Politi: Rex has morphed into just another coach

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by MurrellMartin, Dec 6, 2012.

1. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

So Rex should be fired because Sanchez has no awareness on a broken play?

I think the Jets need a new quarterback if they can get one. Sanchez will be here next year, so ideally, he can be the guy, but that's becoming increasingly less likely.

I understand clinging to hope Sanchez can turn it around. He's had moderate success as a young QB and he's owed big money next year. I don't think it's a no-brainer like some to put in McElroy or Tebow.

If we're cleaning house and bringing in a proven football star executive to run the show, and he wants his own coach, then I'm fine with dumping Rex. But dumping him just to try to find lightning in a bottle with a new coach is short-sighted IMO.

2. rico college

rico college Well-Known Member

We need to clean house and start over. We had our chance to get to and win the super bowl with Sanchez, but that window has passed. And you are right, Tanny and Rex both need to go.

It is now clear, at lease to me, that we are not going to win a super bowl with the squad we have now. And I want to see my JETS win a ring before I die.

The faster we get to the rebuilding the better, i am not getting any younger.

#102 rico college, Dec 9, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2012
  3. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

How long would you give the new regime until you decide they can't get it done?

4. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

Nice win today. Glad to see Rex and our guys come together and gut out a win. 6-7 and we roll on to meet the Titans and the opportunity to get to .500. I don't understand the haters who root against the team that they are supposedly fans of - its bizarrely strange imho. If NYJ can beat the Titans that would be great !!

5. ArmandJ

ArmandJ Well-Known Member

I don't know if I said this earlier; but considering what we had, it's a testament to Rex's coaching if we win out. If we somehow make the playoffs, even better.

Considering the lack of talent at most positions on offense and injuries, that would be good. Most teams after Thanksgiving would have folded.

As for Tannenbaum, that is a different story. Allowing the team to have such little talent should be grounds for a pink slip barring a SB appearance.

6. 85inthehall

85inthehall Well-Known Member

Rex has had the jets in a position to make the playoffs in each season with personnel that has consistently gotten worse. Not sure how you justify firing a guy that puts the team in a spot to do something each December.

7. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

^ This. Rex is a very good coach. The haters need to recognize that we still have 3 games left to play and we have won 3 of our last 4 games. Lets see if the NYJ can TCB in Tennesee.

8. Jets1035

Jets1035 Active Member

What drives me crazy about Rex is he puts no emphasis on offense. The offense has underachieved tremendously, and all he talkes is defense. He is a one sided coach that talks to much. This little run through the bottom feeders of the league is going to keep him here. I agree with the poster above, Tanny will be here next year and well will spend another offseason on aquiring more players for the defense. Maybe we will spend another 7th round pick on a blocking tight end or fullback. If Rex could venture into the center, and work on the O side it would be better for everyone. But I don't expect that.

9. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

This team won't quit under Rex Ryan, for that I'm happy he's our HC. This team despite having lack of talent will not quit and continues to fight. I won't be happy that Tanny will get a free pass if we make the playoffs

10. 85inthehall

85inthehall Well-Known Member

I agree with this -- the ground and pound mentality is a tough way to win in the NFL. They need to find a balance between the pass and the run. The next draft cannot be all defense and offensive projects.

11. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

It's just not his focus or mindset to look at the O.

Yesterday the O couldn't do crap until the OL began to beat up on Jville's front seven. The passing game was virtually non-existant. The Jets were behind at the half to one of the worst teams in the league playing without their best player, a starting receiver, their starting Qb and some others.

Yet Rex was focused on the D giving up those fourth down conversions. Hey, I can understand that is a concern, but... Then he adds that he thought Sanchez played "good".

I know Ryan has some real tough challenges coaching this team. I know the Jets still have a chance to have a winning record the same year Revis and Holmes are out, and the Jets have a terrible Qb starting. But I will say he's got virtually no credibility left in terms of what he says, and I doubt this team will ever have real success without a greater emphasis on the passing game. This is after all today's NFL we are talking about.

12. Milliner is your Mommy

Milliner is your Mommy Well-Known Member

Lets say that after this season. I think we will have a huge focus on offense in the offseason. Rex is a great defensive coach everyone knows that. That is all the more reason to work on the offense. He can always have a good enough D.

13. Jetaho

Jetaho Well-Known Member

I agree that the ground and pound gives us a really small margin for error, but given the personnel at their disposal, they have no choice. I doubt we'd be groundin' and poundin' if we had Manning or Brady as our QB.

14. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

Opening statement in today's presser: "We just finished watching the tape and BOY there were a lot of good things to see".

AYFKM? We beat the worst team in the NFL by 1 TD, had NO passing game and there were a lot of good things to see? I'm not sure if he's trying to fool everyone or if he actually believes the bullshit that comes out of his mouth.

15. ArmandJ

ArmandJ Well-Known Member

Well, there were definitely a lot of good things on defense.

As for offense, our run game was pretty good.

Let's not forget that the only time Jacksonville scored a touchdown, Cro was out of the game.

16. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

After that "sticker on the bus" thing during the 2009, I stopped believing in what Rex says to the public. You have to think he's talking about the defense and just the defense. Prob the run game too.

17. ScotsJet

ScotsJet Active Member

There is more to the game than passing offense. We did a lot of good things in the game and won it. That's the object of the game, you play to win.

18. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Well i think there were a lot of positives to the game.
    Only turned the ball over once. Running game was strong.
    Defense made big stop after big stop, and got after the QB quite a bit.

If you want to discuss negatives, there were some of them as well. Mainly the passing game, and the offense ability to move the chains. Nothing new there.

You know Rex will focus more on the positives in his dealings with the media. I don't think its worth analyzing what he says and doesn't say to the media. People make a huge deal of that for some reason (see Fatcessa)..

19. lakersmetsjets49ers

My thoughts completely. Keep Rex and fire Tanny.

Once this seasons over if the Jets finish .500 or better, people will look back at this season as a real good job on Rex Ryan's part. It might not be noticeable now but if this team finishes strong in a year where they coulda ranked and quit due to circumstances it says something about the coaching.

It's easy to be hyped about a coach when they have talent around them but how the team responds when there's less talent and if they can make something out of nothing it speaks more on the coaching to me