Phillip Rivers/Norv Turner combo?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DarrelleRevis.Human?, Jan 1, 2013.

1. Jet Rider

Jet Rider New Member

Rather have Rivers then Vick anyday

2. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

This makes me wonder...What kind of internal talks. We don't even have a GM? Is this a clear indicator that Woody is going to dictate the shots?

3. CJLang

CJLang Well-Known Member

I wouldn't worry about that trade ever happening. No way the Chargers would give up Rivers AND a 1st round pick for Revis and Sanchez.

The Chargers are gonna be getting a seriously overpayed scrub QB and a great CB that already is being paid alot of money, who also will be looking to break the bank after next season.

Not gonna happen.

4. TurkJetFan

Agreed. However, there MAY be a chance we can get Rivers for Sanchez given Rivers is getting up there in years and Sanchez is younger and could benefit from a change in scenery. Since we'll likely have to eat most of the salary cap hit its not much to lose for SD who would be able to drop Sanchez or rework his deal following 2013. The Sanchez for Rivers theory is feasible.

I'm not familiar with River's contract however from what I know I like the idea. It'll rid us of Mark, and get us a QB who no matter how you look at it is just better. If we can pair him up with his former HC it makes the transition seamless and at least provides us something of an identity on offense.

#44 TurkJetFan, Jan 1, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2013
  5. NotSatoshiNakamoto

I've seen a few people express this sentiment now. I just don't get it. Revis is a CB, Rivers is a very good QB. Our pass defense was fine without Revis. Our offense blows.

Revis will probably be a FA in 2013 anyway. We might as well get some value for him while we can, and Rivers IMO would be great value. I highly doubt the new Chargers GM is going to be willing to trade a very good QB for a great CB anyway.

6. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Wait, what? Did I misread this? You think they would possibly trade Rivers for Sanchez? Straight up? You must not have gone to bed from last night yet.

7. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

I don't think Norv will be interested in coming to Jets. And San Diego isn't stupid enough to trade Rivers for Sanchez unless we give them something valuable.

8. TurkJetFan

Or you must not be watching the NFL very closely. Rivers is getting up there in years and has had 2 straight let down seasons. Compound that with his HC being canned. Sanchez is younger and could benefit from a change in scenery. And yes they can dump him or rework his contract if it works out for them. If not if gives them a year to evaluate and reload.

From our perspective it allows us to at least hold over the QB position for a year and draft a QB either this year or next to groom on the bench. Rivers has maybe 2 years left in him and his current level of play hasn't been inspiring.

9. TurkJetFan

I'm fine with trading Revis but not for Rivers. Don't go bonkers over his name. He has not been the Philip Rivers you have come to know and love over the course of his career. We can get much more in return for Revis than present day Philip Rivers.

10. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Or the report is total bullshit which is what I'd put my money on.

11. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

"Internal discussion" = San Diego haven't had chance to laugh at the trade yet.

12. TurkJetFan

Could be...But Steiny is pretty good and has a good track record IMO. And he definitely has solid sources inside the Jets org. We don't know if this is a hard line plan or just something that was mentioned in passing. But I have more faith in Steiny than main line reporters like Manish.

13. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

Rivers is a proven QB, he needs talent though. When his talent left like Sanchez's, he struggled.

He also was under immense pressure to carry the team, if he came to NY he would have the defense to lean on. Im all for this move.

14. NotSatoshiNakamoto

What makes you think Rivers only has 2 years left?

He is having a down season that will probably, but not certainly result in his first time in 5 years not passing for 4000 yards. He'll likely end up w/just under 4000 passing this year. All he did last year is almost pass for 5000 yards and throw 27 TD passes.

Sanchez has zero value to anyone.

15. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

I think we will give them out first round pick, but honestly it might be worth it. We arent winning next season with Mark .

16. TurkJetFan

I think the firing of Norv means they will be more than willing to dangle and move on from Rivers as well. People laugh at a Sanchez for Rivers trade but anyone paying attention to the overall NFL will know this is not all that silly at closer look. Maybe we'll need to throw in a late pick or something along those lines but anyone laughing at this trade is simply looking at names and not reality.

17. dr.velociraptor

dr.velociraptor Tired of BS

We can't give up picks and take on Rivers salary while paying Sanchez 8.5 million to ride the bench. We'll end up paying Phillip Rivers like Peyton Manning.

Plus Rivers doesn't protect the ball, no thanks.

18. TurkJetFan

Wait...We need to give SD our 1st round pick for Philip Rivers? LMAO

If the Chargers are intersted in trading Rivers we could potentially get it done with Sanchez plus a 5th onward. Philip Rivers days of being an elite QB are 2 years over with. If we had this conversation 4 years ago then yes definitely a 1st.

19. ILL-AL

ILL-AL Active Member

Because Cromartie proved this year that we can still have one of the top secondaries without Revis and more importantly WITHOUT a holdout every other year

20. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

Im a little confused though, how could the Jets and Chargers be talking without either team having a GM?