Possible 53-Man Roster for 2021

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by joelip, May 4, 2021.

1. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Couldn't agree more. I think the last 2 years on the couch totally healed in internal muscle pulls he had surgery to correct.

So there's a chance he'll be cut after June 1? That sucks. But one advantage to drafting a rookie QB is we have 20-30 more cap/yr to pay guys like Mosely. Those cap $'s you listed aren't all that bad considering other top LBers are getting in the 20's anymore. How is/was his pass-rushing skills???

2. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

I hope you all are right. I can't get past the feeling that this guy is going to show up fat and indifferent, and the Jets are going to pay him all the monies so he can sit on his couch.

3. Footballgod214

Exactly! Picking in the top of every round would allow JD to wheel and deal like never before. We could have our 11 picks in 2022 plus 3 or 4 more high picks in 2023. We don't need no vet QB2 coming in here and messing it all up!

4. Footballgod214

I guess it comes down to personality, dedication, and determination. We don't really know Mosely all that well, but from what he was before, he will probably show up in top shape, ready to dominate.

This is why JD loves drafting high character guys that live and breath football. Hopefully that will rub off on Mosely!

joelip likes this.
  5. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

I’ll do a post on him

6. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

yeah if we cut him this year he'll have a 27.9 mil dead cap. he only counts 7.5 mil so we lose over 20 million to cut him
    if we cut him in 2022 he'll have 20.5 mil dead cap and he counts 17.5 so we'll lose 3 mil plus him.
    if we cut him in 2023 he'll have dead cap of 3 mil and he counts 18.5 mil so we'll save 15 mil. most likely we cut him in 2023

NCJetsfan and Footballgod214 like this.
  7. GasedAndConfused

we have enough picks in the 1st 2 rounds to get a TE, OT or OG, an Edge, and a CB. then use the 3rd and later picks on WR, RB, IOL, and whatever else

8. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

If we have a high pick in 2023 without trading up, something went terribly wrong.

Footballgod214 likes this.
  9. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

What’s with all the Mosley bashing?

1. He was known coming out as a high character, high IQ, football loving player

2. He was drafted in 2014 by the Ravens who are known for drafting well.

3. Joe Douglas was with the Ravens in 2014.

4. His cap hit is tolerable this year but explodes next year. Next year the cap will be going up due to attendance if nothing else.

He only played 2 games in 2019 but I remember the beast he was on the field. If he doesn’t get injured, we win that season opener vs. Buffalo. The man is a difference maker.

10. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

The question is how much have his skills eroded after missing most of the last two seasons.

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  11. KingRoach

I could be wrong but I suspect a football loving high iq professional athlete who has been elite for over a decade (elite HS player, elite college, elite in Baltimore) has been staying in shape during his downtime. The best are the best for a reason.

Michael Jordan retired for 2 years and while he wasn’t himself at first, he was still a beast and returned to greatness before too long.

Maybe Mosley has a slow start to the 2021 season but o have no doubt he’ll return to his form by the end of the season.

Then again, I’m the same idiot who thinks we’ll be in the playoff hunt this year and a lock for the playoffs next year.

NCJetsfan, NYGANGGREEN and joelip like this.
  12. joelip

joelip Well-Known Member

Haven't seen many Ravens games over the years, but Mosley's stats suggest that they sent him on the blitz more in his first two years (7 sacks, 21 QB hits total for 2014 & 2015) than in his last three years in Baltimore (1.5 sacks, 11 QB hits for 2016 through 2018). Interestingly, his interceptions went up from 2 for 2014-15 to 7 for 2016-18. Maybe they dropped him more into coverage?

Footballgod214 likes this.
  13. TwoHeadedMonster

Not hating. Just not very hopeful.

Once upon a time, before my Army career, I was a professional athlete (not football), and I can tell you that even elite athletes who are hyper competitive and know how to train can fall off a cliff fast if they get out of a very precise groove. Two years is an extremely long time in that environment.

NCJetsfan and Jonathan_Vilma like this.
  14. KingRoach

I can appreciate Jets fans have had hopefulness beaten out of them over the years.

Athlete’s these days know they are making generational wealth and the best of them do whatever they can to maintain their bodies 12 months out of the year Bc its their bread and butter.

Back in your day it was probably hard to train 12 mo a year while also working the part time job needed to pay the bills.

That’s probably why you resorted to rigging the World Series. :rolleyes:

NCJetsfan and NYGANGGREEN like this.
  15. TwoHeadedMonster

Probably. :cool:

KingRoach likes this.
  16. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

So many questions.

You're also describing the competitive GOAT of any sport except now maybe Brady.

It's not a lack of desire or competitive edge. It's the human body struggling to adapt back to the physical rigors or the sport.

He wasn't a fast guy to begin with either.

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  17. GasedAndConfused

we signed him to a huge deal to lead our 3-4 defense.
    1st year he got hurt game 1 and missed the whole season. it sucked, not his fault, shit happens
    2nd year he opted out. that's the part that really sucked. now with that we have paid him a total of 29 million dollars for 2 total quarters of football. that's insane. i'm upset at his opt out choice

now we have a new coach and a new 4-3 defense which he's never played in and may not fit it. and yes he is cheap is 2021, he'll cost a ton in 2022 (17.5 mil) and is uncut-able due to the way the contract is structured.
    It really feels like he took the money and ran

18. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

Mac’s parting gift ?

19. KingRoach

I never understand people who complain about how much an athlete is getting paid; like it comes directly out of your pocket.

I love that he opted out last year. We needed a trash year to purge Gase. Bc he opted out, his contract was in essence put on pause freeing up cap money both last year and this.

I’d rather have an extra year with Mosley under Salah that under Gase any day.

NCJetsfan and Footballgod214 like this.
  20. GasedAndConfused

it's nto about what he's getting paid, it's the fact he's getting paid to help the team but hasn't. that money could have went to players who suited up instead and played hard for us. it's a bad look when you are a prized free agent getting paid top dollar to be a leader and you bail out on your team and get paid to sit home
    mac had a knack for really bad free agent contracts. i'd have to say at this point tru, bell, and cj are 3 of the worst top 5 ever contracts given in free agency. alber haynesworth one is up there too and probably brock oswiler. those are the worst 5 all time I can think of

LAJet and mrjet80 like this.