ivory/Saints #2/Saints #4/Saints 2014 #1

I'm not sure about the Saints' salary cap, but if they have room for Revis, I think they'd be a team that's desperately looking to improve their Defense. And when you have an elite Qb, you can afford to trade picks because the negative consequences that might occurr tend to be minimized by the Qb (in this case, Brees) carrying the team.

It also moves Revis out of Conference where he can't come back to bite us in the ass.

12. SyracuseJet

SyracuseJet Well-Known Member

I like it, but I don't think the Saints can afford almost $40 mil a year in a QB and CB.

13. Hobbes3259

He routinely trades down, even when they win.

On e you remove the spin and hype....you are far more likely to get value.

Which was Byzs point, about the cans and turkey. Snark sounds nice...but...

14. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

n.o. is 18 mil over the cap right now. not sure what they have for easy cuts to get under,but first look would say they won't be a player in the revis sweepstakes

15. HAYN

HAYN Well-Known Member

Awwww did that rustle your jimmies? Can't handle truth? Your favorite player going to the worst enemy? Gonna Ms. Piggy cry and ask Kermit why oh why?

16. Hobbes3259

Roniaha that's not very nice.

I gues the real question, is.....

Do you only play a whore on the phone....or in the dark of a motel room too?

#236 Hobbes3259, Jan 26, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2013
  17. abyzmul

Hey there, typical illiterate Hawaiian retard. Maybe you missed like 80% of the content in the Revis threads, but I have been an advocate of a Revis trade.

Maybe you were just trying to get me back for insulting your gay HAYN HOMEBOY hero after he fagged it up on national television.

Prediction: Tebow and Te'o are married within the year.

18. HAYN

HAYN Well-Known Member

Hobbes and abyzmul is as interracial couple as you're ever gonna see folks.

19. AlToon

AlToon Member

ESPN Insider looked at some teams

Tampa Bay Buccaneers

The Bucs are certainly not afraid to make a big splash with veteran signings, as they spent a lot of money to bring in guard Carl Nicks, WR Vincent Jackson and CB Eric Wright last offseason. Despite the big moves, they're still in good shape, with $31.3 million of cap space going into 2013. They've drafted some cornerstone defensive players in recent years in DT Gerald McCoy, LB Lavonte David and SS Mark Barron. A veteran presence like Revis could be a perfect addition for a cornerback corps that was saddled with injuries and ineffectiveness in 2012. This would likely mean an end to the Eric Wright Era, but it would ensure that they don't go into a season resting their hopes of slowing down Marques Colston, Roddy White and Julio Jones with E.J. Biggers and Leonard Johnson.

Atlanta Falcons

Another NFC South team that is not afraid to make bold moves, the Falcons traded a plethora of draft picks just to select WR Julio Jones in 2011. They were mere minutes from reaching the Super Bowl and may feel that the pieces are in place to take the next step.

The caveat here is the dangerous thought process that a team is "one player away" from a championship, which is rarely the case in the NFL. There is too much attrition during an NFL season to put so much stock in one player, and the Falcons' lack of draft picks due to the Jones trade puts them in a difficult position with regard to roster depth in the near future. Still, the aggressive front office may see a closing window of opportunity and the addition of Revis could mask some of the pass rush issues they're facing up front.

They currently have Asante Samuel entrenched on one side and despite his tackling woes (missed one of every 2.7 attempts), he's been strong in coverage, allowing a reception every 11.5 cover snaps, good for 19th in the league. On the other side is Dunta Robinson who allowed 1.55 Yards/Cover Snap, ninth worst out of the top 77 qualifying cornerbacks. With only $4.9 million of cap space, releasing Robinson would wipe his $8 million contract off the books to make room for Revis.

Indianapolis Colts

The Colts have a number of holes on their roster, particularly on the defensive side of the ball, and they have the cap room to do something about it. They enter the offseason $46 million under the limit, so a long-term deal with Revis is well within reach. The Colts spent nearly all of their 2012 draft picks on the offensive side, and while they built a strong nucleus around rookie QB Andrew Luck, now the defense needs a lot of attention. Bringing in Revis would allow them to allocate their resources toward must-needed upgrades to the front seven and ensure they can do something they weren't able to do this year: Shut down a team's wideouts. Cassius Vaughn, who was beaten for 40 combined first downs and touchdowns, needs to be upgraded.

Others to consider
    Houston Texans
    Cap space is tight in Houston, as they only have $12.9 million with which to work, but they currently use Johnathan Joseph to track opposing teams' top wide receivers, and he struggled at times throughout an injury-laden 2012. If they can find the necessary money, adding Revis to a cornerback corps that includes Joseph and an emerging Kareem Jackson would go a long way toward masking a pass rush that is too dependent on Watt's pressure up front.

Cleveland Browns
    The Browns already have one of the league's best young cornerbacks in Joe Haden. Adding Revis would make for a nightmare for opposing offenses. They have $46.1 million in cap space and a young roster that would benefit greatly from Revis' veteran presence and production. But would Revis want to go to a team that seems a long way from being a contender? Money talks.

Cincinnati Bengals
    Another team with the means to make the move, the Bengals got excellent production out of their cornerbacks last season. But with Adam Jones and Terence Newman slated for free agency, change is in the air. Leon Hall is a talent, and they'll want to see what they can get out of Dre Kirkpatrick, but in the modern game you really need three talented cornerbacks. Still, the Bengals have to think about long-term deals for Andre Smith and Geno Atkins, and that may take precedence over what a position of "want" and not "need."

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8880207/nfl-best-trade-fits-darrelle-revis

Idzik worked with Mark Dominik and Rich McKay in TB. McKay is president and CEO of the Falcons. Adam Schein and Chris Carlin were discussing TB being interested in Revi$. Carlin knows Schiano very well from Rutgers. Apparently Schiano really likes Revi$.

Denver is probably like Atlanta. Looking for that one move which pushes them over the top. Manning was really good in 2012 and they blew the Raven game. How more chances will Peyton and the Broncos have to win a Super Bowl? How many years will Manning play at a really high level? Denver has $18.5M in cap space including $7M from 2012.

20. Hobbes3259

We could never be a couple. His wit is too ascerbic, and I'm too violent. He'd be more of a battered housewife, than you are....