Playmaker Anyone?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NYJets28, Dec 10, 2006.

1. WestKyJetsFan

WestKyJetsFan New Member

Yeah that's "exactly" what we need...

Another Keyshaun

That worked out, REAL well!!!

2. FOURTHANDLONG

FOURTHANDLONG Active Member

How about another Curtis Martin!

3. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Oh boy this thread is full of some gems, I don't know where to start..

4. Attackett

Actually that did work out pretty well, he was the main playmaker on our best team since the 69 SB champs. Then we got TWO first round draft picks for him, I would say that worked out mighty well..

5. Tennessee Jet

Tennessee Jet New Member

This one is my personal favorite. Like these types of players are just sitting on their couches begging to get into the league! :)

6. FOURTHANDLONG

It seems like everybody has been able to find one of those players in the last 37 years other than the Jets! We can't even find a Thomas Jones or a Cadillac Willams for goodness sake! We had a deep threat named Santana Moss and our weak armed Qb could not get the ball downfield to him and now he is in Washington! A good draft choice would be perfect now that we have a Gm and Coach that actually know what their doing!

7. nico002

nico002 New Member

Coles Coth and Miller are huge play makers.

8. FOURTHANDLONG

Coles, Cotch and Miller are having Huge years. They are good supporting players but no are true number one playmaker. Would you pay any of them the same salaries as the best players at their position? Miller maybe in a few years as a Kick Returner.

9. ScotsJet

ScotsJet Active Member

Cadillac sucks, for what it's worth.

10. inSANITy

inSANITy Banned

i wouldnt say driver is really a playmaker if you say he is a playmnaker then so is coles. AS for the fins how can you say they have no playmakers, I hate the fins but give credit where its needed, RONNIE BROWN CHRIS CHAMBERS AND MICMICHAEL!!!! are u blind

11. FOURTHANDLONG

That is a great list of playmakers to Illustrate to the others what is meant by playmaker.

12. KJet84

KJet84 Member

First of all im not blind...ronnie brown hasnt proven anything while having a 3.9 Rushing avg and only 5 tds..i know he is been hurt, but until he can prove it to me he isnt. Chambers is WAY too unreliable..hell have a HUGE game and then follow it by catching one pass and dropping 10 balls. Chambers has 622 yards receiving and 4 TDs this year by the way. And McMichael only has 1 TD...so before you make some statement like "are you blind" check the facts...none of these guys are playmakers this year.

Secondly, I think youre blind if u cant admit that Driver is a playmaker..he is reliable and is a HUGE downfield threat (he does have a QB that can throw that far)...He has over 1100 yards already, 20 receptions for 20+ yards and 5 receptions of 40+ yards as well as 7 TDs. Coles has 5 Tds, 920 Yards, 10 of 20+ and 3 of 40+. Dont get me wrong, I love coles and i think he is a great #1 receiver, but you DONT have to gameplan aroudn him. Driver you do, as the Jets did and were able to stop him. Gets your facts straight

13. Attackett

Coles & Cotchery are every bit the playmakers as most of the players on that list..

14. KJet84

KJet84 Member

Vision...comeon man..defenses GAMEPLAN around Smith, Chad Johnson, Holt, TO and all those running backs etc...they dont gameplan on coles and cotch. They gameplan on stopping our run and getting to chad becuase they know when you get to chad, he has no time to lob balls.

Please please dont get me wrong in thinking that i dont like coles and cotch..they can be a HUGE 1-2 punch for years to come and they are SOLID..but they arent necessarily huge playmakers. All im saying is that we need to make an effort to get a running back that can break 50 yard runs or a QB that can get the ball downfield. If this doesnt happen, we will continue to get 8 men stacked in the box and jump on Chads routes. Chad has to be PERFECT for us to score because if we run twice for 3 yards each and chad misses his 4 yard pass..we punt. Most teams have a playmaker that other teams focus on...we on the other hand dont, so we have to do trick plays and tons of shifts to confuse the defense. I think this is responsible for chad makign some bad decisions. Its just as confusing for the offense sometimes.

15. hiker

hiker Well-Known Member

Coles and Cotchery are both "playmakers", anybody can fit that bill, all you need is a dominant offensive line and a deep passing game to spread the defense instead of having every defense the Jets face playing within 20yds of the line of scrimmage, knowing we can't throw beyond that point. Another couple of linemen, a solid threat at RB, and a quarterback with an arm, and you'll see that we already have plymakers, we just don't give them a chance to show it.

The Saints success this season proves me right. Colston would be a nobody on our roster.

16. Attackett

I just think your list is faulty, they are by no means on the level of a Smith, Johnson or Holt but they are definetly on the next level. Teams stack the box because they know Chad can't beat them downfield.. I'll stand by what I said, Coles & Cotchery are every bit the playmakers of about half your list..

17. FOURTHANDLONG

Well said Kjet84. If other teams can stack the box against then that alone proves we don't have a playmaker.

18. MawaesDaMan

MawaesDaMan New Member

I think we have potential. It just needs to develop, yes if Chad threw a better long ball or if we had a real everydown pound the rock back it would help, but we dont right now. I watched Bush take that screen and go, but why do you think that worked? Yes he is talented, but the LBs are focused on Duece up the middle, who is no slouch. "Playmakers" are a byproduct of having solid players in other positions. I may be too optimistic, but if we had a RB who was consistent and pounded the ball well, then we could line up Leon on the outside and do similar things. How many plays are Bush and Deuce on the field together, Payton creates mismatches. I like what Shotty has done so far but playmkers are also a byproduct of playcalling. Baker has had big plays and could be as productive as Heap if his number was called more. Coles and Cotch and Smith for that matter all have big play ability. I think the team is close. We are maybe one piece, big time TB or Clemens developing very well, away from having a high powered offense.

19. NYJets28

NYJets28 Member

To make a long story short...when is the last time that we had a skill position player make the Pro Bowl other than Curtis Martin. Now, Curtis is my favorite player of all-time but he never really got me jumping off of my couch. I don't think we have a single skill position player that other teams would love to have. I look at Chad Johnson and think..."Hmmm...he would look good in Green & White". Do you really think anyone is drooling over Cedric Houston? So, I'm not saying our guys are crap, just that they have trouble taking over games (a la Steve Smith in the playoffs a couple of years ago).

20. NYJets28

NYJets28 Member

I actually agree with a lot of what you said aside from the Baker part. He is marginal at best IMHO.