POLL: Jets Roster Transformation from 2023 to 2024 - Your Grade?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Mar 30, 2024.

?

Your Grade

1. A+ to A-

17.6%
  2. B+ to B-

58.8%
  3. C+ to C-

7.8%
  4. Undecided

15.7%
  1. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

I can't give this anything other than undecided at the moment, but I am concerned at the short-term nature of all the deals. We are going to have almost exactly the same holes next offseason as we did this time around. That means this has to really pay off, with a deep play-off run at least, if it is going to be considered worth it in any way... and even then it is going to be like a wild sugar rush with a crash afterwards.

And that is without even factoring in the possibility of some of these players getting hurt at some point. We could see a massive implosion, we could see a Super Bowl contender. I have no idea which way this is going to play out, but a nine-win season with no playoffs is somewhere in the middle and that scares the hell out of me.

2. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

He fixed the roster for next year. Pending what happens in the draft, we’re back to having no starting calibre tackles, no receiver in site after Garrett Wilson, and if I’m correct about the structure, entering the first year GW/Sauce/Jermaine Johnson/Breece can start clamoring about extensions after this season.

3. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

He set it up to save his ass next season.... then deal with the carnage afterwards (or it's someone else's problem if they dont win and he's canned)

4. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I can see extensions all around with a playoff berth. Woody will be like "and I'm not even a playoff mandate guy! These guys are overachievers!"

5. PennyRoyal10

PennyRoyal10 Well-Known Member

Straight C for me - IF the signings he's made can stay healthy enough to contribute at something close to their past performances then it could easily be an A. These are very good players, but with serious medical flags. If those signings break down physically, for sure an F. High risk, high reward moves - clearly made by a guy that is on the hot seat...

6. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

Smith typically plays 13 games or so which is great if we have a solid backup, which other players are injury prone? What are these serious medical flags?

7. Kronoking

Kronoking Well-Known Member

Mike Williams is an oft injured 29yo coming off an ACL tear. Contrary to a lot of pro-Jets takes that want to exist in their own little bubble.....there is also nothing in the recent historical aging data reasonably suggesting that 29 year old is the new 25. Just like there is really nothing outside the bubble logic suggesting that Rodgers actually has anything more then a hail mary shot at replicating the post-39yo Tom Brady career path.

The surrounding risks of injury and/or post peak decline are very real and very present within our upgrade picture. You can't hide from that in the bubble once the games start being played either.

8. NOVAJET

So just Mike Williams then? He has been historically beat up but typically doesn't miss much time. The whole narrative that we have a bunch of guys with insane injury history is a myth, some are aging yes but the team isn't made of glass even though a lot of posters want to portray it that way to push their agendas.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  9. Jonathan_Vilma

Smith’s played 30/68 games the past four seasons and has a chronic back injury. Williams off an ACL tear. AVT off back to back season ending injuries. Rodgers with the Achilles. The tackle opposite Smith has been very durable but is probably about to be running on borrowed time at this point.

I think it’s a realistic concern even if potentially somewhat overblown by the Jets.

I also don’t think Mike Williams is nearly as good as Jets fans think. He’s a one trick pony for the most part, catching bombs. It adds a nice element no doubt.

10. Mr mittens

Mr mittens Active Member

A give him a A .str8 balling JD doing this year. Im not worried about next year with the 1 year prove it deals. Because if they prove it they get extended. Now he just needs to go into draft and trade up for mhj or mn then hes a god gm

11. Kronoking

I mean Tyron has missed at least roughly 25% of the season for going on 8 straight years. Williams has never even managed to log a full season in his career and is going off an ACL tear. And Rodgers is going to be 41. In a comparative NFL sense that kinda qualifies imo as being on the "insane" level of age/injury risk if that is what we are going to label the top end.

Look, I was 100% in on the idea that Tyron was by far the biggest upgrade the Jets could reasonably add for for 2024 (this includes what I expect the return of a 41yo Rodgers to actually look like while having to lean exclusively on Hackett btw). But make no mistake to that. There is a 99.9% chance Tyron Smith is missing those 5 games in 2024 he does every year. I'm also a lot less optimistic about this OL without him in that picture.

