Playoff Picture Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by RobA, Oct 25, 2015.

1. RobA

RobA 2005-2007 TGG.com Most Optimistic Award Winner

As Section 336 pointed out, Cinci has everything to play for on Monday night. Especially if the Jets defeat NE.

If the Jets defeat NE, Cinci is not just playing for a first round bye, but they are also playing for homefield advantage. They pull ahead of NE (I believe) if they win and NE loses next week. The Broncos, of course, are playing for their playoff lives.

I believe Denver will be the team that does not control their own destiny anymore after this weekend. The Jets, Steelers, and Chiefs will.

NYJetsO12 and JetLifeLo like this.
  2. Jets-N-Terps

Jets-N-Terps Well-Known Member

I'm puling strong for AJ and Cincy. If only someone could convince Katherine Webb to offer a threesome or "the back door" if he engineers a win in Denver...

3. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

Perfect perfect analogy. Well done. Probs to you.

Football is a male version of a soap opera.

It's not real life, we don't win or lose anything of real or material value if they don't ultimately win a SB in any season, it's just disappointment but the REAL enjoyment is the buildup, the week to week entertainment and analysis and the post season discussion until the next season starts.

This has been the most enjoyable season of the New York Jets Soap Opera since 2010. It's almost 2016.

It's just entertainment.

If all you are in it for is to win a SB then you are missing out on a lot.

_

4. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

I am not getting any younger Stokes lol

This year is as good as any for it to happen

5. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

It sure seems like our last SB was a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away.

Jets Esq. likes this.
  6. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

I think the pressure will be very much on Cincinatti. They play on Monday night, so they'll be well aware of the Steelers outcome from the day before which is most likely a win. Pittsburgh winning starts to put seeds of doubt in the Bengals' heads about losing the division and having to go on the road in Wild Card weekend. They also need to beat Denver to keep their bye. It's a huge game for them. If the Jets and Steelers both win the day before, a win or loss for Cincy could be the difference between the 1 seed and 5 seed. Insane.

7. RobA

RobA 2005-2007 TGG.com Most Optimistic Award Winner

And for Denver it could mean a bye vs. not playing at all!

Crazy to think that a 12 win team gets a bye, but an 11 win team could not make the tournament. What a weird year in the AFC.

Big Cat likes this.
  8. cbman13

cbman13 Well-Known Member

All AJ has ever done is win...... I wouldn't put it past him to outplay Brock Osweiler and lead Cincy to a win this weekend.

9. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

I love how everyone is already assuming we will just run over the Pats and look foward to the Cinci game.Who cares about playoff scenarios none of them will matter if we lose and there's a strong chance that we will.....

10. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Bowles miss the playoffs with a 10-6 record with the Cards one year?!

Look at where the Cards are now!

As tough as it is to digest I think we are in tough vs the Pats but I do believe we will win vs Rex as a consolation prize.

However being 10-6 is still a monumental step in the right direction for this franchise, Bowles and Mac in year one. I think we are on our way to being a playoff team and with a few home runs in the draft a legit contender down the road.

Never know maybe 10-6 could get us in if the wheels fall off in KC!

11. Jetsfansince95

Jetsfansince95 Well-Known Member

KC isn't going anywhere... though I would say this... our best shot is Denver losing out and us splitting the final 2 games and getting in !

12. EmbraceTheHate

EmbraceTheHate Active Member

I agree that the week-to-week entertainment, analysis, off-season discussions, etc... are a large part of the enjoyment of being a football fan. But, to say that this is the REAL enjoyment is asinine. Winning the Super Bowl is the REAL enjoyment. Nothing else compares to that feeling. When Malcolm intercepted the ball, everything froze for a few moments. The look in my kids eyes for the subsequent 5-10 minutes is something I will never, ever forget. Just pure, unadulterated joy. The next few weeks/months were filled with continuous elation/celebration. The NFL season/off-season is the appetizer... nothing wrong with enjoying a great appetizer, but a five-star entree is why you truly show up.

13. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

I don't get all of the, "we are in the right direction" comments. I heard them on the radio yesterday as well and it doesn't make sense. We are built to win NOW. We have a veteran team. It isn't like we have a young team where we just need them to develop to take the next step. We have aging veterans.

14. Jetsfansince95

Jetsfansince95 Well-Known Member

I think we have a solid group of both minus the O line which will be revamped this off season.

15. JStokes

If my team cheated to 4 Lombardi's I might feel that way--but I was only 10 for our 1 non-tainted SB so I didn't fully grasp what was going on.

Of course winning a non-tainted SB is the REAL enjoyment but if that's ALL that matters, as a fan you are missing something.

It's a long season and it's ok to be deflated if we don't make the playoffs. But to not give a shit about the season, to not gain any enjoyment from this season given how awful we've been the past 4 years, because we didn't make the playoffs, is shortsighted.

_

16. EmbraceTheHate

EmbraceTheHate Active Member

I never said you shouldn't gain any enjoyment from the season. That's actually the opposite of what I said.

As for me personally, I have enjoyed the shit out of the 4 tainted SB wins.

17. cbman13

cbman13 Well-Known Member

I agree it's totally possible that we lose this weekend and it won't matter. I'm just saying don't sleep on AJ and Cincy beating Denver

18. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

What I am most upset about is this scenario: There is a chance that the Jets can be eliminated this week at (9-6), while the Redskins can CLINCH their division this week and get a home playoff game at (8-7). Terrible.

19. JStokes

I was addressing the number of posters in this thread and others saying they don't give a shit how we did this year if we don't make the playoffs or win a SB and how this season would be a failure.

In that case, it's a failure for a lot of teams every year.

For me, last year was a failure because it sucked week in and week out watching that absolute shit show. It was drudgery and there was no anticipation heading into a game and I hated going to the games.

This season--to ME--is a success regardless of the outcome because I have gained a tremendous amount of enjoyment out of watching this specific team. The fact that we have a meaningful game AFTER Christmas considering what we've been since 2010 is incredible.

Small steps, as it were.

_

NYJetsO12 and MJK like this.
  20. MJK

MJK Well-Known Member

It usually takes franchises a decade to recover from having guys like Geno Smith being your franchise QB, Ryan being your head coach, and Idzick at GM. This season has been great regardless of the outcome. Probs to the same old Jets!