Poll: What Record Would Call for a Year 1 Gase Fire?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by FrontOfficeFanatic, Sep 8, 2019.

?

What record would call for Year 1 Gase Firing?

1. 0-16

6 vote(s)
    6.3%
  2. 1-15

6 vote(s)
    6.3%
  3. 2-14

4 vote(s)
    4.2%
  4. 3-13

16 vote(s)
    16.8%
  5. 4-12

16 vote(s)
    16.8%
  6. 5-11

9 vote(s)
    9.5%
  7. 6-10

12 vote(s)
    12.6%
  8. 7-9

1 vote(s)
    1.1%
  9. 8-8

2 vote(s)
    2.1%
  10. Gets another year no matter what!

23 vote(s)
    24.2%
  1. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

If the Jets didnt hire Gase he would be an offensive coordinator right now...No one else was gonna hire him as there head coach..Im honestly amazed at how stupid Christopher Johnson is...How did these people become Billionares..

2. FrontOfficeFanatic

FrontOfficeFanatic Well-Known Member

I'm definitely not feeling good about the Cleveland game for many reasons:

1) Just came off a frustrating loss
    2) Cleveland needs this win and has been harassed all week by media
    3) Cleveland wants to spite Greg Williams
    4) OBJ is going to try to play big in NY
    5) Our secondary sucks and they have talented receivers

SOJAZ and NYJetsO12 like this.
  3. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

Is this the first time a Jets regime has been nailed with one of these right out of the gate in year 1?

*sigh*

It's not that I think Cleveland is all that, I don't.

I just have a bad feeling about this game, this season after the way the Buffalo game ended. The stuff after.

It's sad at 16-0 I was soooooooooooo happy. The defense looked awesome four, five turnovers they came close to two or three more. They made Allen look like a turnover factory it looked like they had him figured out. I was thinking shutout.

Then just like that *snaps fingers* we lost.

4. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

I wanted Gase here BUT I never said to give him total control, make him a all powerful football czar.

When they fired MacCagnan when they did was a major red flag.

He has one more chance to change the SOJ script on MNF. If they drop to 0-2 I think many Jets fans will be able to feel where this season is going.:(

5. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

He just isnt my type of guy...I wanted Macarthy if the choice was between the two.I think we made a huge mistake...Instead of hiring the guy that helped develop Aaron Rodgers we hired the guy that called plays for Peyton Manning.

6. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

I agree with the bolded...with one caveat. Vacchiano left out one thing, one very important thing and it happens to be the exact same thing that Gase left out in the first conference call. When it's necessary to point out the failures of a group, it's necessary to do it completely, no one gets protected.

As the guy leading he has to maintain credibility by pointing out his own failures and that should be the lead. Nobody expected a 180 degree turnaround in one game (well, maybe a handful here did) because that would be unreasonable but most expect honesty and that includes looking in the mirror, especially for a guy in a glass house who is comfortable throwing stones.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  7. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

I don't think it is only the record that will get Gase fired. Although 0 and 7 might get us an interim head coach on G. Williams.

What could contribute to getting Gase fired is:
    1. If he makes no progress with Darnold. He was brought in to help Darnold.
    2. If he loses the team. If he continues to publicity attack players while refusing to admit his own mistakes then he could be in trouble.
    3. Publicly embarrasses ownership again. Gase made a calculated gamble at the draft by publicly embarrassing Chris Johnson by throwing a public temper tantrum forcing Johnson to fire him or MAC. It worked out to everyone's benefit but if he gets insecure again and tries another stunt like that he might be the one gone.
    4. Loses the trust of everyone in the building with more lies and self serving behavior.

Gase is an extremely smart man who can be charismatic and very engaging. His problem is he desperately wants to tell everyone how smart he is. If he could get out of his own way and stop with the self destructive behavior he could do great things.

SOJAZ and NYJetsO12 like this.
  8. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

A fire Gase thread after a 1 point loss in game 1smh..

No surprises here ahaha. I was surprised at the hire but have wait and see attitude frankly

Did we miss by not hiring McCarthy? Maybe ..But ask the fans in GB bout that and I am sure they will say the play calling was getting stale

Did the Owners hire Williams as a Plan B? Could be..we shall see

NCJetsfan likes this.
  9. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

It's the gig economy. The Jets should contract HC on a week to week basis. You win you get to coach next week, you lose, we don't need to waste our time trying to figure out if you can win down the road.

