Philbin Fired

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by Don, Oct 5, 2015.

1. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

All right - FIGURATIVELY taking dump. Happy?

2. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

yes

3. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

I think Mangini is a much better coach then Rex and like other posters have said, I think he'd be a pretty good hire for the Dullphins.

4. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Why has the Belichik tree not produced a good coach yet?

Answer: most guys won't cheat and very few have the ability to intimidate players the way Belichik does.

Mangini tried to get #2 going with the Jets and was unsuccessful.

I think he'd be a disaster with the Fins even with a friend as the GM. I think the only way Eric Mangini is ever going to be a good NFL head coach is if you make him the major domo, HC + all player personnel decisions and everybody knowing that's the case.

Belichik gets away with his player intimidation because he's the only voice in the organization in terms of acquiring and firing players. He has the player's job security in his hands 24/7.

#84 Br4d, Oct 17, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2015
  5. Jersey Joe 67

I still think Mangini has some good qualities to bring to the table as a HC but his people skills leave a lot to be desired .
    If he and Rex had a baby maybe that would make for a good HC but who knows?
    Still I think he's a smart football guy and one of the better offshoots of the Belicheat tree .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Br4d

He's still young enough that if somebody handed him the keys to the organization he might build a dynasty for them. He might also run the place right into the ground but if you're Jacksonville what do you have to lose?

If you want to go that way you hire a caddy GM to handle the financial stuff and give everything else to Mangini.

7. Jersey Joe 67

I can't disagree with your assessment , I'd like to see him given another shot .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

How many chances does a head coach get nowadays in the NFL?

I think the over/under is two.

X's & O's are one thing...dealing with 53 fragile egos is quite another. Mangini is lacking in that aspect, and that's not an easy thing to change.

Crusty old Tom Coughlin pulled it off somehow...I'm trying to think of another head coach that did so successfully.

9. Br4d

The Browns job was a trainwreck. Mangini couldn't say no after getting fired by the Jets but it was a coach-killing job from the moment he walked in the door.

He probably needs another 2 or 3 years as a DC before he gets his last chance as a HC. Some things just need to age before they get just right. He's still 4 years younger than Belichick was when he got his last shot with the Pats.

BTW, I'm not suggesting that he's a good buy for an organization that is trying to get untracked. Belichick could have been 3 and out in New England if a couple of lucky breaks hadn't kick-started the dynasty. Mangini is one of the guys you look at as a potential dynasty guy if he manages to get out of his own way and make it happen.

10. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

I still don't get all the media love affair Mangini got when he was [rumored] to come to the Jets. His track record as a DB coach and HC isn't all that stellar. His performance at Browns wasn't all that out of norm either. His record with Jets wasn't all that [stellar] either - decent maybe, but definitely not stellar. True, he can turn the corner and become the next Belichick, but he didn't win anything as a coordinator; he was a DB coach when Pats won the SB with him on the coaching staff. That's different from Belichick; he was a defensive coordinator with the Giants. I just don't see Mangini turning into anything useful for that reason.

jdon likes this.
  11. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

Lets not forget that there is no Belichick without Brady. I always loved Belichick as an assistant and yes, he made the playoffs once in Cleveland and got 10 or 11 wins in the Cassel year. But hey, Herman Edwards made the playoffs. So did Mangini. Belichick's passport to immortality has been BRADY. Maybe he could have scaled the heights without Brady. He is a great defensive mind. It could also be that Mo Lewis saved his job, and he may not have gotten another as a head coach. We can never know that.

12. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Which means - in order for Mangini to pan out, you need to have Mangini hitting his super lucky lottery with his QB draft pick [1] after he wins his another HC gig. [2] If that doesn't happen, Mangini probably won't pan out as you pointed out with Belichick without Brady scenario. That's two major IF. I don't see how that happens in real life - one of them happening would be a life-time experience. Two? Holy.

Denigrate the cheater all you want *I know I will* - but you can't ignore 4 rings he won. Until Mangini wins his first, he is nothing but a asshole gasbag to me.

13. NYJFan10

NYJFan10 Well-Known Member

Generally although Carroll needed three kicks at the can and to accomplish extraordinary things at USC before getting that third kick in the pros.