Please fire bowles

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Longsuffering88, Dec 3, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I can agree with your main point which is that fans tend to call for the coach to be fired too quickly. That said, there are times when they might be right. Based on what I've seen from Bowles recently - and really this past week where he actually sat players for disciplinary reasons - I see a very small glimmer of hope that maybe he's actually trying to change. But he's got a long ways to go still, especially with regards improving his game management - too many penalties, especially delay of game ones along with wasting time outs, and his being too conservative in play calling (I know that's the OC's job, but the HC has veto power does he not?). I'm still in the "Fire him" camp, but I do see the wisdom of being slower to pull the trigger.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  2. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Benching Lee should be a no brainer. That is part of Bowles responsibility. Wilkerson should have been more severe as he is a repeat offender. Once is given three times is a trend.

3. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I agree that patience is merited at times, but imo that patience has to be earned, and Bowles hasn't. It isn't even not making the playoffs that is damning to me. IMO the only improvement Bowles has shown is that the players have shown up for every game, been prepared to play and played hard. That is no major accomplishment with young players, and I think some here are giving Bowles too much credit. Mac has made it a point to add players with high character, great work ethics, and who are motivated, and even some of them are leaders. They're hungry, want to make a name for themselves and make a future for themselves in the NFL. Bowles is still too conservative, can't manage the game or clock, and is still incapable of making adjustments. His specialty, defense, is where the team is the least dependable and consistent, yet it has most of the resources tied up in it. Rodgers has been an awful DC and Bowles could have fired him and hired someone better, and he didn't. He chose loyalty to his friend over making the team better.

The clincher for me has been his handling of the QB this season. During the offseason, he said that it was going to be a fair and open 3-way competition for the starting QB job. It wasn't, not by any stretch of the imagination. Petty was given no chance. Hack was given every chance, but in reality, had no chance. I can even understand starting McCown to start the season because Petty was injured, and with McCown's experience, he could help get the offense in sync and working smoothly. After the first 3-4 games, McCown should have taken a seat and the reigns been handed to Petty for at least 6-8 games, and then Hack should have gotten the last 4 games to give him some experience and a chance to show that he deserves to stay. Bowles selfishly put himself over the team. While it's understandable, it's inexcusable imo.

Further, I think the team needs an experienced HC whose specialty is offense.

If Bowles is back, I'm done with this team. It won't matter if the Jets draft both Rosen and a stud pass rusher. I've seen enough from Bowles and the Johson idiots, er, I mean brothers.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  4. ColoradoContrails

I agree with everything you said except the last part. If they somehow got Rosen and a stud pass rusher I would hang in there to see what happens. If, as you say, Bowles screws that miracle up, and isn't fired, then I would definitely be done.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  5. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

FTR.

FJF likes this.
  6. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Do not lose that post

Walt White likes this.
  7. NCJetsfan

IMO If Bowles is back, it won't matter if the Jets do draft Rosen. He want see the field. McCown, Cousins or some other vet QB would "give the team the best chance to win" and would play. Bowles and Rodgers haven't been able to develop a reliable D yet. What makes you think another year would make any difference?

8. ColoradoContrails

Because legitimate franchise-level talent makes mediocre coaches into geniuses.

9. NCJetsfan

Why? He had plenty of reasons to be more demanding of players after Mo's and Richardson's actions last season. What did he do? He said that being late wasn't that big of a deal, and set himself and the team up for more of the same. Then it took Mo's being late 5 or more times this season and Lee to follow his example before he decided to crack down and disciple Mo? IMO he still hasn't learned. I think he's too stupid to learn.

10. NCJetsfan

Bowles would still find a way to screw it up.

11. boozer32

I agree with you except a coach has to show he is a long term type of guy. I don't see it with Bowles. He's a defensive guy but I would'nt call the Jets defense stellar. They have drafted defense every year for 9 years. I don't see him being a visionary type coach either. There is nothing to get excited about and both sides are as vanilla as they come. It will work for a few games but teams game plan that stuff. The secondary especially is awful. I realize there are injuries there but they were getting torched before the injuries. Be really curious who they sign with all this money. They blew it last time around especially signing Skrine for 40 million.

12. ColoradoContrails

I see your point, but the fact remains that he actually DID do something this time. It's too small of a sample to say whether he's changed, but I'm trying to be hopeful because at this point that's all I've got.

And I don't think he's too "stupid", but he may well not be cut out for the demands of being a HC with its myriad responsibilities...that doesn't mean he's dumb, just that he's in over his head.

As I've said, I'm still in the "Fire Bowles" camp,but I also have to agree that changing coaches every three years is not a recipe for success. My best case scenario is that over these last four games Bowles finally puts it together and shows he can actually be a good coach. I don't think that will happen though.

13. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

If we needed a reason to really hope Bowles would be back, now we have it.

Walt White and Attackett like this.
  14. All we're asking if Bowles be held to the same high standards as Hack & Especially Petty over the last 3 years.

"I saw Bowles over the last 3 seasons...._____ is my head coach"

15. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

Fair enough. We'll see how the rest of the season plays out.

16. slimjasi

This remains to be seen. There are four huge games left in this season. Let's see how they finish up and how competitive they are. They (arguably) have two of their toughest games on the schedule left to play in @NO and @NE (depending on if NE plays to win the last week of the season, which they usually do regardless of circumstance). Furthermore, both are on the road, where IMO, Bowles has struggled most as a coach. I will be very curious to see how this team finishes the season.

17. slimjasi

My point was that in the modern reactionary media climate that we all now inhabit, no coach would survive that kind of starting record. There was no stated or intended correlation/association with Bowles.

boozer32 likes this.
  18. slimjasi

A) You and I both know this is horseshit. Fans write this stuff all the time on this message board. Does it ever actually happen? I just think you dudes panicking over Bowles need to take a chill pill.

B) You and I also both know that, barring an epic collapse down the stretch, he's coming back. So, I guess this is . . Goodbye?

Walt White likes this.
  19. NCJetsfan

Yep. IMO following a team is supposed to be fun. Following the Jets isn't, it's misery. I'm not a masochist and there are more important, better things in life on which I can spend my time.

20. boozer32

We will never know that. Two different era's and the greed with owners is also a problem. But the Ohio teams stick it out more than others. Marvin lewis has been there a long time and Hue Jackson got another year to get the Browns going. Now he has a real GM in Dorsey to help him.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.