Poll: Was the move to #3 the right thing to do?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Penning10, Mar 17, 2018.

?

How do you feel about the move to trade up to #3?

Poll closed Apr 16, 2018.
  1. Gave up way too much! Stupid move...

24.2%
  2. Very excited! Let’s get that Franchise QB!

75.8%
  1. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

I dont like it primarily because I have no faith in this franchise not making the wrong decision and/or the best QB in the draft already being off the board when we pick at 3 - we could get our third choice QB at #3 after giving up 3 second round picks - the only reason I dont really hate it is most of our second round picks turn out to be terrible anyway

IF we get a franchise QB no-one will care but I just don't believe we ever will because its the Jets

2. njjets93

njjets93 Active Member

Difference is that McCag is making the picks now not Idzick et al. He has a better record drafting except when projecting a QB (Hackenburg) as a future fqb. If he gets his guy at 3 he better be right or he will be gone this time next year. I just don't see one QB standing out in the top 5 or 6 qbs.

3. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

Of course they need more than a QB but they do need a QB...a real one ! They're not going anywhere without one and now is the chance.....they basically gave up 2 second rounders when you consider they swapped # 6 for # 3 ( forget next year's second rounder - they can always find a way to recoup that if necessary). If whatever QB they pick turns out to be the right guy nobody will even remember the second rounders.......

Regardless this team won't be ready to win until 2019 anyway.....

NYJetsO12 and kevda5n9ne like this.
  4. njjets93

njjets93 Active Member

Lol could you imagine the meltdown if they moved to #3 and select Barkley or Chubb? I still think Giants take Barkely. Cleveland takes Darnold with #1.

NYJetsO12, Mainejet and AlexJETS like this.
  5. apjbfc

apjbfc Well-Known Member

Keep throwing resources at the position until it becomes a FQB.

Money or draft picks

Just keep swinging for a qb

Sent from my SM-G610Y using Tapatalk

6. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

John Idzik and Tannenbuam weren't good at making second round picks so Mac will be horrible too despite drafting Maye.

#JetsFansLogic

DownAndOut and njjets93 like this.
  7. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

Not crazy about it ....but will see during the draft .Macs carrer is now riding on this pick

8. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

This is only a bad move if they take Allen. If they take Rosen/Mayfield, we are good to go.

9. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Totally disagree. No team has incentive to vacate a better draft spot for "equal" value. When you sell, you attempt to profit.

What the Jets are paying for, besides the spot itself, is the initiative of not getting jumped by someone else who may love the same players. The lost opportunity could cost more than the draft picks we parted with.

10. PennyandtheJets

If you think that this trade was a disaster in terms of value, wait until you see what the Bills give up to get to the 2nd overall pick.

11. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

No question the Jets NEED a franchise QB. I'm just not sold on on any of THESE QB prospects.
    There are a lot of holes this team needs to fill, and three 2nd rounders over the next two years could have gone a long way towards that.

Still, if the Jets have proven anything, its that whatever they do with a 2nd round pick is the wrong thing. Let's hope trading them away breaks the curse.

xxedge72x likes this.
  12. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

its a GREAT trade, didnt give up a ton, didnt give up a 1 next year and moved up to "HOPEFULLY" select a franchise qb.

HOWEVER there are no guarantees their guy will be there. which makes me think that they either think their guy will make it which if they are wrong they are morons or that they dont care which one of the 3 or 4 they get.

personally i believe that the giants will draft a qb, probably rosen and we will draft mayfield or allen and rosen will be a hall of famer and our guy will be out here in 4 years. but thats just me being a soj guy on this one.

13. JETS1116

JETS1116 Well-Known Member

Disaster? In terms of draft value? The 3rd overall pick is worth 2,200 points. Our 1st, and 2 2nds were worth 2,130 points. We threw in next year's 2nd worth 400 points, so we overpaid by 330 points (which is worth the 57th overall pick). We paid a 15% premium to guarantee that we'll be able to have a shot to draft between 2 of the top 4 QBs in the best draft class in 15 years. Not sure I'd call the value of it a disaster....

14. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

I'm in

They don't do this and people jump above him on draft day the internet melts down. My guess for many people that don't like this right now too. Tho I know some guys have a solid view and will stick to their convictions.

I like it because Mac has his convictions for 2 or 3 of these guys, is being pro active and is going after it. He's being bold.

If he gets it right he'll be a hero. If not he goes down in flames. We've been in flames forever anyway. This is a gamble but not a bad one. I commend him for trying.
    We may never get another shot like this again.

15. PennyandtheJets

1st Overall- Darnold
    2nd Overall- Barkley (If Giants sit) Allen (if Bills trade up)
    3rd Overall- Chosen Rosen

This must be what the Jets expect to happen after talking with the Giants for the 2nd overall pick.

16. njjets93

njjets93 Active Member

BUT if Darnold and Rosen are gone do we take Barkley? Maybe Chubb? Or go 3rd best qb. Looking at what a premier back like Elliot, Bell, Gordon can do for a team, I want Barkley.

17. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

This trade was a no brainer...had to go get our FQB and Macc made it happen!!!

I don't in any way see this as giving up too much as we still have our #1 next season and 1 of those 2's we gave up came from trading a guy we thought would walk without receiving any compensation, & got a starting WR along with it!

Basically we moved up 3 spots for a swap of 1's and 2 #2's... not bad in my eyes.

NYJetsO12 and kevda5n9ne like this.
  18. PennyandtheJets

Jets didn't make the trade up for a RB. They traded up this early because they knew they had 3 QBs they wanted. My guess is they expect Rosen to be there at 3 and have a back up plan (Mayfield/Allen) if he isn't.

NYJetsO12 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  19. njjets93

njjets93 Active Member

Penny, why not? Barkley would never have made it to 6. He is supposed to be the best RB in a long time and there have been some very good ones. Very few flops ( a low %) when picking a RB at the top of the draft , but QBs are usually a 60/40 gamble. Third best QB or franchise RB. A Bell/Gordon/Gurley like RB in green would be terrific.

20. njjets93

njjets93 Active Member

3 number 2s.