Players & Position Battles to Watch in TC

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NCJetsfan, Jun 17, 2021.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

You can't compare stats like that with players from one draft to another. EVERYTHING is sometimes different, level of competition, teams they played against, what other good/great players their teams had at their positions or surrounding/supporting positions, differences in coaching philosophies and systems, the number of other quality players in the draft, how many years of stats the players had. Think about it...it was a factor for many this year in how they viewed/rated Zach and Fields or Zach and Lawrence, and they were in the same draft. When there are several years between drafts, the gulf widens, because views of sports writers change. Just look at how the view of TEs has changed, and look at how mobile QBs who can throw sidearm have changed since Mahomes.

Yeboah's stats at Temple were underwhelming over 4 years. Then he had one pretty good year at Ole Miss, but NFL scouts and GMs had zero opportunities to conduct in-person interviews, couldn't bring him in for workouts and whiteboard sessions, couldn't go to games, there were few or no Pro Days and no Combine. That made a huge difference to how much NFL teams knew about players, and made them more wary of lower-echelon players who had not played well over a number of years. Contrast that with Herndon. He played all 3 years at a major college program, scouts were able to go to his games, they were able to do in-person interviews and workouts, and they were able to go to Pro Days and the Combine. NFL GMs and scouts thus had a much better handle on the type of player they were potentially drafting and could feel more confident.

#21 NCJetsfan, Jun 19, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2021
  2. wewantsapp

wewantsapp Well-Known Member

I'll always be disappointed that we didn't find a way to take a 6th round flyer on a big favorite of mine = Trey Smith OG from Tennessee who went to Kansas City at the very end of the 6th round. Especially considering the top 25 news from NY Post talking about Alex Smith & GVR.

I just googled him to see if there was any news & saw the below;
    https://www.si.com/nfl/chiefs/gm-re...-the-kansas-city-chiefs-o-line-youth-movement

I hope I'm not right --- but I'll got a feeling that I'll be looking back after 3 seasons with a little "I knew it".

3. NCJetsfan

JD may have liked him, but had promised Saleh that all of the late round picks would go to D since all the early ones went to offense.

4. DefenseWinsChampionships

I was screaming for Trey Smith too. Until we ended up stealing my FSU kid in Hamsah Nasirildeen in the 6th and I wouldn't trade Hamsah Nasirildeen for Trey Smith and not for the life of me; Nasirildeen is by far the most physical DB within FSU history.

I will admit, I wish we would've selected Trey Smith during the 5th instead of Jamien Sherwood.

5. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

what happened to the Moses thread?

6. patleahy

patleahy Well-Known Member

7. DefenseWinsChampionships

I thought it was pretty funny how he's the one who started the Moses thread despite the original thread going as follows...

DWC = Moses. "Fant stinks".
    Roach = Fant. "Moses PFF scores stink".

But then he starts the "Official Moses Thread" I couldn't stop laughing.

I love TGG never a boring moment ha

8. JetFan20

JetFan20 Well-Known Member

The biggest (literally and figuratively) player to watch in camp outside of camp is Mehki Becton. Curious to see what weight he comes in at.

Noam likes this.
  9. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Over

10. patleahy

Push....;):(

K'OB likes this.
  11. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

Is that how you think the convo went?

I’m done laughing at you, now I pity you.

12. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

He's got a Manhattan sized inferiority complex. That's as clear as day.

Noam and KingRoach like this.
  13. patleahy

KingRoach likes this.
  14. RochesterJet

RochesterJet Well-Known Member

NCJetsfan, patleahy and ouchy like this.
  15. wewantsapp

wewantsapp Well-Known Member

I knew it, I knew it, I knew it.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jefffe...ne-of-the-nfls-best-bargains/?sh=10f5d4f14b56

""During the first week of training camp, rookie Trey Smith was starting at right guard over veteran Laurent Duvernay-Tardif.""

16. DefenseWinsChampionships

As an FSU fan I'm estatic we stole Hamsah Nasirildeen during the 6th round as a 1st round talent etc.

But I was screaming at my TV for us to take Trey Smith during the 5th x3 (instead of Sherwood, CB Michael Carter II and Jason Pinnock ) and then I was still screaming at my TV to draft Trey Smith during the 6th round x2 (instead of Brandin Echols and Jonathan Marshall).

I love JD but I'm SEC crazed football down here in the deep south (Florida) and imo it's criminal how we kept on passing up on one of the most dominant SEC Guards coming out in Trey Smith out of Tennessee and it's criminal because imo RG is still our weakest O-Line position and maybe the weakest position on our entire Football team.

I was pissed off when Kansas City stole him at the very bottom of round 6. I'm still livid about it because I believe he's got All-Pro potential. My exact thoughts were great just great the rich just got richer.

I loved the Hamsah Nasirildeen 6th round selection but to pass on a talent such as Trey Smith 5x throughout the 5th and 6th rounds? It makes no sense to me.

Because I can not stand Van Roten.

17. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I think Vyncint Smith ends up losing out on the 6th WR spot and the room ends up looking like Davis, Moore, Crowder, Cole, Berrios, Mims.

No way Mims is given up on this early and he could end up developing into a very nice receiver. I don't think it's likely the Jets keep 7 receivers with such a strong unit and a number of legit ?'s in other areas.

NCJetsfan, FJF and stinkyB like this.
  18. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

I wonder if there’s a trade market for mims. Maybe keeping Smith and adding a draft pick is better value than cutting Smith for mims.
    I’m going to get killed for this post

19. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I'm sure there is, he's a second year receiver with a ton of ability, I just don't see Joe pulling the trigger on something like that unless there's something seriously wrong in this guy's head (which there haven't been any rumors about) because it's only his second year.

The value that Mims brings as a red zone threat probably outweighs the combination of what the Jets could get in a trade plus Smith's contributions as a depth guy and on STs.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  20. NCJetsfan

If you thought you were going to get killed by me, it's not going to happen. I'm sure there would be a trade market for Mims if JD was thinking along those lines, but I'm certain that he isn't. It's waaaaaaaay too early to even begin to think about giving up on Mims. Keeping Smith and adding a draft pick is not better value than keeping Mims and cutting Smith. Smith drops too many passes. Mims has much better hands and is a better all around WR and football player. Don't forget that he is also an excellent blocker which is required of WRs in this scheme. If Smith continues to look good, I think he could make it onto the PS if the Jets really want to keep him around.

Personally, I think they might be more interested in keeping Jeff Smith around as he is more adept at getting YAC. It will be interesting to see what happens.