Playoff Picture Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by RobA, Oct 25, 2015.

1. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Correct, so I don't see how we are out of this at all

2. Jets_Grinch

Jets_Grinch Well-Known Member

Because being currently in the 6th seed and controlling our own destiny means the season is over and we should lose out for a higher draft.

Big Cat and dawinner127 like this.
  3. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Doesn't everybody control their own destiny until the last game or two of the season?

4. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

Huh? Not at all, if you lose 8 games you've fucked yourself. Any team that loses 8 before week 16 is out, and many teams start 5-8, 4-8 or even worse. We control our own destiny in the sense that if we win the rest of our games, we make the playoffs no matter what anyone else does. That's so because we currently own a playoff spot. As opposed to a team like the 2-6 Ravens who can win the rest of their games and still miss the playoffs if things don't go right. They don't "control their own destiny".

Jets_Grinch likes this.
  5. Gremlin

Gremlin Well-Known Member

Well I think the South is only going to send the divisional winner with 2nd placed at a best of 8-8

The West has the chargers toasted with 2 ties against the Bronco's to come. The Raiders have a tough schedule albeit mostly they're at home but they or the Cheifs need to pretty mcuh sweep the division (outside the Bronco's) if they want a 10 or 11 win season.

Which leaves the Bengals running away in the North from the recovering Steelers.

So assuming we can take the second spot here in the East we're pretty much up against the Steelers and Raiders/Cheifs for that last WC.

So after our recent loss, I'm rooting for the Steelers Vs the Raiders this week.

6. Big Cat

Of note are 3 way ties. A lot of people are upset about the loss to the Raiders because it gives them a tiebreaker, but if 3 teams finish tied for a wild card spot then all head to heads get thrown out in favor of a 3 way conference record tiebreaker.

7. Big Cat

So, if the Jets, Raiders and Steelers all finish 9-7 (likely scenario), it doesn't matter that the Jets lost to the Oakland other than the fact that it hurts their AFC record.

8. Mario

Mario Well-Known Member

The good news is that Oakland plays Pittsburgh on Sunday. Either the Raiders will pick up a 4th loss or the Steelers will get a 5th.

Pitt still has games at Seattle, at Bengals, and vs Broncos. If they lose Sunday, 9-7 (or worse) is probably likely for them.

Raiders still have games vs Vikings, at Broncos, at Kansas City, vs Green Bay.

Jets have an opportunity to create some separation with games against Jacksonville, Buffalo and Houston upcoming.

Other than those two, it is too early to worry about KC, Buffalo, Miami, etc... Those teams will need to go on winning streaks to enter the picture.

slimjasi, Big Cat and dawinner127 like this.
  9. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

That's tough man. I don't know who I want to lose that game now. I really think steelers steam roll Oakland. Big Ben is gonna light up that secondary.

10. JetsVilma28

JetsVilma28 Well-Known Member

DeAngelo Williams has big shoes to fill. Derek Carr pinpointed that bomb on Cro...kid can play. I like Pitt at home though.

11. Big Cat

Looking at their remaining schedules, they both have 3 tough games and a bunch of middling teams remaining, so I'd rather see Oakland pick up their 4th. They could get to 10 wins if they win here.

12. socaljetfan

socaljetfan Active Member

we want to be the 5th seed that way we can play the AFC South winner. Then we get to likely play the Pats while the Broncos and Bengals face off.

max, Mario and Jay Bizniss like this.
  13. NotSatoshiNakamoto

it's not that we're out of it it's just that we're well on our way to bring the 2000s knicks.

Jay Bizniss likes this.
  14. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

Pretty much summed it up, perfectly. These next three games are HUGE for us. We really, really, really, really, really, want to be 7-3 heading into the rematch with the Dolphins.

The reason I am still SO frustrated by what happened on Sunday is that this could be the easiest schedule we have seen since 2001. This is a tremendous opportunity for a team laden with veterans to get into the playoffs. We could play another 3 decades and not encounter a schedule this soft. We are irrefutably playing the two worst divisions in the NFL. We need to take advantage of it. I know we aren't contenders this year, but I want to be a playoff team and I will be furious if we waste this gift of a schedule.

#134 slimjasi, Nov 4, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2015
    NYJetsO12, socaljetfan and Mario like this.
  15. Mario

Mario Well-Known Member

If Raiders win, it'll be harder for Jets to get 5th seed. However, they'd most likely win a tie breaker considering all of Pitts loses are afc right now.

I think I'd be ok with any outcome in that game. Let's just beat Jacksonville.

16. Big Cat

Yep, definitely rooting for Pit but it won't matter if we keep losing

17. Sundayjack

Sundayjack pǝʇɔıppɐ ʎןןɐʇoʇ

Typical. I can't decide whether to be frightened or flattered that there is a billion dollar organization created for the sole purpose of screwing ME.

FlaJet likes this.
  18. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

You think they get to sit in Woody's suite? may get a little crowded

19. DoubleDecker87

DoubleDecker87 Well-Known Member

Bills beat Dolphins making next weeks game (5-3) jets (4-4) bills even more important.

AFC south is irrelevant.

Raiders and Steelers playing now and it looks like the Steelers will hold on leaving the WC

#5 Jets 5-3 bills at home next week
    #6 Steelers 5-4 browns at home next week

Raiders 4-4 vikings at home
    Bills 4-4 at Jets

NY Jets68 likes this.
  20. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

It also looks like Big Ben could be out AGAIN. so we really want Pittsburgh to hold onto this one