Poll: Was the move to #3 the right thing to do?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Penning10, Mar 17, 2018.

?

How do you feel about the move to trade up to #3?

Poll closed Apr 16, 2018.
  1. Gave up way too much! Stupid move...

24.2%
  2. Very excited! Let’s get that Franchise QB!

75.8%

1. CC, you've made good points throughout this entire discussion. You are open minded & always willing to view things from a different perspective. Every point you have made about Allen is totally reasonable & worth consideration.

There are things I don't like about Allen..no doubt. He's not even my first or 2nd choice. I like Rosen & Darnold better. However, I still think Allen is a genuine blue chip prospect.I think the accuracy issues are overblown, I think he did more w. less & I like the upward trajectory of his development. If he goes to a team that's willing to build an offense around his strengths he could have great success.

The Hackenburg comparision is worth noting but I think there are significant differences between the 2. For one, Allen is on an upward trajectory from college as opposed to completely falling apart from his frosh year onward like Hack. Additionally Hack's accuracy was completely disastrous footwork & beyond. Allen needs work on his accuracy & his footwork but he's a far cry from a disaster. Hack has good pocket movement but he's not a threat as a ball carrier or outside the pocket. Allen has top end mobility to make such plays. This goes back to how much time does Allen realistically need?If he's more than a 1 year project due to his accuracy than yes...he's eerily similar to Hack & we should steer clear...but if he really just needs a year to get acclimated before he's all systems go...I'm not so concerned about the Hack dynamic.

The reason why experts get it wrong so often w. QB's is b.c everyone has a different criteria & standard for which they are evaluating the prospects. Everyone is always trying to fit these guys into their vision for a QB including comparing them directly against one another & frankly I just think that's extremely flawed logic. There is no cookie cutter way for a QB to play.There's so measureable, stat line,level of competition or otherwise that simplifies the process. No 2 QB's are the same & no team situation is exactly the same. Everything is up for discussion & scrutiny..many of these guys we've been dissecting since last August...it's easy to find flaws & people view flaws differently. As such you end up w. opinions that are all over the place..some folks are bound to end up looking silly & very wrong. It's an inexact science...I'm still eating personal crow about being wrong about Paxton Lynch(loved him) & Carson Palmer(Hated him). Then again I was right about Brees,Rodgers & Marriota. Nobody is perfect.

2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

A lot of Jets fans didn't like Chad at the time. I remember a lot of fans despising him because he was "soft", "always injured," and "held our offense back because he couldn't make all the throws." I think a lot of them have come to appreciate him over the years after seeing all the other crap we've trotted out there to play the QB position.

I loved Chad when he was at Marshall and fervently hoped the Jets would draft him. When they did, I was ecstatic! Even though he got hurt a lot, I still loved him, although I came to understand that we'd never get to or win a SB with him because there were several routes that he could no longer throw, and opposing Ds didn't have to worry about covering them. Even so, I hated it when he was released/or allowed to leave in FA (I forget which) and went to the Dolphins.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.