With the new CBA and the lack of playing time for the 53 man roster during TC and pre-season we can run old coaching films of Lombardi diagraming the power sweep.

10. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

What fans often forget is that they don’t really matter. Ownership doesn’t give a shit whether or not you’re pleased with the coach, or if you only think he deserves a one year audition, etc. They have a plan and they didn’t and don’t consult you on it. You can sit here and talk tough about how the coach is on thin ice with you, or how you’re only giving him a year, but nobody gives a shit because your voice isn’t heard and doesn’t matter.

Gase will last as long as the GM and ownership want him too, and if you don’t like it, well, let me welcome you back to the Todd Bowles days.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  11. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

I agree with everything you said with the exception of the bolded part.

12. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

I don't think Gase gets fired no matter what after year 1. But if/when the day comes when Gase gets fired I just hope the Johnson's let Douglas make the call on the next hire. I know as owners they will be involved but let Douglas have the final say. With that said I am rooting for Gase to do well for the obvious reasons.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  13. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

In his defense, Ralph does point out that on Wednesday morning Gase admitted his own mistakes.

14. NCJetsfan

If Gase winds up getting fired, I agree that it won't be only his record that gets him fired, but I don't think he gets fired this year under almost any circumstance.

I think Darnold will make progress. I'm not worried about that at all.

I'm also not worried about Gase losing the team. He didn't publicly attack players. He pointed out areas where the team could have played better. He didn't mention anyone by name. He told them the same thing in private before he said it publicly. If he loses some players or the team, it's because the Jets have a bunch of hyper-sensitive losers. They're men who are getting paid a lot of money. Gase's job is to point their mistakes and help them get better. It took him some reflection and a day or two, but he did admit his own mistakes.

Gase neither publicly embarrassed ownership, nor did he throw a temper tantrum.

How has his behavior been "self-serving"?

#134 NCJetsfan, Sep 12, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2019
    NYJetsO12 likes this.
  15. NCJetsfan

Prior to Douglas, and maybe Gase, I would agree with you, but now with Douglas and Gase on board, I think there is definitely a plan for the future either already in place, or that is in the process of being developed.

16. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

most organizations that's probably true but the Johnson's have shown numerous times that they will let the fans dictate their actions

17. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

lots of 'ifs' there in your post. both positive and negative 'ifs'. for the most part I doubt we will see any of the extremes, the "ifs" you identified.

For example, its probably gonna be difficult to tell whether Darnold has made 'progress' or not. Joe Flacco for example, a 10 year vet with a Super Bowl MVP, in Baltimore one week he would look like that guy, then he'd play Cincinnati at home and look like pure dog shit. If Baltimore was evaluating Harbaugh based on Flacco's progress they wouldn't have had any semblance of a clue and Harbaugh would probably have been fired by now.

the "loses the team" thing too, it is very rare that that becomes obvious. and in some cases, its not even a bad thing!

the players on this team right now - lets face it, they are losers. 8 years without playoffs for a reason. If the veterans turn on Gase, maybe that's not even a bad thing - we cut the dead weight and get better. Idk

18. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

Presumably there's no record that would do it at this point, particularly if Darnold doesn't come back until November (or at all).

19. LeonNYJ

LeonNYJ Well-Known Member

Agree. And if he manages to post a better record than Bowles w/o Darnold then even less so

20. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

Gase did publicly attack specific players. It was quite clear he was talking about Robbie Anderson, and when he blamed the cbs that meant Roberts and Johnson when he threw them under the bus and blsmed them for the loss and yes Gase did throw a public temper tantrum at the draft. When he moved his chair away from Johnson, sat in the corner and refused to talk to people and participate while the cameras were on him. It was a calculated and designed move to embarrass Johnson enough in front of the press and the NFL to force him to either fire MAC or himself. We may have quite a different definition of temper tantrum but I think those actions by Gase quite clearly fall under the definition of temper tantrum.

#140 Noam, Sep 12, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2019