Possibility of Drafting Kirkpatrick and Moving Him to Safety?

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Fatman&Robin, Mar 18, 2012.

1. Fatman&Robin

Fatman&Robin Member

Title says it all. With Nelson choosing Cincy over us (who'd blame him), we're getting a bit desperate for a FS.

I know some analysts were saying he'd be more suited to FS than CB in the NFL, but that has died down. What are the opinions of some of the draftniks in here (especially Maguilla)? Possibly trading back and picking him up now that his stock dropped a little from the combine?

#1 Fatman&Robin, Mar 18, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2012
  2. duncc5

duncc5 Member

Dre has awesome run stopping ability for a corner, but I think he's too lanky to be a full time safety. Not that he would shy away from contact, I just don't think his body could take the beating of being in the box/covering TEs regularly. This is an interesting scenario though; I've seen a lot of scouting reports come out recently that have suggested that he might be better suited for FS in the long run. Like I said, I'm just not too sure if he has the frame to play there right away.

#2 duncc5, Mar 18, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2012
  3. BamaZeus

BamaZeus Member

I think Dre could make it as a FS, but he would be a better corner at this point in his career. Dre is good at stopping the run, and is a hard hitter, but he has a habit of trying for video game-style hits instead of just wrapping up. He can wrap up when he wants to, but he has a bit of "flair" shall we say, and if he's not careful, he'll just bounce off a WR on one of his big hits and watch the WR run 50 yards past him for a TD.

4. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

Not a fan of drafting a safety @ 16 overall in a weak safety draft.

If were going safety early I want us to trade down in the first, then grab one up after that.

5. JetsNation

JetsNation New Member

Scouts said his situation would be similar to Antrel Rolle, if so I'd be okay with that

6. PolygamyWinsChampionships

PolygamyWinsChampionships Well-Known Member

I'd be curious to hear a more technical breakdown of his prospects as a FS as well.

For what it's worth, he looks like he plays some very smooth coverage to my eye. Usually staying in good position and seems to have a real nose for the ball where he's always going to be in a dogfight to at least break it up or even intercept when the quarterback throws his way. He clearly seems to have the natural prowess to uphold his coverage duties as a FS. Is he a sure enough tackler? Can he handle the extra physical play that covering TE's regularly is going to throw on him?

If the scouting department thinks he's a great fit as a transitional candidate I don't think I would hate the move of trading back and hoping he's there. Again if he isn't you're sure to get an LB you're happy with in that area. You'd also get an extra pick which should probably be used as trade up ammunition for either the 2nd or 3rd round pick to get an extra impact player through the draft.

7. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

I dont know much about Kirkpatrick as I havent looked at any of the CBs but why not just draft Barron if looking to get a safety in the first round?

8. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

I hope we stay put @ 16 and grab a good OLB prospect

9. hazmat

hazmat New Member

As much as it's nice to upgrade the safety position, I don't see any player in the first round that's really worth the 16th pick. Barron is more of an the box player then a deep center fielder.

If the Jets feel he can line up against Gronk/Hernandez and cover them it might be worth the pick but realistically the way you stop those guys is with a real pass rush.

10. LoyalJetsFan

LoyalJetsFan New Member

If Rex and Tanny did this, I would fucking vomit all over the Giants fans wherever I am watching the draft.

We need a fucking OLB that can put some kind of pressure on opposing QB's.

11. CodeGreen

CodeGreen Active Member

I mean...its possible.

The problem I have is that if your going to take a safety that early he better be able to have good ball skills and Kirkpatrick does not. Beyond that I could see it happening, but I'm not sure

12. cantwait57

cantwait57 Member

Our future FS is in the 2013 Draft, and his name is Baccari Rambo

13. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

I think you're referring to Mr Goo Fudge...

14. xjets2002x

xjets2002x Active Member

The problem with drafting Kirkpatrick as a safety is he's an unknown quantity at the spot, and his current value is based on his ability to play cornerback. Because a guy is a good corner, it doesn't mean he'll be a good safety. You'd have to compete with teams that view him as a corner on draft day, and you'd be overpaying no matter what.

-X-

15. JetsNation

JetsNation New Member

2013 does have a lot of Safety talent

16. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

you mean Goo fudge?

With the way his stock is already rising he'll probly be a early first round pick.

17. Green Hurricane

Green Hurricane Footsteps Falco

AAAAHHHH, another Goo Fudge fan?? WOOH!! Welcome to the bandwagon, sir. It's a wonderful place to be.

I think he'd be one hell of a player at FS if given the opportunity to play back there, but you're right. It becomes a question of safety value, and it's always hard to justify 1st rounders on safeties that aren't studs. I believe very strongly he would be, but we can't truly know. The Jets would have had to have seen him enough to know, or else they can't make the pick.

18. cantwait57

cantwait57 Member

He's the one safety I hoped the Jets would draft until he didn't declare for this years draft.

19. Jonky

Jonky Banned

Rambo is a hell of a player for Georgia. Would love to see the Jets have a UGA draft next year with their OLB as well. Ga may have 3-5 players go in the '13 first round.