What games those end up being probably end up having a pretty big impact on our season outlook. If it's Miami or Buffalo...bleh.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  12. NOVAJET

"The tackle opposite Smith has been very durable but is probably about to be running on borrowed time at this point."
    These statements are the one that kills me. A player that is known for his durability might be running on borrowed time? Really lol, that is grasping at straws to push a narrative if I have ever heard it. That statement in itself is a testament to how far the mental gymnastics can go to form an opinion that just isn't legitimate.
    Mike Williams is a very good player, not a one trick pony, anyone who plays fantasy football (haha yes funny) that has followed his career closely knows that is far from the truth.
    Smith can miss 5 games if we have a good backup like Bakh or a rookie and is still miles ahead of anyone else we could have signed.
    Rodgers is coming off the ACL as well as AVT but AVT had 2 fluke injuries these past 2 years, he wasnt hurt in college and while it seems like he is suseptible to injury I just don't see it.
    Color me an optimist all you want, you are not wrong but can we please stop acting like the entire team will miss the season because they are all made of glass.

#32 NOVAJET, Mar 31, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2024
    JetFanInNE likes this.
  13. Kronoking

Like I was even looking up the above possibilities the other day for that matter lol

Not to jinx it, but a worst case scenario on that 5 games missed Tyron expectation is a week 1 injury. For me that week 2-6 stretch is the most concerning on the schedule. If he waits until after week 6 to start missing games that would be the most ideal regular season outcome.

14. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I think your posts are always level headed and well reasoned, but I do think you're being a bit overly optimistic here. No one is saying "...the entire team will miss the season because they are all made of glass", or anything like that, but the odds are very high that key parts of the offense will miss at least some games, and it could easily be worse than that. I think that's a reasonable expectation. And if one of those players is again Rodgers, we're facing another lost season.

Douglas did the best that could be expected given the circumstances, but he had already dug himself a deep hole by not doing much better over the past 5 years regarding QB and OL. That's really unforgiveable no matter what happens this year. The only way he should retain his job is if the Jets make it at least to the AFCCG.

Ralebird and NOVAJET like this.
  15. Jonathan_Vilma

Why is it grasping at straws to think that a guy who is 34 could possibly get hurt or be more susceptible to getting hurt as he gets older?

Mike Williams is a very good player? Even fantasy wise, he’s went over a thousand yards (58.8 yards per game now) twice in his career and one of those markers was 1,001. He’s really only been a down field threat for the majority of his career. Fly routes, fades, deep posts and deep back shoulder fades.

Smith missing 5 games is probably realistic.

Fluke injury or not, AVT has had back to back season injury injuries. Whatever you want to classify it, he’s now injury prone.

16. NOVAJET

Just because a man has a 34th birthday (I felt pretty good at 34 btw) doesnt make him any more susceptible to injury than his 33 year old self. The other points while I disagree I can atleast understand your point of view but that one just seems like an incredible reach.

17. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

He should be able to get his 2025 starting LT and #2 WR in this draft. Moses could be extended as well. He's still playing at a high level, and he usually doesn't miss games. I doubt the Jets will be able to afford him, but it's possible they might extend M. Williams. So it's at least possible that we could enter next offseason with both starting OTs set and at least our top 2 WRs, and maybe top 3 WRs. Of course, he's just as liable to take an Edge, a CB and a DT with his first 3 picks, so what he does in the draft is crucial. I'm sure that he's trying to keep his job at this point, and thinking less about the future.

#37 NCJetsfan, Mar 31, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2024
    NYJetsO12 likes this.
  18. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

On paper they had a nice offseason. But as we all know on paper doesn't matter if they don't win starting in September. Also have to see how much Rodgers has left in the tank and can he stay healthy. The good news is with Tyrod Taylor the season won't be over if Rodgers gets hurt. Taylor is a nice upgrade over Wilson at the backup QB position.

19. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

It is a totally valid opinion. Morgan Moses isn’t super human. Every player gets hurt, especially those that are older. He has got a ton of miles on him

20. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

I gave him a B+ so far.

On paper, JD addressed all of our major holes before the draft and we have a much better roster than we did last year. If they can add a few more depth pieces and an offensive difference-maker at 10 (or in the 1st round), I would probably go A-.

I think his only major misstep was the Huff situation but that was more of a misstep last offseason as that’s when they really should’ve re-signed him on the cheap.

Only reason I’m not going higher is the age/injury history of most of our additions. However, considering our cap situation and our window at QB, these moves all make sense especially when you factor in the length of the deals and how incentive-laden they are.

Jets79, NCJetsfan and Brook! like this.