POLL: Who was to blame?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by ........, Sep 15, 2010.

?

Who was to blame for Monday's loss?

1. Offense

91.9%
  2. Defense

4.4%
  3. Special Teams

3.7%
  1. Yisman

Yisman Newbie

I think the poll was asking your opinion of what was primarily at fault, not that each person should try to even out percentages.

The defense deserves some blame as well, but if I were dividing it up purely offense/defense, I'd say the offense should get 75%.

I didn't vote in the poll to make it 75/25, I voted based on what I thought was more at fault.

2. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

If you only allow 9 points in a game in the NFL and you have an above average offense you are expected to win.

Everyone continues to discount that the Ravens didn't allow any TDs. The only "logical" answer for Jets fans is it's our own fault we didn't score. It couldn't possibly have had anything to do with the Ravens actually showing up.

Yet our super D was solely responsible for holding them to 10.

3. Yisman

Yisman Newbie

Alio, the Ravens have a good defense. No one said otherwise.

But compare the offensive production on Monday night against what teams normally do against the Ravens (and last year, the Ravens had a much better secondary than they do now) and you'll see the problem.

I, and I assume the others, understand that the Ravens have a good defense, but I think it would be reasonable to expect the offense to maybe convert more than once on third down.

To recap:

Jets defense force turnover, offense gets ball at BAL 11, kicks field goal

Leonhard with a big return, offense gets ball at BAL 37, kicks field goal

Cromartie picks off Flacco, gets a big return, offense gets ball at BAL 31, fumbles it away

Leonhard with another good return, offense starts at BAL 35, kicks field goal

So the offense only got anything if the defense/special teams put them in position to score, and not once scored a touchdown or had a real drive that resulted in points.

That's a problem, no matter what defense you're facing.

By the way, I think you'll see some QBs be able to throw deep on the Baltimore secondary this year.

#63 Yisman, Sep 16, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2010
  4. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

You're acting like we didn't do anything on offense. Remember we had a play into the red zone called back on a penalty. Multiple gains were negated by yellow flags.

We blew a lot of this game on being sloppy. It's not like we didn't move the ball on the Ravens at all. We just gave them second chances to make up for mistakes. Good teams capitalize on mistakes. We didn't, they did.

5. Yisman

Yisman Newbie

We pretty much didn't do anything on offense, so yeah.

1/11 on converting third downs, and the only conversion was the 9 yarder to Braylon with time running out.

Zero drives that resulted in points. The three field goals resulted from the offense being put in great field position.

6. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

But again, why didn't things happen on offense? We either dropped passes or got plays called back on penalties. You can't act like the plays didn't happen just because they were called back on a flag if you're going to talk about the way we performed talent-wise.

I really don't understand this need for everyone to pigeon-hole the blame on any one entity. The Baltimore Ravens found a way to beat the New York Jets.

7. Yisman

Yisman Newbie

If we're discarding penalties, then the defense was fantastic and anyone blaming them would have to be nuts.

This thread was created because a certain poster was insisting that the defense is to blame for the loss.

#67 Yisman, Sep 16, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2010
  8. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I am proud to have voted 5 times for the offense.

9. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I can't believe I missed this guy. The same dude that said the Jets are run of the mill defensively in the same post that he said is was debatable that Revis was a star because he only ever had 'one good season.'

You're so gracious in victory.

10. Sundayjack

Sundayjack pǝʇɔıppɐ ʎןןɐʇoʇ

Such an important issue, even Greenhornet came back from brain cancer to vote.

11. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Yeah, it was so close they even wheeled Senator Byrd's casket up to the computer.

12. dthomas53

dthomas53 New Member

It's not so much about discounting the Ravens, but recognizing the glaring inefficiencies we have with our offensive unit (read: Sanchez), which also includes our OC.

But if you really care to debate it, the truth is Ravens hardly showed up either. Their running game was stuffed outright, from start to finish. Can that even be denied? And other than a few key 3rd down passing plays (yes, they deserve credit here), the rest of their offense was non-existent as well - we kept them on the field with stupid penalties (some deserved, some not even close).

Their defense, too, was hardly anything special. Their primary goal coming into the game was to stop the run, and LT still banged out a few long ones, despite being entirely one-dimensional (if that) all night long. Additionally, if you watch the tape, Sanchez missed a number of receivers open mid- and down-field, either by checking down too quickly or not going through his reads - just about any other QB could have hit them for decent gains.

I do agree that most fans will only look internally when analyzing, post-game, but in this case I think it's entirely justified. Horrible offensive play-calling and play at the QB position, combined with stupid penalties lost this game for us. The Ravens have the talent on offense (Boldin, Heap, Rice, good OL, Flacco) to put up 24+ points per game, but only managed 10, even with the penalties by our defense. That's a testament to Rex's ability as a defensive play-caller more than anything, but also the talent level of this defense. Yes, our D is "super" and has the ability to be so all year, barring injuries.

But our offense was miserable, not because of the Ravens, but because Mark played incredibly scared, and our play-calling was atrociously conservative. If that wasn't obvious to you, I don't what to say.

Whenever a team loses, you analyze what you could have done better to win, so as to prevent the same weakness from recurring. It's not just Jets fans, it's all fans, all coaches, all players, everyone. It's how you improve.

The Ravens won, and I won't deny they were the better team Monday. But we are clearly the better team overall, IMO, and could have easily won that game. That's what makes it all so frustrating.

13. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

I think you need to read the whole thread.

14. dthomas53

dthomas53 New Member

I did. I'm not sure where you think I missed something.

Your posts suggest you think the Ravens deserve more credit for winning, than we do for losing the game. I disagree.

I feel we were/are the better team overall, in terms of talent and defensive coaching. What we lack(ed) was aggressiveness on offense, and decent (yes, just decent) QB play.

Baltimore deserves the win, not the praise.

15. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

Sorry about that, most of my posts this week have pointed at things like the excessive penalties and our receivers' inability to hold on to the ball as the reasons we lost, but not in this thread. It's my fault. I didn't realize which thread this was.

I simply wanted to point out that we can't completely discredit the Ravens. They came ready to play and with a better gameplan. (Even if that gameplan was to allow the Jets to shoot themselves in the foot repeatedly.)

My entire point is really that there were a plethora of reasons we lost, and as my first post discussed, you can count the number of people who weren't responsible for it without running out of fingers and toes.