Playoff Picture (Merged x69)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by SunshineJet, Nov 26, 2009.

1. Milliner is your Mommy

Milliner is your Mommy Well-Known Member

Dont we play at Indianapolis?

2. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

We can beat Indy, outright. (we held N.O. to 10 offensive points in N.O. and that was week 4)

However, if they lose before then we may be looking at playing mostly backups.

3. NYJ_JD

NYJ_JD Member

IF FORGOT ABOUT COMMON OPPONENTS!.. ok so thats huge.. because the biggest problem i had with everything when I was working it out.. was BAL... and that they would have to lose to PITT but then PITT would have to lose.. but if we tie.. we get the tie breaker .. NICE!..

4. KHBirdman

KHBirdman Banned

Looking at the future schedule and the standings, this is what I think us Jets fans need to root for this week:

1.) Jets to beat Bucs
    2.) Panthers to beat Patriots
    3.) Miami vs. Jaguars - Not sure who to root for. I think we root for Jacksonville as they have a harder schedule remaining. And this puts up up 1 on Miami if we win.
    4.) Cincinatti to beat Minnesota - this game doesn't matter but we want Cincinatti to run away with the division so they rest players that final week vs. the Jets.
    5.) Lions to beat Ravens - This will never happen but one can only hope.
    6.) Browns to beat Steelers - This also will never happen but one can only hope.
    7.) Colts to beat Broncos - This would greatly help with Broncos up a 2 games in the WIld Card.
    8.) Seahawks to beat Texans - This would put Houston out of it. Plus, we have tie breaker over the Texans.
    9.) Rams to beat Tennessee - This would put the Titans out of it. Plus, we have tie breaker over the Titans.
    10.) Cowboys to beat Chargers - Doesn't matter that much as we want the Chargers to take the division.
    11.) Bills vs. Chiefs - Doesn't really matter with Buffalo two games back but I'm gonna root for the Chiefs.
    12.) Redskins vs. Oakland - Doesn't matter either as Oakland is about to be officially eliminated if they are not eliminated already.

5. truthbtold

truthbtold Well-Known Member

I disagree on a few points ...

We actually want Tenn and Texans to win, BECAUSE they both play the Dolphins and we want to keep them interested enough to beat them. Besides we're ahead of both of them, and as you said we have the tiebreakers, so we're not worried about them. (Remember, we're assuming the Jets will run the table and go 10-6)

Also ... We actually want the Broncos to beat the Colts, BECAUSE we're willing to concede the first wildcard spot to the Broncos and keep the Colts interested enough to beat the tar out of Jacksonville next week :)

6. truthbtold

I posted the reply in the wrong spot, but you get the idea :)

7. coachmimz17

coachmimz17 New Member

Guys you want the Dolphins to win this weekend against the Jags... It is a numbers game now, and the team with the few losses needs to lose. 7-6 a 3 way tie with 3 to play is a lot better than 7-6 1 game out with 3 to play...

Good chances that us, balt, pitt, jax and mia will all be 7-6 after this weekend.. Remember, Balt and Pitt are playing in an elimination game in week 16 more than likely, someone will have 7 losses out of those two.. Also, Pitt needs to lose to GB next week. jax should lose to IND next week.

8. truthbtold

True ... forgot to mention Miami, but we DO want them to win. Hard to swallow in the short term, but works for us in the long term. A four-way 7-6 tie would be a good result for us on Monday morning.

Pitt doesn't really matter in the mix. If they run the table and we run the table, we're in and they're out. So let them win all they want ... ESPECIALLY against Miami and Baltimore.

9. Inafalcs

Inafalcs Member

I'm calling that we are going to have to root for the a Browns upset over the Jags in week 17 to get in, I wonder if Mangini will give us one more gift.

10. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

Remaining Schedule of AFC teams we care about

http://www.newyorkjets.com/blog/posts/1382-jets-afc-foes-head-into-the-final-quarter

Useful article to analyze the last 4 matches of every wild-card hoping team in the AFC.

One question: Out of these teams who do we have the tie-breaker against if we finish with the same record?

From what I know:

+ Steelers (6-6): We beat Oakland, they lost... common opponents rule

- Jaguars (7-5): They beat us

- Patriots (7-5): They have a better div record

- Dolphins (6-6): Ehm... -.-'

??? Broncos (8-4), Ravens (6-6)

PS the article was written before the Ravens lost to GB on Monday night so they are 1 loss short.

11. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Dude von Dudestein, there are already plenty of threads like this...just post the article in one of them.

12. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

I thought this article gave more of a comlplete picture than the other threads... I also wanted to highlight on which opponents we had the Tie- breaker against.

If someone already made the same thread please can a mod move this one? Sorry for the extra work.

PS the problem is... the most relevant info on a thread should be in the 1st post... and many times on this site it's just someone asking: anyone have any ideas who we play!?

And all the info gets lost in the thread (try looking for it in a weeks time)... the 1st post should be actually containing some info.

#252 Mambo9, Dec 10, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2009
  13. ScotsJet

ScotsJet Active Member

Need at least 4 common opponents, I think. That said, their conference record is abysmal.

#253 ScotsJet, Dec 10, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2009
  14. SuperBowl50

SuperBowl50 Member

it's really simple:

Jets win

phins/jags only a tie will be absolutely good for us. we cheer for whoever wins here to lose next week.
    pats lose
    ravens lose

Since the Jags play the Pats in week 16, we control our destiny if these 4 teams lose once by then. That's about it.

And yes, we have the tie-breaker over Pitt if we both win out, so we don't care about them.

15. truthbtold

A Longshot, But ...

16. BadgerOnLSD

BadgerOnLSD Banned

Let's go Browns, I guess.

17. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

How the games need to go next week for best positive impact on the Jet's playoff chances - in order of importance, most relevant game first, and assuming the Jets win their game:

Carolina @ New England
    Miami @ Jacksonville
    Detroit @ Baltimore
    Denver @ Indianapolis
    Cincinnati @ Minnesota
    San Diego @ Dallas
    Pittsburgh @ Cleveland
    Seattle @ Houston
    St Louis @ Tennessee
    Buffalo @ Kansas City

That's all the games that affect the Jets chances in the order of importance with the teams most closely competing with the Jets and ahead (with Mia/Jax decided by the need for Jax to lose an extra game), followed by the teams well ahead of the Jets, followed by the teams most closely competing with the Jets and behind, followed by the teams barely competing with the Jets.

Oakland is not in the picture because they will be eliminated as a wildcard by the Broncos if the Broncos lose out.

18. MoLewisSoNasty

MoLewisSoNasty New Member

I know the Steelers game isn't all that important, but it would be awfully nice to see Pittsburgh virtually out of the hunt. Browns looking to score before the half! 6-0 CLE 2min warning

19. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

Browns beating the Steelers?!

How is this actually happening? What does this mean for the Jets in the overall picture if the Steelers actually lose? Obviously it help so lets cut through the snide replies.

But where will everything stand if the Jets win, the Steelers lose and Miami wins?

20. 624

624 Banned

The Steelers game doesn't mean anything to us unless we want to make the playoffs with 7 wins, because if we both win out we get the tiebreaker over them.